“Beautiful building, wonderful displays”

The Art Institute of Chicago
Ranked #1 of 657 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See why the Art Institute of Chicago is the only museum in the world to be top-ranked by TripAdvisor four years in a row! Experience the greatest Impressionist collection outside Paris, and view contemporary masterpieces in the spectacular Modern Wing. Stand before classics like Nighthawks, and travel the globe through galleries devoted to the art of ancient Greece, Japan, Africa, and the Americas.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I loved the ambience of the buildings I visited, but was very sorry I didn't have time for longer than an hour on this visit. My first priority was to see "American Gothic", but then I caught the Roy Lichtenstein retrospective, and rested my feet in the Asian art exhibition.

There are newer reviews for The Art Institute of Chicago

Reviewed 17 June 2012

If the thought of spending a lot of time in an art museum seems underwhelming, this could be an opportunity to have an different outcome. Check out the Art Institute's website for special events, or choose a genre, such as Impressionism, and JUST GO THERE. Walking into such an enormous museum and wandering can be daunting, but having a goal of seeing one particular exhibit or genre can make this an exceptional museum trip. I found myself saying "Wow, that's here? And that, and that..!" I love museums, but I don't want to spend a day in them, so that's what I did here, and got to see some great artwork that appealed to me. They also have a great little place to eat when you need a break.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

This Art Institute has one of the worlds greatest selection of Impressionist paintings.It has public lectures and tours.It has a new modern wing with special exhibits. There is an assortment of works by Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso, Chagall ,Dali and other famous painters.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Seeing some famous works by Piccaso, Van Gogh, Dali and many others was an unforgettable experience. Adult admission is $18.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

There is a good selection of Impressionist (Claude Monet etc) paintings which I enjoy. The armor room is awesome! There is a fairly good size collection of Asian/ Indian sculptures,drawings, paintings. In particular I was impressed by a 2 foot Buddah-there was just such a peaceful look on his face. And it would not be Chicago without the Chagall Windows. The place is downtown and very easy to get to. For older folks-be advised there are lots of stairs but there are many benches as well. There is a touch the art exhibit someplace in there but I have not personally seen it. Otherwise for younger kids I don't think I would recommend it unless they are bribed. I have been here several times but can not get past 2 'modern art' exhibitions years ago. One involved an American flag on the floor that had to be walked on in order to get to the complaint book at the other end. The other was a crucifix in a bottle of urine. I think of those everytime I visit and while the art is good I just can't get past their concept of 'free expression'.

3  Thank spinkick