“Great location and thoughtful service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #48 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Great location and thoughtful service”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here two nights on business and the hotel definitely exceeded my expectations.

Positives:
-Location: great River North location just a few minutes walk from everything.
-Service: the front desk staff, bellman and housekeepers were exceedingly polite and friendly.
-Fast elevators: especially in old hotels, staying on the top floors can add 10-15 minutes to anything you try to do, but not here! No matter the time of day, I barely had to wait for an elevator.
-Decor/atmosphere: feels fancier than your average Hampton Inn, especially the lobby and common areas. My room was very clean and comfortable.

Notes:
-The (free) breakfast wasn't as hearty as some other hotels--but good thing there are so many great places within a ten minute walk!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jlau327
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Hello Jlau,

I really appreciate the awesome review of our hotel and for the great comments about us. I would have to agree with you completely about how great our location and staff are. The location is perfect for anything from a business trip, sightseeing, and even shopping. Plus, our staff is top notch and willing to help any guest out all the time. Thanks again and hopefully we can have you as our guest again in the future.

Have a great weekend,

f:312-830-0333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is very centrally located in the downtown Chicago area. It is about 4 blocks off Michigan avenue, and therefore, a little less expensive than some of the other downtown hotels, but still close enough to walk to most anything. It is clean and the staff are great!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for the nice comments. I'm glad to know you liked out location and hotel. I agree with you about our staff, theyre truly great! Hope you had a safe trip home and maybe we'll have the privilege of having you as our guest in the future.

Have a great weekend,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was highly impressed by the rooms here- it was great to have a suite with a king bed and separate kitchen and living room area. The staff was extremely friendly when we arrived our room was not ready but they held our luggage for us. The breakfast is a standard Hampton buffet- always great! The rooms and location made this a great hotel. Within walking distance of restaurants and tourist sites within Chicago. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to experience and see all that is Chicago!

Room Tip: Make sure that you have a suite!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Hello Klee,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for the awesome comments about the hotel and staff! Im glad you enjoyed the suite. In my unbiased opinion our suites are the best deal for the money in town. With just under 600 square feet, two separate rooms, two tv's, and a kitchenette they make your time in the city even better. I hope you had a safe trip home and hopefully we have the change to have you as our guest again in the future!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife recently and I were in Chicago briefly (2 days/1 night) and stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites @ River North. We have stayed at this hotel approximately 20 times over the course of the last 15 years or so. We keep coming back because the entire hotel staff is and has always been very hospitable and welcoming. The rooms are always nice and the hotel has a great location - close to everything: shopping, dining, museums, etc.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Patrick,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review and for your loyalty to our hotel when you visit the city. It was truly a pleasure having you and your wife as our guests. Its comforting to know that we've stayed consistent and always offered quality customer service over the years. Although it was my first time meeting you and your wife, I look forward to having you two as our guests again in the future!

Have a great week!

Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great Hotel, Great Service. Took the Family to Chicago for Spring Break, the hotel is in the middle of it all. Friendly Staff. I had read about the noise from the Fire Depart. house across the street. When I checked in, I asked for a quite room, and Hotel Staff was accommodating. I did not hear the Fire Trucks at all. My Children loved the swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello Tripper,

I'm very happy to hear your family enjoyed your Spring Break here with us, and thank you for sharing your experience with everyone as well. Its good to know that we were able to accommodate you and get you in a quiet room. For the lighter sleepers the exterior rooms might not be ideal with the urban noise. Glad the swimming pool worked out for your kids as well, it sure it nice hopping in or in the hot tub with the weather the way its been. Thanks again for choosing us and have a great week!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 14 March 2014

All PROs, no CONs for this hotel. Great location (go and have dinner at Portillo's, you'll go there more than once for their cheeseburgers), many subway stations nearby (as well as the one that leads you to the airport in 40 minutes). Big rooms, fully equipped (ours had mini-fridge and microwave). Always pretty, always clean. The beds, OMG, the best place ever to sleep in. Amazing breakfast, everything was delicious. And last but not least, the staff. Everyone was so helpful. I really want to highlight Janely's job at front desk (I'm sorry if I've misspelled her name). She was the sweetest person. Please, say hi to her form the two guys who asked her to come to the Museum of Science and History.
We're planning to go back to Chicago next year. We will definitely choose Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown again. Thank you very much to everyone who made our first time in Chicago so pleasant. Keep up with such a great job!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hola,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us such an awesome review. This morning I was actually going over the response you left with Yaneli and she commented on how nice it was to have you two as our guest. She truly is one of the best i've ever encourtered in my years in hotels. She works very hard and cares about each and every guest as if they were family. I would have to agree with you 100% about our beds, they are amazing. Its hard to explain to others, but its the perfect mix of plush and firm creating a perfect nights rest. Thanks again and we hope you had a safe trip home!

Hello TexasAggiesFab5,

Thank you for such a comprehensive review of our property and gracious praise. You're correct though and I agree with you entirely, our staff is amazing and they give their all every single day. Also, our location is ideal for nearly any agenda when visiting the city, and its in the heart of the restaurant district. I'm very pleased to hear that you would stay here again in the future, and I look forward to having you as our guest.
ddfdf

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We just completed a 5 night stay at Hampton Inn Downtown Chicago and we were so happy with our decision to stay here. There were so many choices that choosing the right place to stay, without being familiar with the area, was somewhat worry some. Our suite was clean, the daily maid service was great, front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and on one occasion the doorman helped us find a flat fare cab out to All State Arena. The breakfast was well stocked and offered something for everyone. The pool area and gym were clean and the laundry room accessible and clean as well. Our room was quiet with the few exceptions being the occasional sirens at night and the elevator noise at busy times, but neither of those are really fixable, just part of staying in a hotel and being in the city. The front desk does offer ear plugs for guests who are light sleepers. The location was very good. We could walk to many places, especially restaurants. We were a 10-15 walk from both the blue line to the airport and the redline out to Wrigley. A short 5 block walk to the bus stop where we picked one up to go to Museum of Science and Industry and a different one to museum campus (Field museum, Aquarium and Planetarium). Within walking distance of Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier (a little long for our 6 year old but we did it). We were very happy with our stay. High praises for the staff, they work hard and it shows. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014