“Value price means don't expect great thing”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #99 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dayton, Ohio
“Value price means don't expect great thing”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

For a quick stay in the city when you don't mind not being too close to things it's a good value. It's on a bus line but not close to the train stop so you'll have to drive or take a cab to downtown. The free parking is an added bonus but its first come first serve so you may end up parking down the street in not the best area after dark. Our hotel room was spacious and clean but the bathroom door wouldn't close which is inconvenient. Hotel staff also are not the friendliest. Overall you get what you pay for.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ewiggi
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Greetings Ewiggi,
Thank you for offering feedback regarding your experience with us. I am sorry to hear you found our staff unfriendly. I apologize for that and the problem you had with your bathroom door. These issues will be addressed and I thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I do not care much about the looks of a hotel. I just ask for a clean bed and bathroom and I am happy. This hotel did not even deliver that. The front desk personnel was unfriendly, pillows and sheets were dirty and smelly, the sofa had several stains, the little table had something yellow and sticky that I don't want to know what it was. It is just a bad hotel. It reminds me about a $20 room I got in Mexico. Of course this costs $150. Lesson learned.

2 Thank Manuel_gg2000
Tk K, Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Manuel_gg2000,
Thank you so much for offering feedback regarding your experience. I apologize for the inconvenience you had with our housekeeping. This is definitely not our norm. Your comments were not unnoticed and will be addressed.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I visited a few friends in Chicago and found this hotel on Hotwire. It is not the most luxurious hotel but more than met my needs of a good place to sleep and shower. The front desk and staff were excellent and pleasant. Location were very good especially if you are seeing soldier field, etc.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Greetings Tom P,
We appreciate your patronage and providing feedback regarding your experience with us. I am delighted you found our staff exemplary and our location desirable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 16 August 2014

If you have are seeking good value and have a car and expect to use it, while visiting Chicago, this hotel is a very good choice. Keeping in mind that this is not a hotel aimed at the high-end consumers, the property hits the right marks for a value-oriented traveler: free parking, comfortable accommodations, cleanliness, and safety. Some spots on the carpet and a general appearance that shows the property's age keep me from giving this a five-star rating, but overall, the place delivered well on the factors that were important to me.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor. Though I did not hear anything, the noise level seems to be a comm...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan W
Greetings Dan W,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you found value in our location, complimentary parking, safety and clean accommodations. Hopefully, you will return soon! Thank you for your business.
Cortland, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Booked through hot wire and got a good price. Front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. Room was spacious but in need of a better cleaning of the bathroom and some new paint. We felt comfortable walking around the neighborhood during the day. It is a haul from downtown, Northerly Island, etc .... Free parking made it worth it.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Greetings Bill B,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary parking, spacious rooms and friendly staff. I apologize for the issues you had with the cleanliness of your bathroom. I assure you your comments will be addressed.
Aptos, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked on Hotwire, but was priced well on kayak. Was looking for low cost, including parking.
This hotel is literally on State street, which makes bus at front door. Less than 25 minutes to get to your day trip for family... Millennium park, short walk from state to Shedd Aquarium, 35 minutes directly to Navy Pier!

We drove, but could have walked a few blocks to Reggie's Music Joint, what a great place. Out door dining on street, but don't miss the roof top deck. Good mix of bar foods, fun, and ambiance.

Room was spacious, bathroom clean. Fridge in room. We came here after a night at a 4 star hotel to the north, and my children were much more comfortable at this place because it was relaxed. Parking in town can cost you 40 plus (closer to 60 at the other hotel). So this was a great value.

Pizza can be ordered to room, and actually, several nearby State street restaurants will deliver
Chicago's Chinatown is a few blocks away, not as charming as DC, SF, NYC. Lots of dim sum places that are on recommended restaurant list.

Room Tip: Parking, wifi, price, and public transportation
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Coast2coastMD
Dear Coast2coastMD,
I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your experience at our hotel. From our complimentary parking to our spacious rooms, it sounds like we covered your needs. We look forward to having you visit again soon. Thank you for your patronage.
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Came into town July 25-27. Convenient to stay to be near the McCormick Center, not convenient if you plan on the Miracle Mile or Navy Pier if you don't plan on driving yourself or taking public transportation. Hotel lobby was nice, rooms were decent. The only complaints I have is the coffee is horrible in the hotel restaurant & little coffee shop within the hotel. Ended up finding a Starbucks on the last day down by the Illinois State Tech Univ. The elevator was out of service for a bit on Saturday, they didn't have signs posted on each floor. The bar was ok. One bartender was a bit rude. The L26 Restaurant for dinner was good, breakfast buffet was "eh". nothing special. Bacon a bit hard, and powdered eggs. Liked the free parking. I think this hotel could be a hit or miss. We happened to hit it on a good weekend. I think we lucked out that we didn't have people on either side of us, so it was quiet. Bottom line: Decent and reasonable priced if you don't want to spend all your money in town on a hotel. Stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawni50
Dear Dawni50,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Though I am glad you enjoyed our value we offer guests, I am disappointed to learn of your unpleasant experience with our coffee. Our food outlets are independently operated. However, we will let the proprietors know about your comments.