“more than a landmark, it's a beautiful theatre designed for perfect accoustics”

The Chicago Theatre
Ranked #24 of 638 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's breath-taking National Landmark Theatre hosts concerts, comedians, theatrical productions and special events every year. The 3,600 seat auditorium is seven stories high, and the vertical "C-H-I-C-A-G-O," sign is one of the few such signs in existence today. A symbol of State Street and Chicago, the marquee is a landmark in itself, as is the Wurlitzer pipe organ. Patrons can also go behind-the-scenes on their educational venue tour, which runs a few times a week.
Atlanta, Georgia
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have been to the famed and iconic Chicago Theatre for a guitarist's show and once for a tour. I was impressed both times. The theater was designed for acoustics and aesthetics. It is a gorgeous facility and a wonder to see even when no one is performing on stage.

Visited August 2014

• Korean first
Belle Mead, New Jersey
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Marquee Tour is a Must”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I should start off by saying that I was not here for a show but rather for the Marquee Tour. The approximately 60-minute guided tour takes you through all of the public and backstage areas. Our guide provided a detailed explanation of the rich and interesting history of this beautiful venue while also answering questions. The highlight was standing on stage looking out at the (empty) theater. Another perk: we were allowed to take as many pictures as we wanted! A must-do in my book!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank kramden88
Pulaski, WI
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Building!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have been to this theatre many times and I always feel like I'm stepping back in time when we walk through the doors. It is just beautiful! The people who work the events are efficient and polite and the place runs like a well-oiled machine. It seems like the workers enjoy their jobs and the people as well. Rare. We have seen comedians and other shows as well and it is always a treat!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mike_and_Debbie
Manchester, New Hampshire
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What an incredible place”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I went to the Chicago Theater for my graduation and this place is absolutely amazing! What beautiful architecture. One of the best I've ever seen.

Visited July 2014
Madrid, Spain
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great place, great fun!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've been at the Chicago Theater for an amazing tribute for Jimmy Hendrix, and boy, what an amazing show and what an amazing theater as well! The Theater itself is a very old building, but very well conserved and with excellent structure and a beautiful architecture. If there's any concert there when you step by the Windy City, go there!

Visited January 2014