“Very nice”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #17 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Experienced the opportunity to stay at the Burnham in Chicago this past week. Very nice experience. They took the time to make each guest feel like we were staying in our home. Evening wine is the perfect ending to a day at work. Clean rooms and comfortable beds.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Robinskj,

We hope we made you feel welcomed! We appricate your feed back. We are very excited that we were able to meet your expectations. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham. You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable. We hope we have created a one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

1 West Washington Street

Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was my third Kimpton hotel that I decided to stay at in Chicago (stayed at Monaco and Allegro before and was not disappointed). I LOVED Hotel Burnham. First, the location is amazing. You are on the corner of Washington and State, so you are at the heart of an awesome shopping experience (I prefer State St. shopping over Michigan Ave. shopping). Aside from State St., you can walk to Millennium Park, Daley Center, and it's less than 3 miles away from the United Center. The hotel itself was great!! It's in an historic building (you actually have a real key for the door, not a card), but the rooms are super clean and modern. The Queen room is perfect for one or two people on a short trip (not much room for luggage in the rooms). The staff is very helpful and friendly as well. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher up floor so you don't hear traffic. Stayed on the 11th floor and I di...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank YumMT2013

Dear YumMT2013,

You Love us and we Love You! We hope we made you feel welcomed! We are so excited that you had the opportunity to experience this 1895 modern day Skyscraper of it's time. We appreciate your feed back. We are very excited that we were able to meet your expectations. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham. You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable. We hope we have created a one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Chicago, IL 60602

Reviewed 13 April 2014

From the minute we walked in, the staff was friendly, helpful and hospitable. We were there to celebrate our anniversary and they sent a bottle of wine up to our room. There was a free wine reception in the lobby on Friday night. The room was very nicely appointed, the beds were comfortable. (Did not like the pillows, but that is a small thing and a personal taste). Coffee is available free in the lobby. The theaters/art district is right there, convenient walking distance to everything. They do offer parking overnight (a bit expensive, but very convenient in a city this size) The whole experience here was outstanding. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Go higher. Views are very cool. We were on 10th floor.
1  Thank Paulette Y

Dear Paulette Y,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We wish you would have asked about our pillow library. Have over 8 different pillow types to choose from. Very sorry we did not make your aware. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you had a good time. We look forward to your next visit.

312-782-1111

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice on my trips to Chicago and I can't rave enough about it. Both of my trips here have been on business, I really didn't have a choice with hotels as my company chose this hotel since it was close to our offices. But rest assured, they are always concerned about whether they should continue to put business travelers here - and I have to say I hope they continue to do so.

First as many reviewers have mentioned before me, the staff is incredible. They door and bell staff and very attentive, always treat you like a guest and always feel welcomed. A sort of lost art in my opinion. The concierge we saw regularly was excellent, Jean-Luc. I feel that this guy knows the city very well and always has great suggestions for what you might be in the mood for.

The rooms were very well cleaned and maintained. I really don't have a huge standard, just a comfortable bed and fairly quiet area. Keep in mind its in the middle of "The Loop" which is surrounded my the L trains, so if your not used to city noise this might be an issue for you. I hail from Philadelphia so I regularly sleep through police and ambulance sirens. The room was great, has a well stocked honor bar and the housekeeping staff do a great job cleaning, they even left a note asking things are okay. The smaller things in life are very appreciated.

Amenities, the hotel has a very nice restaurant and great food. I ordered room service one night both the service and the food were excellent. There was a restaurant in the lobby but I didn't visit it this time. There's an okay fitness center, it is a little small but still serves a purpose.

Location. For me it was a great location, in the loop near transit, theatre options and dining options are only a few steps away.

I had a great time overall, I hope our company continues to use them as our hotel when we're in town.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pennccrn

Dear Pennccrn,

We hope your company continue to use Hotel Burnham as there source for lodging! We hope we made you feel welcomed! This historical landmark is the first steel frame Skyscraper in the Midwest, that's right. Living history at the Hotel Burnham! We are so excited that you had the opportunity to experience this 1895 modern day Skyscraper of it's time. We appricate your feed back. We are very excited that we were able to meet your expectations. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham. You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable. We hope we have created a one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Chicago, IL 60602

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed six days, the architecture is gorgeous but suites are on the small side, tiny bathrooms ... not the luxury bath one would expect in an "executive" suite. Almost no extras included in the premium rates, there is a charge for every little thing, no spa, and the management is very rigid. It is only barely pet friendly in that they tolerate the presence of pets, but only barely. Hotel Allegro, by comparison, has always been very accommodating and is only a couple blocks away. Learned my lesson, we will go back to the Allegro from now on.

