“Third Time”

GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Third Time”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This was our third stay at the Burnham. We really love the historical character of the building. We take Amtrak to Chicago and it is an easy walk from Union Station to the Burnham. Our room was perfect, very clean, with a great bed. It is a very comfortable place. The staff are friendly and the front desk is always very helpful with transportation and dining ideas. We had a nice breakfast in the Atwood Café. This is the only place we stay on our trips to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
We are all truly thank you for staying with us and being so loyal, We all ove that you enjoy your time with us here at the Burnahm, thanks again for choosing us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Burnham this past winter. I booked it primarily because I found a decent price for online. Because of the hotel's name, I was expecting the hotel to have some historical significance, but I didn't realize until I got there that this building was originally the Reliance building, an important landmark for its role in the architectural development of the skyscraper. I was happy to see that the hotel pays homage to this feat. I also loved the hotel's decor, both in the lobby and in our room. The wine reception in the afternoon is a great perk (a feature of all Kimptons). The staff was friendly and helpful when we needed recommendations for a restaurant. The room wasn't huge, but it was very comfortable. And I would gladly lose a few square feet for the charm of a historic building so well maintained. The hotel's location is terrific for shopping and sightseeing--equally convenient to the Mile and the museums. Chicago has a lot of options for downtown/Streeterville hotels, but this one might be my favorite.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
The whole team read your comments and was so happy you had an enoyable stay with us. We all so love this hotel and were excited to hear you did too. We all hope to see you again in the not so distant future. Thanks for choosing to stay with us!
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Loved the hotel - room was a great size for a twin, outstanding extras (Aveda toiletries, bathrobe, umbrella, even socks - at a price!). Early morning coffee supplies & early evening wine was a lovely touch. Staff very friendly and interested in our trip without being intrusive
The location wasn't great for a tourist weekend eg a local breakfast haunt was closed Sat/Sun, and we found it a bit of a walk to evening restaurants that suited us.
Our room overlooked the main intersection in town but wasn't noisy and heavy curtains dealt with the lights.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Aliten
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us, we are delighted you enjoyed yours stay and found the hotel to your satisfaction. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is a lovely hotel, tastefully restored and decorated, and the location was perfect for walking to Grant Park for the Blues Festival and convenient to stores and restaurants. I live in a historic home, therefore I am very drawn to old architecture, original wood, etc, which is why I have always been attracted to old hotels especially the Kimpton collections. However I realized that with the character one sacrifices some modern amenities. I wrote my frustrations down as they occurred starting with no place to put my toilettries, ie. makeup bag, hair and bathing products, toothbrushes, flatiron, medicine, etc. I have one bag I hung on a hook behind the door. Consequently most of these things I kept on the floor in the bathroom or floor of the clothes closet. We noticed there was no coffeemaker in the room and the tv station selection was very limited. We could have used more drinking glasses as there were only two glasses and two wine glasses. My husband complained that we could have had more towels. Granted I believe if we had asked for additional towels and glasses they would have been more than happy to accommodate us, but we just chose to ignore these. We were suppose to get a paper in the morning and once we realized we hadn't we called the desk to inquire about it. He was very accommodating and gave me a choice of one of three. This was a friday but we didn't receive a paper until Monday morning and it wasn't even one of the original choices. Lastly we ordered room service for breakfast for two people, but they only brought a table service for one except they did bring 2 cups. We made do because we were checking out shortly and didn't have time to wait for more eating utensils. These were all fairly minor complaints that could have easily been remedied. But the no space in the bathroom and no coffee maker made we realize that while I love old buildings and antiques I'm not sure enough to sacrifice some of the modern conveniences and space of newer more modern hotels. We splurged for this, paying more than we have ever paid for a hotel room, and didn't feel it was worth it.

We weren't around during the complimentary wine every evening but appreciated the cold water and iced tea always available at the front desk just as we came in from the hot outdoors. We ate in the restaurant for sunday brunch and it was very very good. For some reason I expected a brunch buffet but to my delight we ordered off the menu. The bellhop was always helpful waving us a cab and the valet was fast to retrieve our car. Beware they charge $50 a night to park, but we expected that given the lack of space in large downtown cities.

I still would recommend the Burnham as a classy place to stay, but because I live in a historic home 24/7, I came to realize enjoying modern luxuries is a special treat for me when on vacation.

Room Tip: Several days before we were to arrive the hotel notified us through e-mail that if we wanted we cou...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thanks so much for staying with us at the Burnham, the hotel and Atwood teams were thrilled to read your comments.
White Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My family spent the weekend in Chicago for no reason other than spending a weekend in Chicago and an excuse to take a train ride. I wanted someplace close enough to walk from the train station and Magnificent Mile, and nice enough to be enjoyable, and the Burnham Hotel had great reviews. The staff members were all great, and very helpful and courteous, allowing for late checkout and keeping our bags while we shopped around the city. The restaurant was very good, and the room was clean and nice. The building was opened in 1895, so the facility itself is quite old, and lacks the size and features of more modern designs, but overall was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
We're thrilled you choose our hotel for your trip to down town Chicago, thanks so much for your feedback
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This was my first stay at this hotel, and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The historical building is beautiful and different, the location is great, and the service was excellent. Everyone was extremely accommodating and friendly and made me feel very welcome throughout my stay. I can't say enough nice things about the staff and the way I was treated. I'm planning a trip back to Chicago next month and have already made my reservation to stay at Hotel Burnham again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
TeamBurnhamChicago, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
We're really proud of the warm, intimate atmosphere we create and love that you enjoyed your stay and we are excited to welcome you back.
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is the second time we've stayed at the Hotel Burnham and it just keeps amazing us with great service and beautiful decor. We had a corner suite facing State Street so we could see the Pritzker Pavillion in MP and beyond to the Lake. The staff is attentive and just the right amount of helpful.
The beautiful and romantic Atwood Cafe provides perfect service and delicious menu offerings. Be sure to reserve a table as it is quite popular. Intimate and well appointed lobby for nightly wine reception. Interesting historic building with Louis Sullivan ironwork decorating the elevators.
If you appreciate attention to detail and a perfect example of adaptive reuse of an architectually significant Chicago building thie Burnham will not disappoint!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor for less city ambient sounds.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
We're thrilled you chose our hotel and had a great time. The whole team sends you thier best.