“Gem”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Clemson, South Carolina
“Gem”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I love this boutique hotel. My room was really comfortable and clean. I was on the 6th floor and could hear some traffic, but overall it was really quiet. I couldn't hear other guests at all. I echo other reviewers when I say spending the extra money for a river view is well worth it. Grab a hot toddy from the lobby (free between 5 & 6) then climb in to your window seat (giant and more like a bed than a seat) and enjoy the river and Chicago architecture. I also liked being in the loop near State street and tons of public transportation. Also, easy to walk down Michigan Avenue north to shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Splurge for the river view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear mariacantina -

You described a perfect Chicago evening there with the hot toddy, window seat, river view combination! We're glad the location worked nicely for your trip. Come see us again in the summer and you can do it all over again, but this time with Sangria!

Cheers,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Chicago and loved it. The Kimpton hotel properties around the U.S. are wonderful and we seek them out specifically. This was our second stay at the Chicago Monaco. Our River View King room on the 14th floor was spotless and beautiful. It was a little on the small side but very comfortable. The décor’ is “Kimpton Cool” and the bed was dreamy. We enjoyed sitting in the window box and looking out at the river, the city and the snow. The location of the hotel is excellent. It’s just around the corner from Michigan Ave and State Street and is a short 2 blocks from the Orange line, which has a direct route from and to Midway Airport. There is great shopping, bars and restaurants within steps from this property. As always, the entire Kimpton staff we encountered was stellar. Nice stay. Highly recommend.

P.S. Consider the deep dish at Lou Malnati’s. It’s divine… ☺

Room Tip: River view was nice…
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TraceyPhoenix
Dear TraceyPhoenix -

Thanks for adding us to your Kimpton repertoire, we do our best to offer the clean, comfy and friendly accommodations that Kimpton is known for. We're happy you enjoyed the location & window seats, they definitely can't be beat when it comes to cozy places to watch the snow fall.
Hope to see you again soon!

Boston, MA
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco for one night in November.. Very consistent with the Kimpton brand. The room was very clean and comfortable, staff were pleasant and helpful. Great downtown location. The onsite restaurant was very good as well. We didn't get the chance to experience the complimentary happy hour but it just gives us a reason to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear kateb71 -

Thanks for your great review of the Monaco, we're glad that your room was clean & comfy, and the staff took good care of you.
You must come back soon and join us for Wine Hour, its the best hour of the day!

Cheers,
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Just returned from a long weekend trip to Chicago to celebrate my daughter's 18th Birthday. I surprised her with a surprise girls weekend for just the two of us. This was my first time staying at the Monaco as well as my first stay with a Kimpton Hotel. I must say I am impressed with the brand and will likely seek out Kimpton hotels for future stays.

I reserved a double queen river view room. We arrived around 10pm (late due to delays in Cleveland). The front desk staff were very friendly. They said happy birthday to my daughter and let me know that we have complimentary wifi since we are Kimpton In touch members. It just takes a few minutes to become a member and it's free, so I highly recommend everyone do that before you go. You are also able to complete room preferences as well. Additionally, I recommend everyone "like" the Kimpton Hotels facebook page. You will also find out about some great little incentives by liking them. I found out that sometimes, Kimpton has a "secret" word. If you reveal this secret word at check in - you get something special. For me it was a bottle of wine and a fruit basket (both were great). Now, back to our stay :)

We were checked in quickly and on our way to our room which was on the 14th floor. We enter the room and there is a gift bag and a card for my daughter. The gift bag is filled with a Chicago coffee cup and some candy goodies. The card is a cute little birthday card signed by the employees. I thought this was really thoughtful. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a goldfish (as I know she would have thought that was so cool - but she didn't know about them anyway so no harm no foul). I then pointed out the window seats to her and she LOVED them! Actually, she loved everything about our room (including the animal print robes). So, if you are going with teenagers or young adult (actually, I am certain small children would LOVE those window seats as well) you can't really go wrong. Did I mention our view? Well, it was spectacular!! I wish I would have had time to sit in the window seat and just read and enjoy the view more! The room was very clean (and I inspect everything). The bathroom was larger than I expected (based on the online pics). I was especially concerned about there being a lack of counter space, but found it to be ample. There was more than enough room for a curling iron, hair dryer and waver, as well as make up bags, hair spray, make up remover.....etc etc. Ladies, if you are contemplating bringing your hair dryer or not, I would recommend you bring. Especially if you are picky about them, as I am. The shampoos and soaps are C.O. Bigelow and I loved them. I personally have never tried them, but I buy their shaving cream for my husband and it's the only one that he will use. I think I might start buying them going forward for myself. The down pillows that I request in my profile for the kimpton in touch members were on both beds. Oh, and the beds......oh so comfortable! There is a mini refrigerator with soda and some wine, bottled water, beer etc. The only complaint I have and it's really not a complaint....more like an observation.....is that some areas need a little bit of love. There were a few cracked tiles in our bathroom that had missing pieces that could be replaced and some skuffs, etc along the walls as you are walking to your room. I am very picky about carpeting and found it to be very clean in our room, as well as the bathroom floors. Housekeeping was great. We put the do not disturb sign on our room and were not disturbed. When we left for the afternoon (one day after 1pm) our room was still serviced. The housekeeping staff even left a birthday cake (made of towels and wash cloths) one day for my daughter.

