“Great Hotel!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Indiana
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

I cannot begin to praise the Hotel Burnham enough. The staff went out of their way to make my friend and I feel totally comfortable. The wine reception is an added bonus as well as the coffee in the morning. And the wine served was a very nice wine, not the crap out of a box! Later in the evening, when returning from dinner, I asked if there was a liquor store nearby to purchase wine. They offered me a bottle of the wine that was served at the reception earlier that evening. Then when I got to my room there was a smaller bottle of red wine and a Godiva chocolate bar. What more could you ask for? I have stayed in three of the Kimpton hotels in Chicago and have no complaints about any of them! I won't even start on the architectural signifigance of the building, you just have to see it!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank kmh1224

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Chicagoland, IL, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

I booked through Hotwire and got a great rate. Our reservation was ready for room 402, with a beautiful view of the old Marshall Field's clock at the corner of Washington and State. The room was beautifully decorated in rich blues and golds, with Aveda bath products, thick towels, and wonderfully comfortable pillow-top beds. Some Americans might consider the room small by US standards, but it is fitting for a historic and more European-sized hotel.

The Atwood Cafe on the main floor is absolutely delicious. The antique wrought iron elevator and the mosaic floor in the lobby are lovely. Walking distance to all State Street shopping and Symphony Center. The front desk staff and doormen were polite and smiling. A great experience!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank WanderlustForMe
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Burnham while attending Artropolis, an art event held at the Merchandise Mart. What a beautiful hotel. They renovated a Chicago landmark that was originally an office building built in the late 1800's. It was so unique and they kept all of the marble, ironwork and wood so the effect was stunning.

The hotel is located right in the loop--across from the Marshall Field's building (now Macy's) so shopping is wonderful. If you're attending the theater, this is also the perfect hotel.

The staff was also a highlight of this hotel. So welcoming and friendly. When I checked in they were holding their complimentary wine reception and they made sure I had a glass of wine while I registered. We mentioned casually that we were going to Artropolis and they gave us two free passes. They were incredibly kind throughout our stay.

Because of the hotel's size and the fact that it doesn't have a pool, it probably isn't the best for young children. But for adults who love a city experience, it can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjohnson57
TeamBurnhamChicago, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
Dear sjohnson

Thanks so much for your kind words the whole team was thrilled. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and our service, The Merchandise mart has such an amazing event on over the weekend you stayed , we were just pleased you choose to stay with us

TeamBurnham
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Burnham for a conference I was attending at the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel is in a great location at the corner of State and Washington in the hear of the Loop. Kimpton has renovated the old Reliance building and the work they have done is stunning.

I arrived at about noon and my room was not yet ready. They took my cell phone number and gave me a call when my room was done (about 2 pm). In the meantime, I took a walk and had lunch.

The room I had was on the 10th Floor and had a queen bed. The bed was very comfortable and I found the room easy to work in. The bathroom was the perfect size for a solo traveler and being a member of the InTouch program made internet usage free and provided me with a $10 minibar credit.

Both mornings of my stay I had breakfast in the Atwood restaurant in the lobby. While I only had the continental breakfast (orange juice, coffee or tea, toast or pastry), it was served quickly and with a smile.

If I had to pick something that was lacking at the hotel, it would be the workout room. Located on the 3rd floor, it was small and had only 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, 1 stationary bike and some limited weights. I used the gym both days, but would have loved to have had a little more variety.

Overall, this was a wonderful hotel for business and I would not hesitate to stay there again for either business or pleasure. Once again, Kimpton service exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank dctravel
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

I've stayed at Hotel Burnham about 10 times in the last 2 years for business travel. Their outstanding service keeps me coming back. Every staff member at the hotel is geniune, pleasant, and went above and beyond to be helpful. An example was when the doorman asked me if I didn't bring my coat to Chicago because I was expecting warmer temps - when I responded that I forgot it in my car (which was parked by the valet), he responded that he would have the valet go and get it for me - 10 mintues later the front desk called and said they would bring it up. Just one small example of the "above and beyond" service of the Burnham.

Beds are very comfortable, rooms are quiet, and nice Aveda products in the bathroom. A walk across the street to the historic Macy's is very convenient.

My only small complaint (and very minor) is that the exercise room is fairly limited in equipment (one elliptical, 2 treadmills, a bike, and weights). Sometimes all the cardio machines are in use, which could result in a wait.

I highly recommend Hotel Burnham and will continue to stay here for business.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BusyMom042
Eastern ND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

Arrival: Arrived late evening and was welcomed warmly by the front desk staff.
Filled in on hotel amenities and given coupons for free continental breakfast at the Atwood Cafe.
The lobby was on the small size, as is the cafe. However, it was clean and well appointed.
Signs indicated that the fitness center was on the 3rd floor (did not check it out) and ice machines on the 2nd and 6th floors (also did not use).

Room: Got to our room (#801) and found it clean and well appointed, we had a nice view of State Street which was fun for people watching.
Wi-Fi was strong in our room and free if you signed up for emails from Kimpton Hotels chain.
The (king sized) bed was very comfortable and clean. The mini-fridge was well stocked with goodies and even had some free items (tooth brush and tooth paste, etc.) available.
Bathroom was clean and pleasant. Water temp. and pressure were fine.
Our room was cleaned very well daily with maid service respecting the sign on the doorknob when we slept in; every staff member we encountered was cheerful and helpful.

Other: The location of this hotel is AWESOME, a block from the Red Line and 1/2 block from several bus lines we rarely waited for any transportation whether we went all the way down to the Museum of Science or just up to the Hancock Building.
The Atwood Cafe was excellent (try the french toast!), even the free continental breakfast was very good.

Only two complaints -
1) The hotel does show its age on occasion, including loose plug-ins in the room, I was a little worried about plugging my laptop in, but nothing bad happened.
2) The Cafe and Bar close down pretty early, though this is not unusual in the Loop. You need to head north over the river for late night food or drinks (esp. on weekdays).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Mamaroneck, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Just got back from a really pleasant weekend in Chicago. I am from New York City and have never been to Chicago. There is lots to do (too much for one weekned) and it is a beautiful place full of nice people! I chose the Hotel Burnham based on trip advisor reviews and I liked that it was a historical building. The place is really beautiful. I loved our rooms. They may be a little small but I have never had a very huge hotel in the middle of a city before. The beds were really comfy and the ceilings were high. The room felt really cosy and elegant. Also at night you didnt hear any kind of street noise. Really awesome considering we were on what is considered a busy street!
This hotel is in "the loop." Like I said I have never been to Chicago so I had no idea what all these neighborhoods meant. What was the difference between magnificent mile and the loop? or lincoln park? well... the loop is the business center/ theater center. it is also right next to Millenium park which is a nice place to walk around. chicago isnt that large so you can walk around to just about any area and the subway is really easy to navigate so that is a big plus. There was plenty of "regular" shopping such as H&M, oldnavy, walgreens, macys (marshall fields), gap, ny and co, and more. If you want highend shopping you go to magnificent mile.
The staff was so friendly and welcoming. Reginald greeted us and after we checked in gave us the tour of the room! The staff seems small (which is a great bonus to being in a boutique hotel) because they all knew who we were and we knew them. They were all really helpful with recommending places to eat, calling for reservations, and giving directions on where to go. When my moms wallet was lost they looked up phone numbers of the taxi companies so I could call and see if it was found.
The hotel has a small gym but it was up to date and never crowded. The restuarant Atwood cafe had very busy lunch and dinners filled with locals. We only ate a breakfast there. It was good and really pretty inside.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family