“Wow - the Lichenstein retrospective is a must visit”

The Art Institute of Chicago
Ranked #1 of 638 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See why the Art Institute of Chicago is the only museum in the world to be top-ranked by TripAdvisor four years in a row! Experience the greatest Impressionist collection outside Paris, and view contemporary masterpieces in the spectacular Modern Wing. Stand before classics like Nighthawks, and travel the globe through galleries devoted to the art of ancient Greece, Japan, Africa, and the Americas.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Paris
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Wow - the Lichenstein retrospective is a must visit”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We got tickets to a late afternoon visit which included a cocktail and nibbles in the courtyard, as well as a visit to the Lichenstein retrospective. This set the scene perfectly, with the live Jazz band backdrop. But the retrospective itself is just amazing. I discovered works that I had never before associated with Lichenstein. And seeing those incredible pop art works up close was a fascinating experience. If you can figure out just how he did some of the pictures (the Cathedral of Rouen for example) then I'd be interested to know. The 'Ben-Day' dots process can only get one so far!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stamford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Temporary Pop art show -Roy Lichtenstein...”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

It has a lot of different combination of different era in art and sculpture. Nice and lovely out door garden to rest, eat or have something for refreshing. It consists of the modern Pop- art artists during the time of my visit. It please me very well just by seeing those of my favorite artist's works.

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Became a member on my first visit”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The total collection is staggering. I took two hours and barely finished the excellent French Impressionist exhibit. I am attending a members-only Liechtenstein early admission event this weekend. Will come back often, this place is a jewel.

Los Angeles, California
“Not to be missed.”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

World class museum that will dazzle you for weeks if you let it.

Cumming, GA
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The art in this museum will blow you away. I loved it! So much to see....wish I could have been there all day. However, I brought four kids (who were fee!), but it's not ideal, for all kids. I have a child with special needs, who I usually have sit on the floor and play with my phone....he's not usually interested in this sort of thing, but they wouldn't allow it. He had to be on a bench. It worked out, but I was nervous....for multiple reasons. On of my children gave another one a piggy back ride, not allowed. I kinda get it....extraordinary art...but I was so nervous with the kids. Just a fair warning:).