We did order some food from the restaurant to take back up to our room. It was about 10:30 and they closed at 11. I didn't want to dine in and hold anyone up and asked if we could just order to go. They were very accommodating. We ordered the pulled pork sliders, a chicken flat bread pizza, some garlic fries and mussels for my daughter. They offered to carry it up to our room for us, but my daughter said she could carry it. The food was very good to meh. I LOVED the pulled pork sliders and would highly recommend. My daughter loves mussels (eww) and I tried one and determined again that they are just not for me. However, she loved them and it was a nice size portion. The chicken flatbread was really the only thing that fell short. It was just a little on the bland side. The staff inside the restaurant that we came in contact with were all very pleasant and I am certain you would have nothing less than excellent service while dining in the restaurant. On another note, one night we also had a sweet tooth and saw that they have chocolate chip cookies on their room service menu. We are slightly chocolate chip cookie snobs lol and so my daughter called down to inquire about the chocolate chip cookies. The person she spoke to made sure our cookies were made fresh for us (now I don't know if that is typical or if they bake them ahead of time). However, our cookies arrived to our room hot and they were good! Nothing better than warm chocolate chip cookies! It's little things like these that set this hotel brand apart from others. Their wine hour is great too. I only enjoyed it the night we were leaving, however it was really nice. There were red and white wine offerings and also a choice of Hot Toddy or warm cider. Being that it was 10 degrees outside, I was completely down with the Hot Toddy which was exactly what I needed to get warm and cozy. They were also serving some flatbread pizza at the time as well. The gentleman who was serving the drinks was extremely friendly and polite! On our last day there, our flight didn't leave until 9pm so they held our luggage for us. It was no problem for them to hold it and no issues getting it back! The doorman was very helpful to wave down a cab for you anytime you should need one and always there to greet you whenever you are coming or going and to answer any questions you might have. If you want to buy a few refreshments for your room, there is a 7-11 a 2 minute walk away. We had to visit as I do not drink coffee, but love my diet Dr. Pepper in the morning! The location of the hotel was great. About a $30 cab ride from Midway airport. No more than like 10-15 dollar cab ride to pretty much anywhere. We walked to Michigan Avenue easily. There is also a lowes theater nearby and we saw a late movie one night. The water tower, Hancock building, Navy Pier and museums are around an $8 cab ride (If I remember correctly). We were very happy with the location.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay at Hotel Monaco and look forward to staying with a Kimpton hotel in the near future. Oh, and if anyone from Kimpton is reading this......Cleveland Ohio could use your hotel brand!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 1415 (only 14 floors) and had a spectacular view from our room!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jamey_mj
HI jamey_mj!

Thank you so much for your great review of the Monaco Chicago.
You get an A+ for Kimpton bonuses! From signing up for InTouch, to learning the 'secret password' from Facebook, you gave us so many ways to help make your stay special, and I'm happy we were able to do so.
Our River view queen/queen rooms do have a great location & view, and the window seats certainly do make a nice place to hang out in our famous Kimpton robes.
Thank you for the heads up on the bathroom issues, we can certainly give them a little TLC. Also, make sure you let us know when you book, or at check-in, that you would like a goldfish and we'll have one up immediately...they love the company!
We're glad that your experiences with In-room dining, SouthWater Kitchen, and our wine hour were all positive as well.
Hopefully you'll come see us again to celebrate your daughter's 19th?! We'd certainly love to host you.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed here for a weekend getaway to Chicago. An amazing property. The staff went above and beyond anything we have ever experienced at a hotel to help us celebrate our engagement. The room was clean, modern and the perfect space for our needs. Our room had a beautiful view of the river and downtown Chicago. The pet goldfish to greet us in the room was a plus too!
The restaurant in the hotel was great, awesome innovative drinks. I had room service breakfast one morning. It come up quickly and was delicious. I loved our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in chicago! The price was very reasonable for the accommodations as well.
(Note: We choose to self park at a nearby self park garage for $44/day instead of using valet at $56)

Room Tip: River view is a must!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahlong86
Dear ahlong86 -

First off, congratulations again on your recent engagement, we're honored that you allowed us to be part of such a special celebration!
The river views are pretty fantastic, and our Guppy Love program is pretty great if you like some company in your room.
SouthWater Kitchen has some great cocktails, and we're looking forward to the new menu rolling out to see what Chef Roger has come up with to keep our bellies full.

Perhaps a honeymoon in Chicago is in order? No matter when you plan to come back, make sure to reach out to us so we can take care of all the details of your stay!

Best Wishes,
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The hotel was terrific in every way, arrived weary from traveling through snow storms. Front desk was there was a smile and efficient. Offered a welcome glass of wine and upstairs to a beautiful room - Great view. This hotel is in a wonderful location, is nicely decorated, spotlessly clean and staff is friendly and helpful. Would recommend in a heartbeat! I will be back Hotel Monaco (perhaps in the spring when you can walk around!). Thank you for a much needed comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dajuma39
Hi dajuma39 -

Thanks for joining us after your company party, and even though you didn't get to spend a lot of time exploring with us, we're glad your room was clean and our staff was helpful.
We look forward to seeing you in the spring when you can enjoy our location along the river and near a ton of great things to do in Chicago!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Located in the heart of downtown Chicago just south of the river and just off of Michigan Avenue, this gem of a hotel is an oasis in a city cluttered with high end sparkling high rise hotel. The staff was gracious and efficient. The room was ready even though I had checked in early on a Friday afternoon. The room was plenty big with a spacious bathroom and well appointed room. While the view outside my window was less than thrilling, the room more than made up for it. The afternoon wine reception did not disappoint. Fairly decent wine with a few snacks to keep you filled up until diner time. THe check out went just as smoothly and swiftly as the check in. GOod rates most of the time and within walking distance of most of Chicago's major attractions.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank t-bonetraveller
Dear t-bonetraveller,

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room, and that your check-in and check-out was efficient. Wine hour is my favorite time of day here at the Monaco, and we're happy to hear you liked it too.

Look forward to seeing you again soon!