“Fantastic Museum!”

Ranked #1 of 667 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See why the Art Institute of Chicago is the only museum in the world to be top-ranked by TripAdvisor four years in a row! Experience the greatest Impressionist collection outside Paris, and view contemporary masterpieces in the spectacular Modern Wing. Stand before classics like Nighthawks, and travel the globe through galleries devoted to the art of ancient Greece, Japan, Africa, and the Americas.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Loved the Art Institute - it's a must for art lovers of any age. Especially recommend it if you are stuck in a rainy spell during your visit - you can wander there for hours and still not see everything!

Reviewed 12 June 2011

This is a great art museum...a great place to go if you have nothing to do on a weekend. I went with a friend and we leisurely strolled along with no agenda in mind. I loved the Thorne Miniature Rooms and the paperweight collection (not huge but interesting to see). I definitely want to see the Photography (hadn't opened yet) section and the African American Art section (opens in July) next time I go.

1  Thank dclement04
Reviewed 4 June 2011

The art is awesome as everyone has mentioned. It's a huge museum, so pace yourself. This review is more about their coat/bag check policy. I had a backpack so I checked my bag. The fee is $1 per item. Okay that's fine. The attendant asks if I have food or drinks in my bag and I replied, "Yes. I have a bottled water." The attendant tells me to remove the water because that they can't check in food or liquids. When asked why, she explained that other people may have brought in electronics and they didn't want any food or liquids to damage the electronics. They handed me a plastic bag to carry my water around the museum. Even when I said that bottled water was unopened, they said that didn't matter.

I would think that carrying water around all the art would be a bigger concern to the museum. I also think that there are more people checking bags containing food/water than those containing laptops. Maybe instead, they can ask if people are checking electronics instead and put all the bags with electronics in a separate area, away from any water. The negative customer experience at the bag check was a bad way to start off the visit. Thank goodness the art made up for this.

3  Thank cheerymc
Reviewed 3 June 2011

did not expect to see so many masters- Renoir, Monet, VanGogh and more than one of each. I live close to DC and we'd get excited when the galleries would be lent just one of these. I went at 3:50pm during the week (I was in Chicago for a meeting) and the cashier said if I waited until 4pm the ticket would be half price. Definitely worth it!

Reviewed 2 May 2011

I loved the Art Institute. Besides the fact that the building itself is architecturally interesting, the quality of the art inside was pleasantly surprising. It was like a mini-Met. It features famous paintings (American Gothic, The Blue Guitarist, Water Lilies, Nighthawks, Van Gogh's Bedroom, etc.) and high-quality artificats from Egyptian, Hellenic and ancient Asian times. The contemporary stuff is impressive as well. Definitely worth visiting, especially on one of those cold, windy, snowy, or otherwise dreary Chicago days.

2  Thank corklevy