“Great Hotel, Great Staff!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #14 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here in October and have nothing bad to say. Hotel is centrally located and walkable to all major attractions. Two blocks to multiple EL lines, Grant Park, the Architecture Tours, Michigan Ave and other top tourist spots. The staff was extremely helpful with directions and suggestions. We checked in at 9am after an extremely early flight and they were able to get us in a room immediately to freshen up. Starbucks coffee is served in the lobby free of charge each morning along with iced water. Free one hour happy hour of wine in the lobby accompanied with live music. We really enjoyed this. The room was clean and stylish. Nice window seat where we drank our morning office and looked out to the water. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was spacious. Gym was nice and had free bottles of water. Would definitely stay here again the next time we come to Chicago. Also - check for deals and sign up for their frequent stay program - you get free wifi and a credit to use at the bar!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoveToTravel0883
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear LoveToTravel0883 -

We're glad your stay was started off right with an easy early check in and some coffee in the lobby. It's great to hear that your room accommodations were comfortable and that you got to enjoy our live music at wine hour courtesy of some local Chicago musicians. Our fitness facilities are recently upgraded, and we're happy you got the chance to take advantage of them during your stay. Thank you again for your positive feedback and we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,445)

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco with some friends on NYE. Our room was perfect, clean, stylish, roomy and the most comfortable bed I've ever stayed in. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and made sure everything went smoothly. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. It is also a great location and within walking distance to many sites, bars and restaurants. I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer B

Dear Jennifer B -

So glad that you chose us to help you ring in the new year. There's no better wake up on New Year's Day than in a comfy bed! We're so delighted that the staff was friendly and went out of their way to make sure your stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you again in 2014!

Cheers,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here for a 3-day business trip at the end of October 2013. I don't know if it was because I had a corporate rate or not, but the room I was booked into had a window that faced the side of a parking lot. In an alley way. And the lot next door was under construction. There was a small note from the hotel management on my dresser alluding to this fact but it would have been better to know this ahead of time, I would have agreed to pay more to get a better room. As it was, the room seemed completely claustrophobic because I didn't want to open the curtains due to the view. Plus, my room was near the elevators so I could hear everyone coming and going until late into the night.

And then my t.v. turned itself on around 3:30a.m., which was more than a bit creepy. Fortunately it didn't happen again after that one time. And finally, at 5a.m. I started hearing employees walking down the hallway and loudly opening and closing a door which must have led to an employee lounge near my room. So all in all I had a terrible night's sleep. Fortunately, I was able to switch rooms for the next two nights. After explaining my horrible night's sleep, they put me into a room on the 6th floor overlooking the river and as other reviewers had said, it was a major bonus to have the view -- definitely request one or you might get stuck looking into the alley way like I did.

The property overall seems a bit tired and not what I was expecting of a Hotel Monaco. It appears they purchased the property from some other hotel chain and tried to put the irreverent Hotal Monaco "stamp" on it which worked some of the time but not in all cases. For example, there was no coffee maker in the room so I had to go down to the lobby every morning to get some - not ideal.

I ate dinner in the restaurant two of the three nights and while the atmosphere was definitely on the drab and forlorn side (again, not what I'd expect of a Hotel Monaco) the food was quite good...the bread pudding was absolutely addictive and I ordered it both nights!

So for location, as someone noted, it's hard to beat. But the ambiance is a bit tired so definitely request a room with a view.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river/get on the front side of the hotel, avoid side rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 61Kristin

Dear 61Kristin -

We're sorry that your original room location was not ideal for your stay, and we are glad that you let us know so that we could get you relocated to another room with a better river exposure. We also apologize for the random occurrence with the TV turning itself on. I assure you, that is not a common one, and we are sure that it must have been disconcerting (maybe even a little spooky!)
While we do offer our main morning coffee service in the lobby, coffee makers are always available for your guest room, so be sure to let us know when booking or upon check-in so you won't have to come down on your next stay!
We appreciate your feedback for the restaurant, and must agree...that bread pudding IS addictive!
We hope to host you again in the future and have the opportunity to provide you with an ideal stay from start to finish.

Thank you for review & feedback!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel Monaco while visiting Chicago for a concert. The location was excellent, with close proximity to the Chicago Institute of Art and lots of great restaurants and shopping. The room was adorable and had a great little window seat for watching the world go by. Very comfortable and clean, not to mention a great value. We would definitely stay here again next time we visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DorothyParkerBunny -

Thanks for staying with us on your recent trip to Chicago, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. People watching in the window seats is a great way to enjoy Chicago, as is the wonderful Art Institute.
We're looking forward to seeing you on your next stay in the Windy City!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

beautiful rooms and a great location for my regular biz trips, across the street from my office.I f anyone from corporate is reading this go visit the bar and restaurant. They are the most uninviting of any hotel I have ever been to. The lighting is like a hospital ward--bright, bright white light. The bar furniture is cheap/wobbly and the feeling is cold and not conducive to having a nice drink. I meet up with and then leave with colleagues, girlfriends and my beau--we go to McCormick and schmicks a block away for some type of "atmosphere". I am a big Kimpton fan--the Palomar and Burnham have such great bars. This hotel--and the clientele--deserve someone to do some inexpensive improvements and the hotel would be a perfect spot. The other drawback is the screech of the L trains early morning (on the Wabash street side).

Room Tip: The rooms on the wabash side heat the nearby l train screeching early... the rooms are very small si...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear wineaux47 -

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay at the Monaco. We're glad to hear that as far as the hotel rooms & staff go, the accommodations suit you and and are convenient for your office location!
We appreciate the feedback about SouthWater Kitchen, and will be sure to pass it on to the team there so they can make sure that all the furniture is in good condition and that we are offering our guests a great Kimpton experience.
We look forward to your upcoming visits to the hotel, and don't forget to let us know about the 'L' train issues that you've had in the past, we will be happy to get you a room located as far away as possible to make sure you get a great nights sleep.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The location for this amazing little hotel couldn't be better! It is within walking distance to al the must-see areas of Chicago. The staff is wonderful and can direct you to some wonderful pizza! A room with a view is well worth the splurge, and the window seats are amazing! Curl up and people watch, enjoy the river, enjoy a book...
The nightly wine tastings are fun, and the ability to have a goldfish for the duration of your stay is just plain fun! Have also stayed at a Kimpton property in San Francisco (The Argonaut) and it was equally fabulous.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room/suite with a window seat - away from the elevator
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kimberly W

Dear Kimberly W -

Thanks for your great review! Our location does give you a great opportunity to explore and enjoy this wonderful city, and we're happy you took advantage of the Guppy Love program while you were here.Our staff certainly knows their way around the Chicago pizza joints, and I'm happy they were able to give you a good recommendation.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I love this boutique hotel. My room was really comfortable and clean. I was on the 6th floor and could hear some traffic, but overall it was really quiet. I couldn't hear other guests at all. I echo other reviewers when I say spending the extra money for a river view is well worth it. Grab a hot toddy from the lobby (free between 5 & 6) then climb in to your window seat (giant and more like a bed than a seat) and enjoy the river and Chicago architecture. I also liked being in the loop near State street and tons of public transportation. Also, easy to walk down Michigan Avenue north to shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Splurge for the river view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear mariacantina -

You described a perfect Chicago evening there with the hot toddy, window seat, river view combination! We're glad the location worked nicely for your trip. Come see us again in the summer and you can do it all over again, but this time with Sangria!

Cheers,