“Wonderful taste, but tasting menu is a huge amount of food”
Review of Mexique

Mexique
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 9,675 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West Town
Cross street: Chicago and Ashland
baltimore
“Wonderful taste, but tasting menu is a huge amount of food”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The food at this restaurant is fantastic. I loved the flavors. We both ordered the tasting menu, and the wine pairing. While every dish was perfectly presented and tasty, after the third dish, I could barely have a bite of the subsequent dishes. It was simply too much food. Nonetheless, I highly recommend this place.

• Visited July 2014

New York City, New York
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We hadn't heard of this place before our visit but a local recommended it to us and since we love Mexican food it was an easy sell for us. Frankly we were astounded by how good the food was, it's an unassuming little place, out of the way, not on the main drag with all the big name restaurants but what a gem.

We tried a 4 or 5 options off the menu, the braised pork belly, the butternut squash waffles topped with tender delicious duck carnitas, the crab cakes with corn and red peppers really stood out for me. We ate until we were full and then ate a little more, it was that good. There's a lot of interesting fusion going on with this menu, the flavors are definitely Mexican but there's a lot of French cuisine and technique paired together in ways you would not expect.

Part of what I enjoy most about a good meal is when you find yourself pleasantly surprised by a dish. You read the description first and you're intrigued but still trying to put together all those flavors in your head and imagine what it will be like. So when you get a dish that is beautifully composed and conceived it really is a treat. We felt like a lot of love went into everything that we tried, it was plain and simple, delicious.

If you're visiting Chicago, I highly recommend this spot. Fantastic food, friendly staff, great feel to the place.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank snoogle
White Plains, New York
“They stand behind their brand”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I must admit that my family's visit was not what we had hoped, but what happened in the aftermath was both unusual and worthy of sharing. After going to Mexique I wrote an email to the owner expressing my impressions. Within 24 hours I heard from him in person both by email and a phone call. He was very interested in what happened and asked pertinent and valuable questions.

I was thoroughly convinced of his sincerity and desire to fit whatever were my issues. He did the right thing. I don't know if I will be going back to Chicago anytime soon but if I do I will go back to Mexique. Restaurants, like people, deserve second chances.

Visited June 2014
Alberta
“Wonderful Night!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Here for my daughter's soccer tournament. Came on the recommendation of a friend from Chicago. Loved it! We all had the tasting menu.

The watermelon gazpacho soup was fantastic and spicy and the grilled pistachios were perfect.

The ceviche (with a tougher, hamachi-like fish) was out of this world!

Next came the halibut which was also very good, but of the six courses, the least memorable. Still very well plated and cooked.

The veal short ribs were exquisite. The peanut sauce was to die for and we all wanted more.

Lastly, and certainly not leastly, came the lambchop in a perfect mole sauce that was universally our favorite of the plates.

The dessert was also very good to end a perfect meal.

At $75 for the tasting menu, it was also a great value!

Would highly recommend!!

1 Thank Mahulu
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
“An excellent fusion”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Mexique is definitely worth a visit for anyone in Chicago. A bit out of the way (but easy enough via El and bus) and in a slightly nondescript location - but the interior decor is very tasteful, and the food is superb. It was amazing how each mouthful was spicy but well balanced, and at the end of the dish there was a definite feeling of heat remaining in the mouth without ever having the spice over power the excellent flavours of the individual ingredients. Serving sizes are ample but not ridiculous - three courses left me feeling definitely full, but not stuffed - just right. And having room for the dessert of chocolate enchiladas -- priceless!

• Visited July 2014