Room Tip: Corner suites have more windows but amenities are lacking.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jjwhoever

Dear JJwhoever,

Sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our services. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so thankful that you enjoyed the Historical Reliance Building. It truly a charm. It is very important to us that you walk away satisfied with the product. Sorry we did not meet your expectations. We are in negotiation for a full renovation. Hopefully, you give us another try once we are renovated. We have 3 other Kimpton Hotels in the surrounding area.. Please give them a try in the meantime.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

After searching online for hotels in the Loop, I unexpectedly came across the Hotel Burnham. The location was right, and I was intrigued by the Burnham name after having read "The Devil in the White City" several years ago. Although we only stayed one night, we really enjoyed our time there. The staff was very nice, the decor was lovely, the restaurant was elegant (we had a delicious breakfast there), and my husband especially enjoyed the complimentary wine hour from 5-6. We don't stay overnight in Chicago too often, but I can guarantee that we will stay there again during our next visit to the Windy City. Everything was top-notch!

1  Thank NMeikrantz

Dear NMeikrantz,

Thank you for your TOP NOTCH survey...Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so thankful that you enjoyed the Historical Reliance Building. It truly a charm. It is very important to us that we make you and your family feel welcome. Hopefully, we were able to create an one of a kind experience that will stay with you forever. We look forward to your next visit, so we can shower you with another great experience.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for an anniversary trip. I didn't know exactly what we'd get, but I'm glad we gave it a shot. Everything was good, but a few things deserve being highlighted:

The staff. Everyone was very nice, very welcoming, and very helpful. The doorman always opened the door and welcomed us with a smile. The concierge, Jean-Luc, was the best I've ever experienced. He helped me track down a difficult-to-find champagne so that I could take a case back home with me. He was great for recommending restaurants. He also helped arrange a dog-walking service for our dog for the days we were there. When we checked in, he congratulated us on our anniversary. Every time he saw us he asked if we were having a good time. When we called to the front desk, the person who answers addresses you by name when picking up the phone. They also wrote our dog's name on a welcome board. The woman who cleaned our room, Margarita, left a nice, personalized note for us. Also, the staff was always very friends to our dog. They said hello, bent down and petted him, and, when he was barking up a storm while we were out shopping, they went and got him and brought him down to the front desk so he wouldn't be alone. And when we returned they were very polite. They didn't make us feel bad about him at all. To summarize, they make you feel like you're important. It's these little touches that really sets Hotel Burnham apart from others.

The building itself was very nice. Beautiful, opulent room, beautiful architecture, beautiful staircase and elevators. The attention to detail is clear. Plus, this was in the heart of Chicago, a short walk to many major attractions, and on a heavily traveled street, which means catching a cab was easy (as in I waited less than 1 minute to flag one down).

Of course, there are always some downsides to anywhere you stay. The biggest downside is also one of the upsides: location. Specifically, the hotel is not too far from the above-ground train and we could hear it well into the night. If you're used to a quiet place in the country or suburbs where there's very little noise, then this may bother you. For us, it was only a minor inconvenience.

The only other downside is that there's not a close place to walk the dog. The dog-friendly park isn't very far, but when the dog is about to explode, it's too far, and when it's raining, windy, and in the 30s, it's not a pleasant walk. Again, it's a small inconvenience for being able to bring your dog, but it's worth keeping in mind. If your dog is pad-trained, not a problem.

Suggestions for those bringing a pet: We hadn't really traveled with our dog before, and we found out the hard way that he barks at every sound he doesn't recognize (my sincerest apologies to others on our floor). This meant that we spent more time in the hotel than we had planned. I think part of the problem was being on the floor with the fitness center (Floor 3). Our floor probably has more traffic than many other floors (with the possible exception being the floors with the ice machines on them). If your dog barks at noises, request a floor with minimal foot traffic on it. Next time we'll try to get a room as far away from everyone else as possible so that our dog doesn't disturb anyone if he does bark. Or bring a muzzle.

My only suggestion to the hotel would be to explore the option of making a dog-walking area on top of the building. I don't know what's up there, but if a small green space could be produced it would likely be very appreciated by those that bring their dogs.

Room Tip: Floors 2 and 6 have ice machines, Floor 3 has a work-out room. These floors probably are a bit nois...

Dear Mr. Ma11hew,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. Your 5 Star review really makes us happy. The Staff makes every guest feel welcome and appreciated. We Love that you acknowledged Jean Luc as he is an outstanding employee and I don't know what we would do without him.l We are so thankful that you enjoyed the Historical Reliance Building. It truly a charm. It is very important to us that we make you and your family feel welcome. Hopefully, we were able to create an one of a kind experience that will stay with you forever. We look forward to your next visit, so we can shower you with another great experience.