Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Potomac, Maryland
“Meh”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had a very nice six-person suite, at a reasonable price, which is very hard to find in Chicago. That's the good news. The bad news is that you are right next to a fire station, and the hotel itself warns you about the street noise. It wasn't as bad as I expected, other than the fire trucks and an occasional motorcycle, I didn't hear much street noise. BUT: Why not, if you know the noise is a problem, invest in the type of windows that block it? I know it can be done.

Also, the front desk staff was mediocre. They promised a call when the room was ready, never got one. On checkout, there was a line ten persons long, people checking in and out at the same time. Finally, a bellman called the manager to help, but they obviously needed more than one person at the desk.

It wasn't a sufficiently bad stay that I would invoke the Hampton Inn guarantee, but I probably wouldn't stay there again unless I couldn't find a better alternative to handle my large family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank danielbeez
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Hello Daniel,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for sharing your feedback with us. As much of an excuse as it might sound like, it seems as if you may have caught the front desk at a very busy time on the weekend. Our front desk staff is one of the best in the city, and personally some of the friendliest people I've had the chance to work with over the years. I'm sorry to hear about the noise you experienced from the street/fire station. I always suggest that our light sleepers get an interior room as it greatly reduced the amount of street noise. I really hope you decide to give us another chance if you return to Chicago. We will make sure you have a much better experience with us.

Alex Sailor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The location of this hotel is fantastic, and for the dates I was staying was definitely the best value in the area. The staff was very friendly, and honored what I requested when I made the reservation without me having to remind them. Yes, as other reviews state the hotel is right across from a fire station, as are a few other competitor hotels on neighboring blocks. Even at home in a suburban setting I sleep with earplugs and a white noise machine, and those were sufficient to drown out any city noise as well. The room was showing some minor wear in some areas, but other things like the shower had been refurbished. We had plenty of hot water, towels and toiletries; and the bed was very comfortable. The included breakfast adds to the value of the hotel. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise from the fire house, ask for a room that faces the other direction.
Green Features: This was one of the few hotels that actually honored our desire to reuse towels. They left them on the hook for us to reuse and also provided new ones should we desire them as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wahoowahuvahoo
Hello Needstogetaway,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I really appreciate you pointing out and commenting on our green features option with the towels we use. It is one of the many things we've done to reduce energy costs and do our bit to be green. Im happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your request and that the noise wasn't an issue for you. The fire station can cause extra urban noise, but like you said interior rooms greatly reduce the amount of noise heard in the rooms. Hopefully you had a safe trip home and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Minnepolis, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here for our daughter's sports tournament. The hotel was nice, clean, staff were friendly. Great location. Good complementary breakfast. Lots of good restaurants and shopping nearby. The lobby was nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Jennifer H
Hello Jennifer,

Thank you so much for leaving us a review and for sharing your feedback. I hope your daughter's tournament went well. I'm glad you liked our breakfast and location. They're two of my favorite things about our hotel. Hopefully we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel had great staff. The hotel was centrally located in the heart of everything. The lobby was very impressive. The room was large and clean. This Property had the very comfortable Hampton bed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank sussan T
Alex S, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share an online review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your entire experience with us and will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was placed at the Hampton by NeoCon and was very pleased with the great location and close proximity to the Merchandise Mart. The bedding was very comfortable, and staff was very accommodating. Joe's Fish restaurant in the lobby was very good and recommend it for dinner. Also, Rockits around the corner was a fabulous lunch place. Staff referred me to the Chicago Chophouse and that was very good. And be sure to Check out Blue Chicago for evening entertainment, just two blocks away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Ratlas
Thank you for staying with us over the NEOCON convention. I know that it was a very busy time for all attending, and glad to hear that you found some time to explore our area and find a few of our wonderful restaurants. I will be sure to pass along your positive comments to our Joe Fish Restaurant General Manager. We hope to see you again next year!

Kentucky
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I went on a mini vacation with my boyfriend and I have to say I was impressed. I wasn't expecting the quality of service I got. I will definitely stay again!! And I would also recommend this location to friends.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ladybuglovers
Delighted to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your leisure trip to our hotel! We look forward to your next visit and ask that you contact us in advance if there is anything special we can do for you in advance of arrival.

Granville, Michigan
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed over a Friday night for Spring Break. The reviews I read here were pretty consistent - - nice hotel with a busy, noisy fire department across the street. For the price, I was willing to take a chance on 1) the fire department not being busy, or 2) on the other side of the hotel, or 3) maybe I would sleep through it. Wrong on all accounts, at least for me! The fire department went out at least 4 times between midnight and 6:00 am, the suites for 6 are on the side of the hotel with the fire station right across the street, and no I did not sleep through the sirens, even with the ear plugs provided in the hall when you get off the elevators. Most of the other five in my family either only heard the sirens once or not all. I used to sleep like that when I was a kid, but not anymore. With 6 of us, it was nice to have a room and breakfast for all of us instead of just "2" kids. Breakfast was great, hot and cold and even some fresh pineapple. The kids swam in the pool and it may have been warm enough for me, but I just sat in the hot tub. Valet parking had in-and-out privileges but pricey at $55 for one night. I wish I had known about spothero.com and reserved parking nearby. Used spothero a couple of weeks later for a work conference at another downtown Chicago hotel and it was great. Other than the fire station, we liked the location as we were within walking distance of two different Chicago style pizza places.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank GangOfSeven
Dear GangofSeven,

We thank you for your business, as well as taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. We certainly apologize for the noise inconvenience experienced. If you can think of anything we could have done better, please do let me know. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast offering!

312-832-0330