“Great hotel very nice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Elmendorf, Texas
“Great hotel very nice”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

this very good hotel very nice rooms it very nice place has nice indoor pool the fridge and micowave was very good added fetrure in the room. the only advice i would say is hope you can sleep hard or bring some ear plugs this hotel is right by a very busy fire station. the hotel does give you ear plugs if you need them.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 2 April 2011
Freedumusa

Thank you so much for your photos from your stay with us. We hope you come see us again the future when you visit from Texas!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Went for a bachelorette party with a few girlfriends. The staff was very friendly and funny. They made us feel very comfortable. After arriving back at the hotel the concierge Mohamed was so accommodating. He new we had probably drank too much and gave the few of us that stayed up a free pizza and bottled water. After making us feel so welcome and at home, he moved our check out time to 2p.m. instead of 11 so the bride-to-be didn't have to wake so early. Great staff, very comfortable beds, clean and the BEST continental breakfast I've ever had.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your comments on your stay with us. I am so glad that Mohamed was able to provide you with such great service after your fun night in Chicago. We hope you & the new bride have an opportunity to come see us again the future!

Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Wife and I booked this hotel in connection with the "American Beauty Show" being held at McCormick Place. We received a good rate at $99 and it appeared to be located in a very convenient location to other activities in the city. My wife has a very serious food allergy and requires an in-room micro and fridge to prepare all meals. When I called to book this room I was connected to reservations and was told this room would have these amenities (leading me to believe that all rooms there had the same as a standard item). Since this was such a necessary item for our stay I called a second time, a day before the reservation, to confirm and once again was told there would definitely be a micro/fridge located in our room. (No need for a specialrequest) After driving four hours to arrive, we checked in and discovered no micro / no fridge. We called the desk and was told there were none available (even at a charge). We were offered an option to possibly work out a solution the following day ...but this was no help as we had to prepare and store meals beginning that evening. In their defense the offered to store her food in a fridge at the desk but her allergy is so severe that it is risky not to isolate her items. Initially they had mentioned a suite option (which had micro/fridge) but was told this would come at the increased price. I told them I would accept this solution but after checking was told it would not be available for my length of stay.
After an hour conversation with someone from Hampton Inn guest services (1-800) we were left with no alternative but to check out and return home. There were no other alternatives offered by the Hampton Inn personnel. We had to make the four hour return home that night, missing the 3 day conference (pre-paid). My wife also lost pay for the 3 day conference which she was to receive. Guess that $99 special rate at Hampton Inn was not so good afer all. My main complaint here is that first of all ..when booking or checking a reservation at this location you are transferred to a general reservations person that apparently has erroneous information about this property since I spoke to different personnel each time I called and was given the same information. Also, I was never offered an alternative hotel, something I later thought about and wondered why this was never offered. Although not familiar with downtown Chicago they could have offered to help relocate us ..I would have thought anyway.
A complaint has been filed in my behalf with Hampton/Hilton but as of yet no comment from their manangement staff. If this is an example of Hampton/Hilton customer service, I will most definitely look elsewhere in the future.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Mao007
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 17 April 2011
Mao007,

I am so sorry to hear that you weren’t able to enjoy your stay at our hotel. I apologize about the miscommunication regarding fridges & microwaves in our rooms. We will make sure to that you receive a fridge & microwave for your next stay with us. Once you make your reservation, please call the hotel & as for the front desk: the front desk will make sure to notate on your reservation that you require a fridge & microwave. The front desk will then ensure that the room your reserved have these amenities.

We look forward to making this right on your next stay with us.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We traveled with two young children and were anxious to find a family-friendly city hotel. We were not disappointed-spacious two room suite, a clean indoor pool with huge skylight overhead allowing a view of the nearby skyscrapers, great complimentary breakfast in an ample-sized dining room with wrap-around windows overlooking city streets. Free popcorn as you check in-a nice little treat for car weary kids. The decor is modern and updated, with a spa-like feel. The staff was superb, especially Mustaque. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted. Drawbacks? The fire station across the street. The bad news is, we were up all night Friday. The good news is, we were so

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Dear Natky,

Thank you for recent review of the hotel. I am glad that you & they car weary kids liked the popcorn. Thank you for those kind reviews about Mustaque… I will make sure to personally mention the praise you had for him. We are always proud to give praise to our associates for giving great service.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Chicago from Kentucky!

