“close enough to downtown, decent price”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #102 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
“close enough to downtown, decent price”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for a quick weekend to Chicago. Was a little worried about the neighborhood when we were pulling up, but the hotel was great. They had secure free parking behind the hotel, and there was a bus stop right across the street for easy, cheap access to downtown. Also took a cab downtown for pretty cheap, and quick ride. Got a corner room (didn't request it) which was fairly large, a nice surprise. Didn't do much but sleep at the hotel. We were on the East side of the hotel, and could hear the "L" train, but it was not so loud to be disrupting.

Room Tip: Northeast corner you can hear the train.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cpollock27
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We appreciate your taking the time to review our property. I am happy that you enjoyed our accommodations and had a pleasant experience with us. We would love to have you as a guest again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I travel often and rarely experience the type of excellent service in the U.S. that I do overseas - until this hotel. All of my questions were answered by the general manager TK and I felt like I knew her when I arrived. I was greeted, treated well and impressed when my travels took me to Chicago in May, that when I had to return to the city 3 weeks later, I booked here again. I experienced difficulty trying to book online so I called, and sure enough things were handled efficiently. Free parking, great location, great value, free wifi, mini-fridge and superb service is why this hotel is my hotel of choice when visiting Chicago! When people care about what they do, it shows. Thank you and keep up the great work!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rashida R
Thank you for the perfect score! We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience at our property with everyone. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and hope you visit us soon!
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Ill keep this short... I'm sure it's a decent option to stay for conferences in the area. Service is absolutely horrible, and currently the wifi is down. Never been to a hotel where there are these issues. If you're traveling an just need a place to stay, this is fine. If you're corporate, this place blows... Be warned...

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank tRaCeBuStAyO
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the problems you had with our wifi. We did not have any other complaints during the time of your visit. We do have a complimentary business center to serve our guest's needs. I am sorry you had issues with our service, as most of our guests praise us on it. We hope you will give us another chance!
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I wanted leave an average rating but two things keep me from doing so. Linens had been washed but were stained: wash cloths and sheets. A request for more wash cloths went unanswered. It is clear management is trying to save money by not replacing linens as needed which is unfortunate. Hallway not vacuumed. Folks at the front desk were pleasant. Fitness center had new equipment. Happy Hour drew a crowd filling up the overflow parking lot, but the gated lot attached to the hotel had plenty of spaces. I would stay here again if I found out they cared enough to purchase new linens.

Room Tip: Corner suite was perfect and avoided elevator noise. Bathroom was large and had been renovated. It a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ange Y
Thank you so much for offering your feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience you had with our linens and want to assure you this will be addressed. I am pleased you found our front desk staff cordial.
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Whatever you do, do NOT stay here. I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and on both nights could not fall asleep until 2am! The rooms are not properly insulated, so you can hear ALL the noise from traffic outside as well as everyone coming and going from the elevator. I was on the second floor right in front of the main entrance and by the elevator and sucked it up the first night but it got worse the second night. Apparently there was some sort of event going on in the hotel and for HOURS there was thumping music throughout the ENTIRE BUILDING and it seemed like everyone in the building was complaining because after calling down two times (the concierge would not pick up my calls) I went downstairs and there was a lady standing there on the phone saying THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL, and everyone's complaining but they're doing nothing about it! In addition there was no staff in sight to help me out for a solid 10 minutes. I changed my room to the 4th floor at the back of the building but it was no better.

I also just wanted to point out that for being a young white woman alone in Chicago this hotel was for the most part pretty safe (although isolated) but I can't help but notice I was definitely a minority among staff and patrons and everyone at the hotel was giving me strange looks. It didn't make me feel comfortable at all.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize profusely for the experience you encountered with our noise pollution dueint your visit. This is definitely not our norm and has been addressed. I hope you will give the Chicago South Loop hotel another chance, so we can show you how we really shine.
Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Great room at a great price! Excellent choice particularly if you have a car. Free parking and easy freeway access made this place an ideal spot from which to adventure. Good fitness center and superb staff!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for the perfect stars! I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Loves Park, Illinois
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Rented a room with my fiancé for a football game we were to attend the next day. The front desk person was great and very welcoming. Sadly that's the only good thing about this hotel. The elevator smelled of beer and pee. Gross! Once in the room I wanted to leave right away. Carpet was dirty (never took my shoes off the entire stay), the walls were dirty and the curtains were so dusty. The bathroom was decent, seemed to be recently updated. I was afraid to even lay down in the bed. I literally slept sitting up! There were no bed skirts so you had the pleasure of seeing how dirty the box spring was. There were no nearby places to eat so decided to go downstairs to the sports bar. Ordered nachos that were so gross I almost got sick. The bartenders were not attentive and when we ordered anything would act as if we were bothering them. I will never set foot back at this place again. Trust me, not worth your money.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your experience with us. Your description of your stay is definitely not a norm. We appreciate your feedback and will address your comments.