“OUTSTANDIND SERVICE (AND LOCATION)”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“OUTSTANDIND SERVICE (AND LOCATION)”
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Disclosure: I am a Chicago native. My friend from college was visiting, and I wanted to find him a hotel with (a) excellent service, (b) outstanding location, and (c) something historical. Because I am a Chicago native, however, my review (perhaps paradoxically) will not be as in-depth.

I love the feel of this hotel; it is the most unique hotel I stayed in regarding two respects for ME. One, it feels very historical, which I love. Two, the service is something I have not experienced in other hotels. However the system works, the staff seems to always be on top of things. We requested a cot so I could stay with my friend, and without a problem the staff provided it. I also liked the free newspapers in the morning (including Sunday's NY Times). As to the room, it was just perfect. High quality, pleasant, comfortable, and cozy.

We did not use the hotel's restaurant, however, and we had breakfast and lunch and dinner in the surrounding area. You have many and varied options. I have heard great things about the restaurant, but we did not go because of convenience.

If you are visiting the city, you will love the location. You are in the center of all the action. I have myriad recommendations of what to do, but I will defer to the excellent staff and your own planning. I honestly do not want to bias your trip too much. Chicago has a tremendous amount to offer, and I know you will enjoy your time!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The service at this hotel was top notch. The employees goal was to make us happy and they did. It's a great location at the corner of Washington and State Streets - easy walking distance to Millenium Park, the Magnificent Mile, and other great shopping.
The ambiance is very inviting and the hotel extremely quiant. Our fifth floor room looked onto State Street, so the huge Old Navy was a slight eyesore, but the sun streaming in was lovely. Yes the rooms are small, but all amenities (including Aveda toiletries) were provided. The Atwood Cafe was a great brunch place. I highly recommend the biscuits and gravy - it was yummy. Free Starbucks coffee every morning and wine from 5-6pm - all the little things add up to make you feel like a star at this hotel.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 May 2010

This was our second stay at the Burnham. We love the historical character of the building. The room was perfect, very clean, with a comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and the front desk was very helpful with transportation and dining ideas. We will definitely stay here on our next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerJoe
Indiana
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I cannot begin to praise the Hotel Burnham enough. The staff went out of their way to make my friend and I feel totally comfortable. The wine reception is an added bonus as well as the coffee in the morning. And the wine served was a very nice wine, not the crap out of a box! Later in the evening, when returning from dinner, I asked if there was a liquor store nearby to purchase wine. They offered me a bottle of the wine that was served at the reception earlier that evening. Then when I got to my room there was a smaller bottle of red wine and a Godiva chocolate bar. What more could you ask for? I have stayed in three of the Kimpton hotels in Chicago and have no complaints about any of them! I won't even start on the architectural signifigance of the building, you just have to see it!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank kmh1224
Chicagoland, IL, USA
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I booked through Hotwire and got a great rate. Our reservation was ready for room 402, with a beautiful view of the old Marshall Field's clock at the corner of Washington and State. The room was beautifully decorated in rich blues and golds, with Aveda bath products, thick towels, and wonderfully comfortable pillow-top beds. Some Americans might consider the room small by US standards, but it is fitting for a historic and more European-sized hotel.

The Atwood Cafe on the main floor is absolutely delicious. The antique wrought iron elevator and the mosaic floor in the lobby are lovely. Walking distance to all State Street shopping and Symphony Center. The front desk staff and doormen were polite and smiling. A great experience!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank WanderlustForMe
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Burnham while attending Artropolis, an art event held at the Merchandise Mart. What a beautiful hotel. They renovated a Chicago landmark that was originally an office building built in the late 1800's. It was so unique and they kept all of the marble, ironwork and wood so the effect was stunning.

The hotel is located right in the loop--across from the Marshall Field's building (now Macy's) so shopping is wonderful. If you're attending the theater, this is also the perfect hotel.

The staff was also a highlight of this hotel. So welcoming and friendly. When I checked in they were holding their complimentary wine reception and they made sure I had a glass of wine while I registered. We mentioned casually that we were going to Artropolis and they gave us two free passes. They were incredibly kind throughout our stay.

Because of the hotel's size and the fact that it doesn't have a pool, it probably isn't the best for young children. But for adults who love a city experience, it can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjohnson57
TeamBurnhamChicago, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
Dear sjohnson

Thanks so much for your kind words the whole team was thrilled. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and our service, The Merchandise mart has such an amazing event on over the weekend you stayed , we were just pleased you choose to stay with us

TeamBurnham
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Burnham for a conference I was attending at the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel is in a great location at the corner of State and Washington in the hear of the Loop. Kimpton has renovated the old Reliance building and the work they have done is stunning.

I arrived at about noon and my room was not yet ready. They took my cell phone number and gave me a call when my room was done (about 2 pm). In the meantime, I took a walk and had lunch.

The room I had was on the 10th Floor and had a queen bed. The bed was very comfortable and I found the room easy to work in. The bathroom was the perfect size for a solo traveler and being a member of the InTouch program made internet usage free and provided me with a $10 minibar credit.

Both mornings of my stay I had breakfast in the Atwood restaurant in the lobby. While I only had the continental breakfast (orange juice, coffee or tea, toast or pastry), it was served quickly and with a smile.

If I had to pick something that was lacking at the hotel, it would be the workout room. Located on the 3rd floor, it was small and had only 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, 1 stationary bike and some limited weights. I used the gym both days, but would have loved to have had a little more variety.

Overall, this was a wonderful hotel for business and I would not hesitate to stay there again for either business or pleasure. Once again, Kimpton service exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business