“Good Location, Friendly Staff, Dingy Hotel”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #53 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Last minute trip to Chicago and we only stayed two nights. I just about considered changing hotels because it really was quite dingy. The bathroom shower made me a bit queasy but as I mentioned, it was only two nights and the location was great. We had a nice view and the bed was pretty comfortable.

What really make this hotel 3 stars instead of 2 is the great staff. They really were exceptional. Just about the nicest people I have encountered in an urban hotel. They gave good suggestions, were always smiling and never let anyone wait around. So, kudos to the staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WhoWantsToGo
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and noticed the friendliest stay in the downtown Chicago area!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed in Chicago for 4 days and loved our stay at the Springhill Suites. Conveniently situated in the heart of downtown Chicago and a walking distance to all the shops and attractions. Staff were courteous and always had a smile on the faces. Delicious complementary breakfast. Expensive parking though!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MightyCoco

Thank you for the 4-Star review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and liked our fantastic location here at River North! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I made my reservations about a month ago and then this week I was on the hotel's website and noticed weekend specials at a better rate so I canceled and rebooked, saving $30 a night and getting my room for $153 a night, a great deal for this central location a block from the Chicago River!

The location did have one downside - there was a lot of noise from the street, late into the night. I was surprised how loud it was, even from the 25th floor.

The room itself was clean and comfortable, with the modern decor you expect from Springhill Suites.

One unique feature of this hotel - it was both a Springhill Suites and Residence Inn, all in one. To one side the lobby was one hotel, with it's usual decor, to the other, it was the other. They shared a fitness center and pool on the top level, and the front desk could help you, no matter where your reservation was. When I arrived there was a long line for check in at the Springhill Suites side and no line at the Residence Inn side. I was directed to the other side and quickly checked in and able to access my room.

I would definitely stay at this property - under either brand - on a return trip to Chicago.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Dearborn were very loud, even on the 25th floor. Perhaps it is quieter facing one of th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank StacyInDC2012

Thank you very much for the wonderful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Regards,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I came with my family to Chicago to run the marathon for the second time, ours was a 6 night stay. The location could not have been better, my wife and kids had the chance to see me pass at 3 different points all very close to the hotel. In addition the distance to the marathon starting line in Grant Park is in walking distance and belive me that is something great for a runner.
The hotel is just two blocks from The Magnificent Mile and all the other touristic places in downtown Chicago are really close too; there is a lot of nice restaurants and iconic restaurants like Billy Goat that are just steps from the hotel.
The rooms are very, very clean and in general all the property is well taken care of. Rooms are small but nice, they only have two minor problems in my point of view, one is that they only have a very small closet and 3 drawers, and the other is that the tv cabinet/drawer is in between the living room and the beds so you don't have the TV in front of you but in a forced angle to the living room.
Their staff is HIGHLY motivated, specially the girl that runs the restaurant, who was happy and nice all the time we were there.
The complimentary breakfast is probably the one with wider selection that I have ever seen, food is not pre-made but made at their kitchen; they have choices for all kind eating, including healthy choices, the only minor negative thing is the cardboard plates. An early breakfast for the marathon runners will be a plus.
This is my kind of stay, well located, safe, simple, clean and with good food.
Hope to be back for next years marathon and this is going to be my place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank xelaju007

Thank you so much for the 5-Star review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and the location for the Chicago Marathon. Our staff truly is motivated as we are all strving to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in downtown Chicago. Thank you again for the nice review and we'll see you next year for the marathon!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I've spent 2 nights in this hotel. The location is great, right in the center of downtown Chicago. However I found it expensive for what it provides...especially the fact that there is no bottle of water in the bedroom...for $250/night, I think the minimum would be to offer a bottle of water!

Regarding the breakfast, quality is alright, but not great!
The bed was quite confortable though, the room is not bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Reza F

Thank you for the nice review! I'm very glad you enjoyed your room and breakfast!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Springhill Suites! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The decor and furniture was modern and sleek. The free breakfast was fantastic but crowded on the weekends. The only bad thing was expensive parking - but that is to be expected in Chicago.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on a high floor to get the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Starcaster9

Thank you so much for the 4-Star review! I'm very happy to see you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I used to stay at the Springhill frequently for work and the rooms were great but this hotel is definitely starting to show its age. The rooms and lobby are in serious need of an upgrade. The front desk staff is very friendly and they have chupa chups which makes it all worth it.

Room Tip: Hotel is in downtown Chicago so you're going to want a room that's higher up
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very sorry you feel our hotel is getting old and outdated. I truly believe our SpringHill Suites has a very modern and clean looking room and lobby. Being a 5 year old hotel, our team does a great job of keepinng the condition of the hotel looking new as much as possible. We also take pride in being the cleanest hotel in downtown Chicago. I truly hope you enjoyed your stay and would like to see you again on your next business trip to downtown Chicago!

Regards,