“Great value, excellent location, includes a nice breakfast!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #49 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband, adult daughter and I stayed here for three nights in room 1003. It was spacious (compared to some hotels in the city), extremely clean, and well-appointed. The location was perfect for us, close to transportation, good restaurants, and shopping!! The breakfast was plentiful, and included something for everyone. The pool, while small, had a nice sun deck and whirlpool. The front desk staff and concierge were very helpful. My only complaint (and I informed management) was that the maid was cleaning our room, the door was open, and I went back to get something that I forgot. She asked me if it was my room, and when I said "yes" she let me in without me proving that. The housekeeping staff should provide more room security for their guests. We enjoyed our stay, and will use this hotel again for future visits.

• Stayed: September 2009
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown

Reviewed 22 August 2009

The location was good for us - close to Michigan Avenue, shopping, Rainforest Cafe, cool two-story McDonald's. There is a firestation across the street but that didn't actually turn out to be significant during the night. The hotel was a bit shabbier than I expected. My only gripe was that the breakfast (free) was poorly managed and there were long periods with no coffee or milk. There was a person staffing and restocking but she didn't seem to be much planning ahead or plan ahead or have any motivation to move faster. The food was ok but not great.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2009

good location in North Michigan. Go early to breakfast as it gets hugely busy! Across the street from the fire station, so it can get very noisy at any time of the day or night.

Reviewed 28 July 2009

My husband, brother, 14 year old daughter, and myself stayed here from July 13 to July 17, 2009. We stayed in room 1029. We had a wonderful stay. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. When we left on our outings each morning, the concierge made sure we knew where we were going. The location is perfect, central to everything. For example, when walking, we were about 25 minutes to Navy Pier and 15 minutes to the John Hancock Observatory. We had a 2 room suite. The kitchenette had everything needed for cooking (if desired). The beds were extremely comfortable. My brother said the pull out couch bed was comfortable as well. We could hear the fire engines occasionally, but it didn't bother us. There was plenty to eat each morning for breakfast, there were eggs and baocn or sausage, cereals, breads, bagels, and muffins, lots to choose from. The subway was close by as well, which made it easier to get to Wrigley Field.

We would deifinitely stay here again.

We can't say anything negative about the hotel!

Reviewed 27 July 2009

I was there in Hampton for 15 Odd days.The place is nice except the fact that it rub it's shoulders with a fire station.It sometimes become annoying listening to those alarm sounds again and again.
The staff was very helpful.The complimentary breakfast is good but they don't change their menu very often so i was quite bored eating the same stuff daily.As for the amenties the Internet room is good but speed is very slow.The pool area is well maintained but gym lacks quite a few essential equipments.One thing which I figured out was that one has to wait a lot(5-7 mins) for the lift & moreover it is sometimes shared by the hotel cleaning staff etc, so it's becomes quite messy sometimes.

Overall experience was good.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I would only recommend this hotel if you are a very heavy sleeper. My teenage children slept through all the sirens and honking from the fire engines and ambulances from the station across the street, but I always heard them leaving and returning throughout the night. The front desk will supply you with ear plugs, but that didn't make a difference.
As for the room - we ended having a closet door removed because of a broken mirror. There were black scuff marks on the wall paper and the covers on the baseboard heaters were bent out of shape in several areas.
We had a corner suite with a kitchen, full size fridge, dining area, microwave, 2 cooking units with dishes and utensils and a few cooking supplies. There was a flat screen TV in the living area and bedroom. It was a very large suite considering we were in the middle of downtown Chicago.
Breakfast in the morning was ok. Lots of bagels, toast, muffins, juice, fruit, coffee and tea. I don't recommend the perfectly shaped round rubber eggs nor the biscuit.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. 30 - 40 min. walking distance to Millenium Pk, Navy Pier and Water Tower Place.

Reviewed 20 July 2009

We found a discouted rate at this hotel and really got a great rate on one of the suites. It was nice to have space in a city hotel. Sometimes you can spend so much for such a little room. One of the nicer touches is having a bedroom that you can close off from the rest of the room. Even though we had the room to ourselves, it was nice to feel like we had some addtional privacy. Also in a great locale to do some walking around Chicago on a nice summer day.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple