“Wish I had more time here”
Review of The Field Museum

Ranked #10 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am a history person and could have spent 2 days here. A huge amount of things to check out. For the two 14 year olds with me though, 4+ hours was enough, by that time they were hungry and ready to move on. Up until that time though they really enjoyed it as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,340)
All reviews
in 235 reviews
"on display"
in 172 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very old museum with very complete and attractive exhibits. A must in Chicago. Sue, the T Rex was amazing to see.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our four year old daughter was mesmerized by one room after the other. The building itself is awesome and the exhibits are insane. The Ancient Egypt tomb is immense and transports you to another place. The only reason this isn't five stars is because we're members of the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles, so the animal exhibits were lost on us; amazing, but been there done...

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Lucy the T Rex is the greatest archaeological find in the world - ever. Super Cool 3-D movie to boot. Vintage exhibits dating back 100 years are extraordinary...new stuff worked in well. Make your own wax dinosaur for $3 is awesome!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family went to the Field Museum this past week. We'd been to Chicago before, but our girls were too young then to fully appreciate the museum experience. This time we thought we'd hit the museums and first on our list was Field. This building is beautiful, some of the exhibits are top-notch, other exhibits (such as the World's Fair of 1893) left me thinking, "really, this is all Field has to offer here?" I am a history fanatic and quite honestly, if I had not known the background history of the fair I would've completely missed the significance of it by only viewing this exhibit. The other item was the Waking the T-Rex 3D movie. Obviously this is a science museum and therefor there will be many claims of evolution. We were prepared for this, but this movie was laughable in all of its descriptions of how things were anywhere from "64 million" to "over 100 million" years ago. A few times the dialogue would go into great detain of how the earth was and how the dinosaurs were stating fact after fact after fact followed by a "we think" on the end. I would honestly appreciate that while we do not believe in the religion of evolution they would at least be more "up front" with how little they actually know.
Finally, my family had the CityPass for Chicago, but had we not, it would've cost my family over $100 to go. I certainly can't fathom spending that much money here. Rent a bike from Bike and Roll Millenium Park and just ride past these buildings on the campus - you'll really be getting the best of them that way!

1  Thank HeatherS1

Been to The Field Museum? Share your experiences!