Spooner, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I was planning a trip to Chicago for a couple months now. After researching every hotel I could afford, I decided to book the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Chicago, and I sure don't regret that.

Once I finally got through the crazy amounts of traffic, I arrived at the hotel. I was worried about where I would park (it's downtown Chicago, barely any parking), but they had a swerve in where we could park our car until the valet got it. We went into the lobby and checked in. The lobby is very nice and comforting, and you could tell just by the looks of it that the hotel was either recently built or recently renovated; it had a modern feel to it. The lady that checked us in was very friendly and even made some small talk with us. It was nice that the customer service there didn't act like robots, they made you feel welcome.

After we got checked in, we were given a card with the access codes for the complimentary Wifi, and we were given a card for the valet service which we would need with us when we wanted to get our car obviously. The valet took our car and brought it to wherever the dedicated parking was, and we went up to our room.

The room was very nice. It was $89 a night; the standard room with double queen beds. Very modern and cozy. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a mini-fridge or a microwave, but they had complimentary breakfast so I guess we wouldn't have had much of a need for that. I guess I would've liked to see a bit more in it, but I guess that's what I get for picking a standard room, eh? Anyway, the beds were very comfortable, and the room was very clean. It had a nice flatscreen TV and a desk, chair, etc. The bathroom was clean and had a nice big shower.

Getting to sleep wasn't difficult at all. Others have complained about the fire station nearby, but the sirens didn't go off during the night (if they did, then I slept right through them). The bedding was clean, but I slept on my own blanket and pillows anyway.

Leaving the hotel and getting my car from the valet was painless. All you do is call down to the front desk about 15 minutes in advance of your departure of the hotel, then the valet will go and get your car and have it ready in the swerve in. The valet people were very careful and we didn't see a scratch on our car (yes, we carefully examined it after every time we got the car like the sign outside says). At first I was skeptical about the valet service. $42 a night? Seems like a lot, but it was well worth it. Not having to worry about finding a parking space and the risk of your car getting stolen was great. Because the hotel is right in downtown Chicago, you can basically go anywhere in just walking distance, and it was quite entertaining to walk around for a couple hours and just look at all of the buildings, skyscrapers, etc. There were plenty restaurants near the hotel, and a large variety too. There's an excellent restaurant that you can access from inside the Hampton Inn called the Rosebud Trattoria. It's an Italian restaurant, and the food was great. A little pricey, but I got Cheese Ravioli for $14 (I believe), and that was great. More than enough to fill me up. There were also several bars, BBQ places, even a McDonalds, all in walking distance.

The hotel had many great features. They had a nice pool and hot tub which was nice to wind down in in the evening. The complimentary Wifi was great I was expecting to have to pay for it, so I was more than happy with it. The complimentary breakfast was also great too. Not your typical cold cereal breakfast. They had fresh omelets, hot meat, make-your-own-waffles, muffins, bagels, toast, various fresh pastries, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, and many other things which was delicious.

I think I've covered about everything. If you're looking for an affordable yet modern hotel in Downtown Chicago, this is DEFINITELY for you. If I go back to Chicago (which I plan on) I will definitely be staying here again.

1 Thank TravelingProdigy
Dear TravelingProdigy,

Thank you for your insightful review of the hotel. As you mentioned, it is nice to have a restaurant you can access through the hotel. Since you experienced Rosebud Trattoria this time, perhaps next time try Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, which you can access from the 2nd floor of the hotel through the skyway.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Chicagoland.

Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This was my second stay at this property. The property is well kept, the room large and clean, and the location is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate a second to stay there again.

Hastings Michigan
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I stayed there with my daughter and two young grandchildren. The staff couldn't of been any nicer and helpful. They also had a breakfast buffet that was great. They had biscuits and gravy one morning which made my grandchildren VERY happy!

The staff was helpful with any questions I had from hotel services to getting around Chicago.

Dear Swede52,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent review. Glad to hear that the grandkids loved the biscuits & gravy… growing up in Alabama, that is what I was raised on so I can understand their excitement!

We look forward to seeing you & the grandchildren the next time you are in from Michigan!