“great location except for fire station”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #51 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 November 2009

My husband and I with two boys under 6 stayed in a one bedroom corner suite for 6 nights and enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately our room was directly opposite the Fire Station - however, the was seen as a total bonus to my boys who camped at the window the whole time watching and listening to the big red engines! It certainly didn't assist with over coming jet lag when woken up by a siren at 4am...however, the room coped with our family of 4 very well and the kitchen was very handy. The seperate lounge room gave us enough room to spread out. The breakfast was better than I've had on some other US trips (there was actually hot food and not just doughnuts) but the use of disposable crockery and cuttlery was very disturbing - way too much waste and using a plastic knife is never satisfactory. The hotel is in the middle of the restaurant district and an easy walk to everything else. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 November 2009

I checked in and after seeing the room and hearing sirens from the fire station next door, checked back out and found another hotel. The room was spacious, but was in serious need of renovation. The furniture was worn, chipped and stained. The ceiling had a large water stain. The bathroom was really shabby, peeling wall paper, stains on the countertop and mirror. The only things in the room that appeared new were the bed and flat screen t.v. The manager said they will be renovating soon - I would skip this hotel until that happens. Unfortunately they cannot do anything about the proximity to the fire station, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to avoid this one completely.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank AZTraveler100
HamptonRiverNorthGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

Dear AZtravler100,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry you had that kind of experience with our hotel; however, as of August 1st, 2010 we have completed a $4m renovation of the property. Everything has been taken out of the guest rooms and replaced with a beautiful contemporary design and feel. You can see the before and after pictures posted by other travelers on tripadvisor.com. I also noticed that you were here on business. We have also upgraded our internet connection to a fiber optic cable giving us over 4 times the previous speed of our internet.

If you are in the area again, we would love to have the opportunity to regain your loyalty. My team and I look forward to serving you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Andrew Scarlett

Reviewed 9 October 2009

Nice hotel, friendly service and great breakfast service. It's really close to the fire station so there was quite a bit of noise from the sirens. But the front desk does have ear plugs, would stay agian.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2009

My husband and I stayed here one night. We arrived in town much earlier than our check-in time. I had called ahead to ask the front desk if we may leave our luggage until check in time, and was told it would not be a problem. Upon arriving at the hotel, they let us check in ! Much earlier than check in time! We were thrilled. Our room was very spacious, and clean. The FREE breakfast is very good ! The staff in the dining area were very pleasant,and it was well stocked even when it got busy. we will plan to stay again when we return to Chicago, we love this town !

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We choose this hotels from a combination of location and price. The first impression was that it was an OK match between price and quality, without being impressed in any way. But the receptionist made this a very unpleasant experience when we checked out. The previous day my wife had just left her nightgown on the bed, and it was gone when we returned to the room at night. Next morning when checking out, we ask the receptionist if he could help us locate it. By telling us that it was impossible that it could dissapear from the room, he only called housekeeping to check if it was found, as we kept on insisting. It took him less that two seconds on the phone to verify that it wasn't. We tried to call the hotel a few days later to hear if it was been found, but felt we got the same attitude. Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband, adult daughter and I stayed here for three nights in room 1003. It was spacious (compared to some hotels in the city), extremely clean, and well-appointed. The location was perfect for us, close to transportation, good restaurants, and shopping!! The breakfast was plentiful, and included something for everyone. The pool, while small, had a nice sun deck and whirlpool. The front desk staff and concierge were very helpful. My only complaint (and I informed management) was that the maid was cleaning our room, the door was open, and I went back to get something that I forgot. She asked me if it was my room, and when I said "yes" she let me in without me proving that. The housekeeping staff should provide more room security for their guests. We enjoyed our stay, and will use this hotel again for future visits.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 22 August 2009

The location was good for us - close to Michigan Avenue, shopping, Rainforest Cafe, cool two-story McDonald's. There is a firestation across the street but that didn't actually turn out to be significant during the night. The hotel was a bit shabbier than I expected. My only gripe was that the breakfast (free) was poorly managed and there were long periods with no coffee or milk. There was a person staffing and restocking but she didn't seem to be much planning ahead or plan ahead or have any motivation to move faster. The food was ok but not great.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family