“I like this hotel, nice in many ways!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #49 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

So much nicer than the run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn! Bright rooms, nice decor. We had a big 2 room suite - and it was more than fine. So, check in was not as friendly as I have become accustomed to - arrived at 2, no room as ready - even though I had asked for an early check in. They said they would call when it was ready, they did not. They also missed a wake up call, which was not a big deal - as I woke up before we missed our flight. Breakfast was CROWDED. But food was fine. Very good location, and later interactions with front desk showed that most of those who man it are very nice. but, yes, the Chicago FD is next door, so you will hear them at any hour.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the West are farther away from the Fire Dept...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hello Pepelevoo,

I appreciate the great comments about our hotel and team! I would have to agree you you 100% in the sense that we are not the "run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn". We have unique decor,an original lobby, and among many things an outstanding staff! Im sorry about the wake up call and the check in time. I'll have to talk to them about that. The breakfast gets slammed every day around 9. We do our best to prepare for this, but I always tell guests that the best time to stop to eat is typically 45 mins before of after 9. I hope you had a safe trip home and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown

Reviewed 23 June 2014

With a great location, good pricing and attentive staff. Free breakfast can be for the hardy or the easy eaters, and the comp newspapers provide excellent start for the day. Room amenities were just fine, wi-fi throughout and personal computers in the business office; clean swimming pool; flat-screen; room clean and quiet and much more. No room service, but take-away near and since Chicago is the home to the food industry, you won’t notice. Was there 5 nights and while occupancy with families and children increased on the weekend it was still a calm place. Exceptional place for all and good value too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hey abletokhuna,

I wanted to thank you for all of the compliments about our hotel and staff! I think we have such a great hotel with so many features, and its always reassuring to hear the same thing from our guests. I truly hope you enjoyed your experience with us. You mentioned our location in relation to food and you're absolutely correct. We are surrounded by some of the best restaurants in the city, and many of them are affordable as well. Hopefully we have the opportunity to have you as our guest in the future!

Have a great week!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

When I arrived at 2 a m due to travel delays I met the desk clerk and security guard occupying their closed lobby. The lobby closes at 11 pm for security purposes. I was in my room in minutes. It was clean and well appointed the a mini fridge and microwave. We attended the free breakfast about 9 am with quite a few guest. they served scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, rolls, oatmeal coffee and more. I was a 6:30 visitor on subsequent mornings with less of a crowd. Their lobby has access to two restaurants. Ruth Criss and Joe Fish both up scale eateries.There are a dozen other restaurants withing a couple of blocks. The river north location is handy by car and cab to most of Chicago's downtown attractions. The lobby in the Frank Lloyd Wright style is attractive and functional. Daily housekeeping brought my room back to neat a clean. I was impressed by their service and amenities. I will be a return customer.

Room Tip: Fire station a block away provided more noise than I had expected. The breakfast while plentiful was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello TarrantTexas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm glad to know you enjoyed your time here, and that you were able to take advantage of our awesome breakfast. With a rotating menu and a ton of options its worth taking a look at. I'm glad that you were able to notice the Frank Lloyd Wright layout in the lobby. Not many people pick up on it, and I feel that it makes our property quite unique for being a chain hotel. I hope you had a safe trip home!

Have a great 4th of July!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

my granddaughter and I stayed at the Hampton 6/15/14 for 5nites.. the rooms mostly have doors for adjoining space for familys, but if you are only using one room there is very little insulation between rooms.. and one can easily hear conversations and babies crying, or kids just yelling and having fun,, I asked about a room with no adjoining door and there are precious few.. mainly only the suites.. the rooms were clean and no complaints there, do wish there would have been a mini fridge...

Room Tip: our room was 410.. loud noise from adjoin room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank aggie_13
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hello Aggie_13,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for sharing your feedback with us. Also, I wanted to apologize for the noise that come from the room that was connected to yours. Sometimes guests don't realize how loud they're being and it causes them to disturb their neghibors. We do our best to prevent it, but are more than happy to call and ask them to keep it down. However, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us otherwise. I hope you and your granddaughter had fun during your time in Chicago and a safe trip home.

Thanks,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed in room 1217, right off the elevator. When I entered the room I was underwhelmed based on the pictures I viewed on Expedia.

I usually don't stay in Hampton's, but decided to give it a try.

The room was small, but comfortable. Everyone in the party commented on the size of the room. The bathroom was nothing to chatter about. It was simple and plain.

The hotel was very quiet even with our room being right by the elevator.

We used the free breakfast service. It was nice and stocked with a decent arrangement of food. The tables were not clean, so we found ourselves walking around trying to find a clean table. We eventually cleaned the crumbs and drink rings off a table in order to eat.

The view we had every morning was a roof top or a corporate office. We could see people meeting in the morning, so it was a little different.

All in all, this hotel is not bad, but don't expect anything spectacular. If you want a clean and bed bug free room, stay here.

Room Tip: Don't expect a great view. You are in Chicago.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hey RADPrincipal,

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with us and providing us with feedback. I would like to agree with you 100%, our rooms are clean and bug free, as well as offering many other great qualities at our hotel. I'm glad you highlighted that your room was very quiet. Even though our hotel is beside the fire station. Many of our rooms, especially the interior ones, are very quiet and offer great quality sleep. I would like to apologize for the cleanliness of the tables during breakfast though. During the weekend mornings we can get hit by rushes during peak periods, and we do our best to keep up with stocking food and clearing tables. I will make sure that we are fully staffed moving forward and that our breakfast attendants are tending to the tables as well. I really hope you give us another chance in the future!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Took 29 teenagers and had a great stay. The staff was incredible, complimentary of our students, and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable, great breakfast area; kids loved the pool. I loved the fabulous outdoor patio behind the pool. Everything was very clean and nice. Good area; able to walk lots of places.

Room Tip: Suites are big!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HoosierCindy

Hello HoosierCindy,

Thank you so much for the great comments about our hotel and staff. I must say, I am quite disappointed that I missed you during your time with us. As an IU grad and spending 4 years in Bloomington myself, it would have been nice to meet. However, its comforting to know that a fellow Hoosier had a great experience with us, and many of them at that. I hope your drive back down went smoothly and I look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Thanks,

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I just stayed for a week.

It was a family trip so I reserved a suite with a separate bedroom with a king bed four months ago as a HHonor member.

The fridge was a small one like a regular room and the kitchen shelf was broken with pieces coming out.

The room was a corner unit next to a storage room - every morning the house keepers kept chatting outside loud enough to wake me up all the time. I was still jet lagged and it was hard for me since I was still recovering from the time difference.

The room wasn't what I expected - we were put facing the stairwell of another building with no view of anything. This was disappointing because we had reserved a room at a higher floor four months ago.

We had some shopping bags from Macy's and realized they were all gone the next day.
We called the front desk and they said they do not throw anything away.. but the fact was our bags were all gone. I had some presents inside and a few
empty shoe boxes in one of the bags. We searched the entire suite up and down and didn't find anything (and we didn't throw it away ourselves) - we called the front again and they said they could have been thrown away if it looked like trash to their cleaning staff. Alright.

When we checked out, they did not say anything about it except "alright, you are set". No apology or concern.

I've never been to Chicago so I was just telling myself that's the Chicago attitude. I am not coming back to this hotel anyway so I don't need to get pissed, but I just want to warn anyone to be careful if you book this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank tripwakid

Hello tripwakid,

I really appreciate you leaving your feedback with us on Tripadvisor and also for taking the time so share your experience. I'm very sorry to hear that you incurred a few complications during your time with us. Regarding your room location, I would like to apologize that you weren't completely satisfied with the suite. We never guarantee high or low floor rooms in advance so I'm sorry that it wasn't granted. As we are downtown Chicago we are surrounded by many buildings that are nearly double our size, thus a great view is not always available from our suites. On the bright side, you had an interior room which offers very little noise and is quieter than most in the city. The shoe boxes are typically thrown away by housekeepers to clear up room for you unless the shoes are still left in the boxes. Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and I will make sure to speak with our executive housekeeper about this. Although you seem quite set on not staying with us again, I really hope you reconsider! I will make sure you have an entirely different experience with us.