“Hotel is okay, clean. Free parking a plus.”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #99 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Cortland, Ohio
“Hotel is okay, clean. Free parking a plus.”
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Romms should have coffee makers...even the cheapest hotels (this one was not cheap) have coffee makers and complimentary coffe in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Minnesota
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel on business. I'm not sure who they're clientèle is supposed to be. They claim they're close to McCormick Place, so you would think it's geared towards the business traveler. However, they fail to tell you that no shuttle will take you to McCormick Place because this hotel is located in a very unsafe neighborhood on the south side of Chicago.

The people who worked at the hotel were all very nice. And my hotel room was very clean. However, the first morning I woke up before having to work a tradeshow all day and I had to (a) iron my shirt on a towel on the floor -- no ironing board and (b) ended up buying instant coffee and using warm water out of the bathroom sink for my morning coffee ... and (c) no hairdryer in my room. So, I called the front desk to ask if they have ironing boards and hairdryers in this hotel. They replied, "Yes we do. They must have taken everything from your room." (Meaning, someone stole the hairdryer and ironing board). Needless to say, both items didn't make it to my room in time for the show.

On 2 different occasions, both cab drivers asked me how I found this hotel and told me to stay inside and don't walk out on the streets because it wasn't safe.

So, no coffeemaker in room, no ironing board, no hairdryer, can't take a shuttle to McCormick Place -- oh yeah, no restaurant associated with hotel - so no room service, and I can't walk around outside of the hotel for fear I might get taken out.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
QC
Reviewed 10 October 2010

This is a great little secret of the South Loop in Chicago. My husband and I have stayed there now a few times and have been very happy w/ each stay. It is close enough to downtown that it's a cheap cap fare. Also very close to museaums You DON'T have to vallet your car! Hotel decor very modern/classic w/ beautiful art that has a Chicago feel. Very clean. Only issue I have noticed on last 2 stays- the elevators occasionally have problems and are very slow. Other than that, really no complaints. Staff very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I was amazed. When I travel to inner city Chicago, I am used to paying high prices, getting questionable service, and getting nailed for parking. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled onto this great hotel. First, it's in an area of town that just 5 years ago would be dangerous - but Chicago is changing - I felt 100% safe the whole time.

This is a brand new building, a brand new hotel - great rooms, some of the friendliest service I have ever enjoyed. From Todd the manager on down, everone seemed to care about whether I was comfortable. Parking is free - and its right outside the door of the hotel not down the corner and around the block.

The place is 6 blocks from McCormick West - I walked it a couple of time. Or a $4.00 cab ride - I got lazy one afternoon. It's walking distance to Chinatown (3 blocks).

If there is a bad part its this - this is not a loop hotel. If you want to see the loop, do restaurants etc, you will probably need a cab or drive. However, with parking hovering at 30-40 dollars a night, the free parking will cover you cab ride.

All in all, I am recommending this place to all my friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Edina
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Very close to McCormick Center in Chicago - price much more reasonable than chain hotels of similar quality (Hilton Garden Inn, etc). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and generous in size. The hallways are quiet even with people in them - good walls. The EL runs outside, so you could ask for a room on the other side of the hotel but I didn't hear them once I was asleep. All in all, a very good valule!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I brought a group for IMTS 2010 and we were very happy. The rooms were large and clean. Simple decor, nothing fancy but reasonably priced, especially before and after the show. For guests that like to eat Chinese food, this place is perfect because we could walk to Chinatown every night. We did not need a car during my engineers 16 day stay and our 8 day stay. Not great for anyone that wants to be close to the sites and Chicago downtown night life, but we avoided crowds and traffic each day. Parking is free as well if you have a car which is a big plus. As well as free wi fi which usually costs an arm and a leg at any other hotel. Great staff, including Tommy who was extremely helpful to our group. And the manager was helpful and made adjustments when there was a lot of loud disturbances one night. We will definitely go back again, and good to know is there is a cab company and Enterprise rent a car right around the corner so that we can just rent near the hotel next time rather than from the airport if we need a car.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed at the South Loop Hotel for 4 nights (09/23-09/27) for a wedding weekend. At first I was a bit concerned that the hotel was not in the heart of downtown, but all of my concerns faded away as soon as I checked in!

This is a hotel with such warmth and charm that starts from the minute you speak with the front desk (Diane at the front desk is phenomenal), and all the staff (I was on the elevator with the engineer who services and expects the elevators and we carried such wonderful and warm conversation!)

One morning I came out of the room and was greeted by the housekeeping staff who were working on the other side of my floor. I spent almost 10 minutes laughing and appreciating their caring demeanor, concern if all was clean and satisfactory in my room, and answering my questions about going out and finding sites to see. Their information and concern was invaluable! :-)

Since I had a car rental (there is free parking here) I had no problem getting around, but my cousin wanted to venture and travel on public transportation.Once again Diane at the front desk took the time to show all options and helpful tidbits that helped my cousin's adventure a joy! Diane is a real gem and is one of the reasons why I would come back!

Lecreole@aol.com