“Great location”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #54 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just stayed four nights here. Had a suite for my husband, daughter and myself. First time visitors to Chicago and found this a great location for exploring the city. Only a 5 minute walk to the river to cross into downtown and the Loop and only a 10-15 minute walk to the magnificient mile. Felt safe around the hotel area and liked the room, breakfast and hotel facilities. The fire station did not wake us up on the nights we were there. It is only a 5 minute walk to the House of Blues and The Hard rock cafe as well . A post office is just across the street too. Handy for buying stamps and for posting your postcards. The 24 hour complimentary tea,coffee and hot chocolate is a great service too. Has a great business centre for accessing the internet and checking in on line and printing your boarding passes. Was always open. On my last day but one I approached a member of staff by the car valeting area and asked if he could arrange a taxi to the airport for us the next day.. He was very helpful and organised a pick up which arrived in good time. My actions seemed to have irked the stocky concierge in reception on the day we checked out. I do not understand why and even if it did he should have hidden the fact. This is what i did at the Doubletree in New York the week before. Apart from that small issue we had a great stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor away from the elevator and had an excellent nights sleep throughout our s...
1  Thank annette121
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Hello Annette,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Im happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to both Chicago and our hotel. For a first time visitor, or anyone for that matter, our hotel is in the perfect location for doing/seeing just about anything. I appreciate you mentioning the conversation with a member of our front desk staff. I will be sure to address that with him today. I hope you had a safe trip back to the UK and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed over the busy 4th of July weekend. The room was fantastic. Both days, the breakfast was terrible. We expected a crowded breakfast room, but we also expected they would have enough food. There were no pastries, no eggs, no potatoes. The cereal containers had only a scant amount of cereal in them--not enough for a bowl of cereal. They did have a few apples & you could stand in a line of 15+ people to make a waffle. The staff should have anticipated a large crowd and had enough people working to keep up. When we mentioned that there wasn't enough food at breakfast at check-out, the desk staff acted like he had heard that complaint several times. (MANY people were complaining in the breakfast area). We choose this hotel in part because of the convenience of the breakfast.Was very disappointed!

1  Thank Trisha F
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hey Trisha,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for the helpful feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with breakfast. I spend a good amount of time up there and we do our absolute best to prepare for rushes. For example around 9:00-9:30 each weekend we get a rush. In regards to the line at the waffle machines, there is a set amount of time each one takes and unfortunately we are unable to speed up the process. I will speak to our breakfast manager and make sure she has our team prepared for rushes regardless of the time. I hope you give us another chance to show you just how good our breakfast is!

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were surprised by the level of customer service the staff put exhibited, it was refreshing to see that everyone right down to the awesome overnight guy Byron, he was very engaging and had a wealth of information about Chicago.
Not only will I recommend this hotel, I won't stay anywhere else when in Chicago.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello,

Thank you so much for the great review as well as your loyalty to our hotel. I'm very pleased to hear that you liked our staff and were able to see just how awesome they are. Like you said Byron is great, working on audit thats hard to find in the city, but he engages with all of our guests in a great way. From top to bottom I don't believe there is a better staff in hotels in Chicago.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on our first trip to Chicago ever. Super clean and comfortable room and a perfect location for exploring many of Chicago's attractions on foot. Train and shuttle are close by as well. The staff was so very helpful and enthusiastic and offered great ideas for things to do and places to eat.
The fire station can be loud at times, but you are in a city and that comes with the territory! This hotel is doing an excellent job in the middle of a great city!

Room Tip: Not overlooking the fire station would be helpful if you don't like noise.

Hey Travelartsue,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. I would have to agree with you 100%, we are a "great hotel". Like you said being in the city it does come with its urban noise but we always suggest interior rooms and earplugs to those guests. The location is unbeatable, and our staff really makes our hotel something special in my opinion. I hope you had a safe trip back to Virginia!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My friends and I went for a long weekend. Best breakfast and location was convenient to everything. Hotel staff was excellent. Very helpful and answered all our questions, even offered umbrellas when it was raining. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Mimi,

Thank you so much for the great review! Im happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. Its good to know you were able to see just how great our location, breakfast, and especially our staff are. They truly are a pleasure to work with! Im happy to hear you'd stay again and I hope that we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights. Very impressed with staff at this hotel. The front desk folks are second to none as were doormen, bellmen, valets. We had numerous occasions to use the front desk staff and they were great in every regard.

The hotel is in a superb location. One block to State Street and one block up is the Grand Subway station. This is the red line and gets you easily on the move anywhere quick and easy. Magnificent mile is two blocks east and an easy walk, no need for transportation. We walked to Navy Pier numerous times, only 10 minutes max and no need for transportation.

There are tons of great eateries and services all around hotel. You can easily walk to a huge selection so it's a great place to stay and see it all without needing a car, taxis, etc. We used the hop on/hop off bus with a three day pass and it was great to get you to the hot spots. Very well operated and excellent guide on board that give tons of info. Bus stop near hotel is only three blocks so an easy walk if you're interested.

The breakfast provided in hotel was very good and completely adequate. Room gets busier as morning progresses. If you are in before 8 it's not bad, 830 and later gets busy and tougher to get a table. They are very good at running this room though and I saw them open an area to the side a couple times to accommodate overflow. Nice touch and good customer service.

Rooms are well appointed, great air con and wifi. No issues with either. Only issue we had was one night a bunch of partiers elected to turn the room beside us into a loud, disruptive affair. Had to call front desk at 1AM and security immediately attended shutting them down. Of course they don't go to bed but continue all night at a much lesser decibel but still disruptive when you share the wall. Sleepless night but not hotels fault.

Only other issues are with noise from street. We were on floor 7 and as in any large city, there is noise. A fire hall is right outside and there are sirens all day/night. Not overly disruptive, ear plugs can resolve it for light sleepers. This is something that happens everywhere so no big deal, just enjoy the sounds of Chicago!!!

All in all, this is an outstanding location, great hotel with perfect customer service. On our next trip to Chicago, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher the better and further from elevators are best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RamboNWAlberta

Hello RamboNWAlberta,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and for the comprehensive review of our hotel! It takes time to leave a review and even more to leave one as detailed as yours, so it it much appreciated. I believe you highlighted the best points about our hotel, especially our staff. We have one of the best teams Ive ever seen in hotels.Its fun to work with them and it makes the interaction with our guests that much better. I am however sorry to hear that there was a noise disturbance coming from the room next to yours. We do our absolute best to prevent these type of occurrences, but try to resolve the ones that slip through in a timely matter. If the noise persists after a first warning, even if its like you said to a lesser degree, we will speak to the guests again and move forward accordingly. I really hope we have the chance to have you as our guests again in the future!!

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located right downtown so makes it easy to walk to everything. Free shuttle to navy pier is one block away, 2 blocks from the Magnificent Mile. Great free breakfast with lots of choices, pool and hot tub. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank DixieChick65
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hey Dixiechick65,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. Its good to know you took advantage of our great breakfast, location, and pool/hot tub/sauna. Those are some of my favorite things about our property outside of our staff. Like you said our breakfast is great and quite filling. I hope you had a safe trip home!