“Highly recommend a stop at Shokolade!”
Review of Shokolad

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: West Town
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
“Highly recommend a stop at Shokolade!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Lovey cafe in Ukrainian Village in Chicago. Knowledge and very helpful, sweet waitress, Food was fresh and delicious. Servings were huge! So glad we found this cafe!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank SteveandD0nna

Chicago, Illinois
“Fabulous food is worth the wait”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I love borscht and their Ukranian-style beet borscht is light and delicious. The ricotta rolls and garlic dipping sauce are scrumptious! My toddler had the sweet cheese crepes with strawberry compote and whipped cream, but i think he liked those rolls even more. The coffee is excellent and the desserts are amazing. I've had their roast beef panini with carmelized onions, horseradish cream and gruyere and it is awesome.

That said, I would not recommend this as a stop for families in the future. There were other toddlers present on this busy Sunday afternoon, but no booster seats and no changing able in the restroom. We also waited almost 25 minutes for the check, and as a mom of a restless kid eager to get to the park, I was annoyed. Still, the food, coffee, and dessert are so good I know I will be back with my friends - just not with my son, and maybe not in the prime Sunday brunch period.

• Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Comfort food for the Slavic soul”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

It’s not really fair to rate a restaurant on just one visit, but as someone familiar with this particular type of ethnic food, my one visit was really good and really interesting and worth repeating. The soups (beet soup, sorrel soup) were absolutely authentic, made from scratch. It seems that the chef used sorrel from his/her own garden. We also ordered potato/mushroom varenyky (pierogi is the Polish translation), which was bathed in a creamy buttery broth infused with tarragon . This was an elevated, gourmet version of a Ukrainian classic, delicious, unique and fattening. I’m eager to go back and see whether all their preparations are this creative. Desserts looked fantastic but I was too full to indulge. The atmosphere, by the way, is modern, attractive and relaxed.

• Visited September 2012
Oakland, California
“Great place for ukranian food!”
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I've been to this place at least 4 times in the year and a half I've lived in Chicago (I tend to frequent it when I need some comfort homemade food that tastes like what I grew up eating!) It's such good food! I love going on the weekend when I can get their homemade chicken noodle soup! They also bring out delicious challah toast with garlicky dipping sauce which is to die for!
I've tried their meat pelmeni and vareniky (I think the pelmeni is better) and also love their sour cherry vareniky (blueberry is also good)! Their crepes with cheese are also quite good and according to my friends, the mushroom soup is good as well.

1 Thank mashag82
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My favorite hot spot for...”
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My favorite hot spot for breakfast and working. Can bring laptop there and stay all day.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook