“Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago- Downtown. A very nice place”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #49 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
sterling, United States
“Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago- Downtown. A very nice place”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was probably the nicest Hampton Inn & Suite's that I have stayed .The service was excellent , the rooms were very quiet , and extremely clean . The beds were wonderful I would definitely stay here again. My only disappointment was that the hotel parking was Valet only for $55.The hotel should also provide an option of self parking either for no charge or for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Hello Cheryl,

Im flattered by all your nice comments about our hotel! I'm happy to know you enjoyed your experience with us and plan on coming back. Sorry about the delay with valet and getting your car. That was a rough few days when you were with us and unfortunately the time for retrieval was increased. You guys should come back in the spring/summer, the weather is muuuch better and it makes getting around town easier. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

f:312-830-0333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Had a great stay. From the Valet to the check -in, to check-out not one complaint. Room was great. Loved the fact we had the King Suite. I will definitely look into staying here again. Overall, Myself and my friends had a great stay. Don't forget to call down for your car from Valet. If you don't you might have to wait a bit.

Room Tip: Don't forget to call down to get your car. If it snowing , it might take a little longer. Be pa...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Hi Mark!

Thank you so much for the great comments about our hotel. With the weather the way its been the past few weeks the timing for valet has fluctuated slightly. I appreciate your patience. The King Suites are great rooms, very spacious and the mini kitchenette is nice as well. Next time you come to town you should check out the King Corner Suite if its available. The room is massive and only a little bit more per night. Im glad to hear you didn't let the snow get the best of you, and happy that you look forward to coming back to stay with us again. We look forward to having you as our guest!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We came jetlagged to Chicago and desperately needed sleep. I had requested a room away from the elevator on a high floor with a view several months in advance. We were offered a room on the fifth floor, out of twelve, with no particular view. I didn't mind enough to make a fuss about that.
There was quite a lot of rumbling noise the first night so I complained about this to the staff. I requested a change of rooms and the lady at the check-in counter said this would be arranged the next day. She offered some earplugs which the hotel offered free of charge. This helped the situation immensely. Noone in the staff came back to us about the room change or check with us how we were doing. I never went back to them since I didn’t have any problems sleeping but would have appreciated someone to check up on the situation.
The room was fairly small but adequate. The beds and sheets were nice, perhaps a bit on the soft side for those who are sensitive to that. There was no minibar but some rooms had this so you would have to request such room. There was a safe, coffeemaker and a good size TV.
The coffemaker is unnecessary since this hotel offers freshly brewed coffee around the clock in the dining area. This includes tea and chocolate.
The bathroom had a tub with a handheld shower and Neutrogena soap for different needs (face, body and bath). No luxury but quite sufficient.
The pool is small so I didn’t feel like swimming but it was nice to take a dip in the middle of the winter after a walk in the cold and windy city. There was no guard on duty in the pool and perhaps it would be needed since some kids were quite lively. No big deal. The hot tub is very nice and very hot.
The exercise room is small but the equipment was quite good. There were two treadmills and two ellipticals with tv-screens.
The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment. There was no cheese available except cream cheese. Mostly cold food apart from extremely sweet tasting waffles and varieties of the same tasteless scrambled eggs and sausage every day. Fruit was available, which is always appreciated.
The area is mostly occupied by other hotels. It’s close to shopping street Michigan Ave and not far from good food stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. I wish there was a Intelligentsia Coffee shop close by. It didn’t stop me from visiting a few of them. My favorite is located on 53 West Jackson Blvd in the Monadnock building. Nice baristas with good skills and very nice decor.
This hotel is a good value. There is nothing special with it but for the price it’s one of the best choices in the area.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank K_S_Sjogren
Hello,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us such a comprehensive review of our hotel. At the same time I would like to apologize for the lack of follow through with our staff. This is something that we need to make sure we communicate with our guests about. I will make it a point to discuss this with our staff this week, and hopefully this in the future. Comments like yours are what help us grow as a company, and I greatly appreciate it. I hope you still enjoyed your experience with us. If you make it into town in the future (and book here), please contact me directly and I will make sure you receive a room on a high floor.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Family and I stayed here the first day of the New Year. Alex at the front desk was great. Had to wait to get our room cleaned, but this was understandable as the previous night was New Years Eve and hotel had to have been packed! Was made aware of delay, and was fine with it, walked around Michigan Avenue in the snow and had a blast! Then Alex allowed us to hang out in the lounge with the large screen tv until our room was ready! Great room, clean, modern, and a lot of space! Will definitely be back. Didn't get a chance to try the pool or hot tub, but they too looked very clean and inviting!

Room Tip: Get a room up high!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zzmanzz
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much for the great review of our hotel, and all the nice comments about us as well. Especially the ones regarding me, I'm flattered. I'm pleased to see your family enjoyed your experience with us, and yet again I'm sorry for the delay on getting you your rooms. I really hope we have the opportunity of having you as our guest again in the future so we can get you in on time, or early if possible. Its a bummer that you didn't have a chance to enjoy the hot tub, pool, or sauna. Hopefully next time you'll have a chance to. Hope your year is off to a good start!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel seemed slow. Valet was helpful in getting taxis and giving directions even tho we didn't have a car. Hot tub was HOT and felt great after walking in the cold all day. Rooms were fine nothing memorable other than breakfast. One of the best FREE breakfast I have ever had. And the fire station is right next to the hotel, or a lot of people in that area set things on fire, either way it was kind of loud; good reminder you are in the heart of the city.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Pugmama,

I really appreciate you leaving us such a great review of our hotel, and I'm very pleased to see you enjoyed your experience with us! In my unbiased opinion, I would have to say we have some of the best amenities for any hotel downtown of our caliber, and after reading your review I'm sure you'd agree. The hot tub, pool, and sauna are great in the summer, but in the winter they're even better. Its like a retreat from the winter weather. Plus, the breakfast is so filling with quite a variety of options, it makes our hotel one of a kind in my opinion. We look forward to hopefully having you as our guest again in the future!

Thanks,

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The hotel is fine, the breakfast buffet was fine the location, a block from a fire station was not so nice. I found the mattress to be a bit uncomfortable but the location of the hotel was very convenient..

Room Tip: away from the fire station..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on TripAdvisor, and for the nice comments about our property. I would have to agree with you, I do love our breakfast as well as our location. The breakfast is probably the best free breakfast I've had at a hotel especially in the city. I do apologize for the noise from the firestation. I truly hope it wasn't an inconvenience for you. If we have the pleasure of having you as guests in the future, please let us know and we'll make sure you get an interior room (they're quieter).

Champaign IL, United States
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This hotel has a great location and its lobby and rooms have obviously been updated recently. It offers the usual Hampton amenities - free breakfast, pool, in-room free wi-fi. The beds were comfortable. The only complaint is that the windows are not well insulated and on cold nights, the cold gradient could be felt. This is a small distraction from what was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Hello Janice,

I appreciate the great review of our hotel here, and I would have to agree with you about our amenities. For a very reasonably priced hotel in downtown Chicago we do have quality amenities. Free Wi-Fi, a filling breakfast with plenty of options, and our pool/hot tub/sauna really make our property a great place to spend a few nights in the city. We also have an outdoor terrace, which Im sure you saw. Its a nice little retreat in the spring and summer months. I would like to apologize about the insulation and the temperature of the room. I'll have one of our engineers take a look and see if anything is wrong. Im happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

Have a great New Year,