“Book a king corner suite!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #51 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had 2 rooms for a long weekend at this hotel, one was the king 1-bedroom corner suite and one was a standard 2-bed room. They were virtually the same price (I paid $25 more all told for 3 nights for the suite). If I had only had the suite I would have given this hotel a 5 star, but the standard room was a 3 star so I'm averaging them out. The property itself is high quality with a good location, attractive lobby and spacious 2nd-floor common areas - aesthetically pleasing black-and-cream decor. The rooms were more green decor and less pretty. They did have good beds and bathrooms. Service was also pleasant and prompt.

But there are literally a dozen chain hotels within 2 blocks, so the competition is tight and in many cases there may be no compelling reason other than price or rewards program to choose one over the other. The suite was amazing, so definitely check for that. It was basically a full size 1 bedroom apartment, with 2-sided 12th floor views of the city. Without it, I would have moved across the street to Marriott's Fairfield Inn which was noticeably less expensive for the standard rooms.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MN_on_the_road
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hello,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, sharing your feedback with us, and for choosing to stay with us given the competition in the area. Its good to know that you enjoyed your experience with us during your time here though. The King Corner Suites are my favorite rooms in the hotel. Like you said they're so spacious, have the kitchenette, and are honestly larger than most apartments downtown. Plus, our beds are incredibly comfortable and the view is great from those rooms! I sure hope you decide to stay with us again during your next trip to Chicago!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Very Nice Complimentary Breakfasts, including eggs, waffles, meats, oatmeal, yogurt, fruits, and pastries. Good coffees and available all day. Good location, close to mix of restaurants, shopping, and lakefront. Some nighttime noise from close by fire station, but comfortable rooms and very good service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom R

Hey Tom,

Thank you so much for the great review of our hotel and for sharing your experience with us! You highlighted the 3 best things about our hotel (in my opinion). The (great) complimentary breakfast, our prime location, and especially our amazing outgoing staff truly make us a special Hampton Inn. When people thing Hampton Inn our hotel is not exactly what comes to mind, but its a very pleasant surprise! We hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I picked this hotel primarily for its central location and also the size of the room/suite. It didnt disappoint on both counts. The front desk staff were very helpful and geve good advice on restuarants, sights and even jazz clubs. Staff elsewhere in the hotel were very friendly, particularly in the breakfast room, where they were also quick to apologise when things ran out (which happened every day we were there, which is the only poor element of the stay - one day they were out of bananas, the next day out of low fat yoghurts.
We were not affected by the fire station next door, as other have mentioned, but then we were on the 12th floor, at the other end of the hotel (1202)
All in all what, I expected, the plus being the great staff and free wi-fi, the negative being the breakfast selection (or lack of it)

Room Tip: Rooms at the far end of the corridor from the lifts (to the right) are away from the fire station

Hello JSM8,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us! Its always nice when our guests read the reviews online, see the quality of the hotel/staff we have, and we meet or exceed those expectations. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and for being so patient with our breakfast. We do our best to have plenty of food prepared at all times, but when the rush comes sometimes it puts a damper on things. You stayed in a nice suite on the top floor (one of my favorites). They're so spacious and it makes traveling with a family or an extended stay much better. I hope you had a safe trip back to London!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I moved away from Chicago 3 years ago; this time visited for business. Needed to go to the suburbs the next day, but wanted to stay in the City on a beautiful Chicago night. This is a perfect location. Walk to Michigan Avenue, great restaurants, pubs, rental cars. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Alex S, Guest Experience Mamager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hello Darla,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm glad to know you enjoyed your time here. It must be nice coming back to such a great city. You made the right decision staying here and going out to the suburbs for work. Its easy to get on the highway from here, or even the train if your prefer. I hope work went well and that you had a good trip home!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

This hotel is well situated a block from the Grand/State red line subway station, allowing easy access to tourist attractions throughout the city. The room was clean and neat and comfortable and my grandson and I enjoyed the pool. There's a supermarket a block away and a free trolley to Navy Pier at the nearest corner. It was a perfect place for our exploration of the city and gave us easy access to both White Sox and Cubs games. Thumbs up!

1  Thank John P
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hey John,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for the great review! Your comments pretty much summed up how awesome our location is. Right near transportation that will take you all over the city and the free trolley to Navy Pier. It makes getting around a breeze, and not only saves you money but makes your vacation less work. I hope were able to have you as out guest again in the future!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

For the price of the room per night I definitely felt that I didn't get a very nice room. I was near the elevator and you can hear that run all night long. I was expecting a bit more from the pictures that were provided. They need to update their database with more recent pictures.

Hey Eric,

Thank you so much for taking the time to to leave us a review and for sharing your feedback with us. I sure hope you enjoyed your experience with us outside of the items your brought up. If you decide to stay with us again please contact me directly and I will make sure to give you a complimentary upgrade. I hope we have the chance to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown is located near key sights. We walked or took the bus practically everywhere. Staff were mostly very helpful (except for the check in staff who was very rude). Complimentary breakfast was fine for our family's needs (scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy, oatmeal, muffins, bagels, fruits, etc. The major problem we had was that our double bed corner suite is right next to the fire department. The sirens were so loud we thought our windows were open. My sister's family stayed on the opposite side of the building and did not hear the sirens. The elevators have a very loud humming sound which kept my other sister's family awake. So the best location for rooms would be away from fire station and elevators.

Hello Nancy,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for all of the great compliments. Im pleased to hear that you liked our hotel and staff. Thank you for mentioning your interaction with one of our associates during your check in. I will make it a point to speak with them and address your comments. Its good to know your family liked our breakfast, and all of the options it offered! The corner suites are the best at the hotel and I love how spacious they are. Unfortunately there is noise from the fire department and Im sorry that it kept you awake. I hope to have you as our guest again in the future, and we'll try to get you a quieter room.