Date of stay: 8/29/13 to 9/2/13
Hampton Inn & Suites has become our preferred hotel when traveling. We believe the combination of typical staff and amenities at a good price point is challenging to beat.
The downtown Chicago location is like more than a few of the area properties a bit dates. That said, overall the property is wearing well and isn’t really showing signs of frayed edges. The hotel is pretty, clean and staffed by a very friendly crew. We were “welcomed home” and had nothing but positive experiences in our interactions.
Our room was pleasant, if a bit noisy, overlooking the fire station 11 stories below. Hampton Inn is not known for their noise-cancelling windows; high end would insulate against the noise but will also drive up the nightly cost. Fortunately, the hotel offers excellent ear plugs! With ear plugs and on a comfortable mattress, we slept rather nicely and had no complaints.
Hampton Inn & Suites offers an excellent breakfast. It’s a deal and easily accounts for the cost of a night’s stay. There is hardly a reason to eat out. If we had any complain it is that during our Labor Day weekend stay the breakfast area was decidedly filled to capacity with only one of the available connected meeting rooms open to guests. Given the available space, it should have been opened to mitigate crowding.
We used the pool and spa, which was surprisingly crowd-free, given the vast number of families with children. The gym is well equipped. The adjoining patio presents a great place to relax in the sun or under an umbrella. There is also a well-equipped business center with four computers and a small store off the lobby.
The hotel no longer has an attached restaurant, which is under major renovation. That said, there are more than ample choices of local and chain restaurants within easy walking distance.
Public transportation is everywhere. The “L” is only one block north. There is a free shuttle to Navy Pier, which circulates the blocks near the hotel. Unless you must drive into and around the city, do not! We flew into Midway and handily used the L to get everywhere we wanted. Plan on perhaps 45 minutes at most to get to the airport.
Our experience with Hampton Inn & Suites suggests the smaller properties have more of a “boutique” feel than the large locations such as this. That said, this is a nice place we’d come back to again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience downtown Chicago from our Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown hotel. Located in the heart of trendy River North neighborhood, you're in the ideal location to Chicago's entertainment, shopping and dining venues, with easy access to Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue shops. Explore the Loop's business and theater districts, or discover Field Museum, Adler Planetarium or Shedd Aquarium with your kids during your stay. Start your day with the convenience of Hampton's free hot breakfast. Enjoy free WiFi throughout the hotel. We offer a fitness center, indoor swimming pool, whirlpool and dry sauna. End the day with a reservation at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse connected to our hotel by sky bridge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites Chicago - Downtown
- Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown
- Chicago Hampton Inn