“Fabulous location, amenities and price”

Ranked #46 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
“Fabulous location, amenities and price”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We (five girlfriends) wanted a hotel that was close to art, food and shopping. We chose Hampton Suites downtown Chicago because of the features showcased on their website, the ratings on tripadvisor, and price.
We reserved a two-bed room plus a three person suite with a pullout sofa for three nights. We got a spacious corner suite with an adjoining room - perfect. Everyone was very comfortable, even with the pullout sofa. The complementary breakfast was especially nice with real eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, oatmeal, muffins, fresh fruit, coffee and tea.
The entire hotel was extremely well kept, including the front entrance; the swimming pool and sauna were clean and inviting.
The staff was particularly friendly and helpful, especially Yaneli at the front desk.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I traveled with my cousin and our two 11 year old granddaughters to the Windy City. We stayed in a corner suite which was fabulous! The room was quite large with a full kitchen! There was a grocery store within walking distance which worked out great. The hotel is totally non-smoking and had an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. The bedroom had to queen size rooms and the living room had a sleeper sofa. Each room had their own TV and there was a dining room table as well. The draw back to the corner room was that we were across the street from the rescue/fire department so there were lots of sirens at night. We wondered why there was a jar of ear plugs available upon check in. The hotel is within walking distance of the theater district, many great restaurants as well as the trolley line. The free breakfast at the hotel was delicious and varied each day. Free wifi and other amenities made this a great place to stay. Even with the noise, we would stay here again. The staff was exceptional and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mimi1228
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 25 December 2011
Dear mimi1228,

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests.

As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something to be expected: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it. For those light sleepers or to those not accustomed to city noise we do offer earplugs at the front desk.

Katsdorf, Austria
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I had 2 good nights of my business trip there. The hotel is in the very center of the city, going in any direction is always easy - business or sightseeing, it doesn't matter.
The hotel-staff, the service, the rooms and the breakfast as well, have made a little better impression to me than other Hampton Inns I stayed before.
My room was towards the fire-department, which made me wakeing-up quite often ... if you stay there, try to get an room with "inside view".

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear kranewitter,

We look forward to having you with us in the future!

phoenix
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at the Hampton downtown Chicago for a mini family reuinion in November 2011. I had origionally booked a suite and then upgraded to a corner suite with my Hilton points. We have stayed at a lot of high end properties, and I wasn't expecting luxury, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The check-in was quick (less than 2 minutes). The front desk person was exceptionally friendly and informative and gave me a map of the city and all of the nearby restaurants. The room was on the 8th floor and was sparkling clean, and surprisingly hip. It had a full kitchen with a full size refrigerator and granite tops. The suite had panoramic windows with privacy shades and then full black out shades. The suite had 2 plasma tv's and free wi-fi. The morning breakfast was delicious right down to the coffee, of which I imbibed 2 cups every morning!! The indoor pool was nice. The hot tub was warm. The work out room was adequate and clean. The business center computers worked and I even printed my boarding pass.

The only negative, which has been stated by other reviewers, was the noise. Chicago is a bustling city 24 hours a day, but being right next to the Chicago fire station does not help. We weren't in town to sleep anyway, so who cares?

I have to say the the Hampton ticks all the boxes that a business traveler or casual traveler would want for a stay in downtown Chicago. What I hate most about hotels is when they nickel and dime you to death for wifi, breakfast, or use of the amenities. At this Hampton, all of this is included, which makes this hotel a great value in the heart of the city. I would stay here again without hesitation. Thank you Hampton!!

Room Tip: away from the fire station!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bmford
Dear bmford,

I am glad that you got to experience my favorite suites at the hotel: the corner suite with a full kitchen! We look forward to having you the next time you are in Chicago from Phoenix.

indiana
Reviewed 4 November 2011

.... as I entered the hotel, Tracee greeted me with respect and professionalism. After driving 5 hours in stop and go traffic, it was just what I needed. She was courtious and professional. The hotel is all non-smoking and we love it! The room was clean. A little dated, but keeping in the Downtown theme, was exceptional. They have valet parking on site, and the porter was very helpful. The wifi worked as expected. We would recommend it to anyone traveling, or stuck, in Chicago.

Room Tip: arrive late in the evening ask for a deal... ;-)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear spidrman,

The hotel was completely renovated in Fall 2010 with all guestrooms receiving new furniture, wall vinyl, carpet, & tile & granite in the bathrooms.

We look forward to having you the next time you a fortunate enough to be “stuck” in Chicago.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2011

From the moment we arrived, we felt at home here.The reception staff were so helpfull especially tracie, but really all were great. Room was clean, had a fridge,sink and coffee maker. Yes the Chicago Fire Dept is right be side hotel, our room was at front but we had no issue with noise. We love food and trying new things so the location is brillant for resturants within walking distance or a few stops on the red line which is right around the corner, it was also great for connection to the train to and from airport. Our trip was for the Chicago marathon, best day every......
Great to have a breakfast room(very clean, excellent staff here too) with hot food, breads and cakes, fruit and even hot waffles that you make your self yummie, all hot drinks are availible till 10pm free. Used the gym small but was great for us, pool small too but we had it to ourselves. Lovely Italian resturant with enterance from hotel. Been to Chicago many times but now we will onlly book here. thanks to every one for making it a trip to remember.......

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2011Niamh
Oakley, IL
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My sister & I chose this hotel because of the location, it had 2 beds, and was a suite with a kitchen. The staff was absolutely wonderful. We were on the 8th floor in a corner suite. The room needed to be updated in my opinion, but it was clean. The nice thing was the separate bathroom, in addition to the 2nd sink which was in the bedroom area. There were 2 TVs, plenty of dresser drawer storage, climate control, granite countertops, a magnified mirror in the bathroom, full kitchen with dishes (we didn't use anything other than refrig & coffeepot). Other than the occasional siren (fire station across the street), the room was quiet. We brought earplugs, and only heard the sirens once each night right after going to bed. The breakfast was very good - quiet a nice variety. The staff was the best part. Everyone was so helpful & friendly. It was in a great location for us - within walking distance to Navy Pier & restaurants & shops. We enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Go for the corner suites - the higher up you are, the quieter it will be. Just remember to use earp...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear barbi62,

Thanks for the great tip on the corner suite – every guest that books it is so surprised of how spacious it is… a full 680 square feet (bigger than my first apartment!).