“Beautiful Concert Hall”

Ranked #23 of 671 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's breath-taking National Landmark Theatre hosts concerts, comedians, theatrical productions and special events every year. The 3,600 seat auditorium is seven stories high, and the vertical "C-H-I-C-A-G-O," sign is one of the few such signs in existence today. A symbol of State Street and Chicago, the marquee is a landmark in itself, as is the Wurlitzer pipe organ. Patrons can also go behind-the-scenes on their educational venue tour, which runs a few times a week.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The architecture and design of this theater makes it one of the best locations to watch a concert or musical performance of any type in Chicago.
OF course, it's iconic 'Chicago' sign makes it a must-see for everyone visiting Chicago .. I've seen a few concerts here over the years and the beauty of it's design and it's acoustics just make me want to go back every time.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I bought a "Go Chicago" three-day pass, and the Chicago Theatre Tour was included. We were in a small group of about 10, and our theatre guide (I forget his name- he is the house manager) was excellent. You could really tell he had a passion for the theatre, and worked hard to include extra details about the building, and even took us downstairs to the green room when someone requested it. Many historic details are included on the tour, as well as architectural and interesting features of the theatre such as the organ, various renovations and the chandeliers as well as how many lightbulbs are in the famous sign. We definitely got our value from the tour being included in our pass, but I'm not sure I'd pay a lot more than the $15 they're charging without the pass.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

For Mother's Day, my hubby took me to a show here. First, the Theatre is just gorgeous. I have never met the designer, architect or any of the creative genius of people who supported its construction, but I would like to let them know how wonderful of a theatre it is simply for its beauty! Yes the acoustics are spot on. Yes there were refreshments to purchase, at least during our show. Yes there are bathrooms. All that is nice and everything, but this is just a gem of a place to have in this city and I am glad I got a chance to visit it. Oh, the show we saw here was good too.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have been to the famed and iconic Chicago Theatre for a guitarist's show and once for a tour. I was impressed both times. The theater was designed for acoustics and aesthetics. It is a gorgeous facility and a wonder to see even when no one is performing on stage.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I should start off by saying that I was not here for a show but rather for the Marquee Tour. The approximately 60-minute guided tour takes you through all of the public and backstage areas. Our guide provided a detailed explanation of the rich and interesting history of this beautiful venue while also answering questions. The highlight was standing on stage looking out at the (empty) theater. Another perk: we were allowed to take as many pictures as we wanted! A must-do in my book!

1  Thank kramden88

Been to The Chicago Theatre? Share your experiences!