“Monaco great in Chicago Loop”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #16 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed being right in the heart of Chicago. We came to Chicago for the taping of 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' radio show, and loved our room and the 5-6 pm free wine happy hour for guests! Ask for a window seat room and a high floor with a river view - we loved it and the staff was wonderful! Lot's of choices in Chicago, and I've tried a few, but this one was a nice, cozy place in a great location! (Got a discount through TripAdvisor, which helped too)

Room Tip: River view, window seat, high floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear DaveBMinnesota,

Thanks for making us your home when you came in for 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me'. Hopefully, you enjoyed the show just as much as your stay. The river views and window seats are some of our best perks, and of course the wine hour doesn't hurt, we're glad you got to enjoy them all during your stay. We appreciate the great review, and look forward to having you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,457)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Everything was truly perfect. Great central location right off Michigan Ave. By Trump Tower. The staff is fabulous. They have a nice restaurant and bar. The rooms are VERY comfortable and the window seat is cute idea. My lone complaint is trivial...one must call for room service for morning coffee. Truly my only gripe.

Room Tip: Absolutely get a room facing Wacker, the river & trump tower.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hi DaBaronVH -

Thanks for the review, and we're happy to hear that you would recommend us. Our staff loves what they do, and we're glad that you were able to experience that as well as our location & window seats. While our room service team is happy to take a coffee order in the morning, we also have Keurig machines that we can send up to the room when you arrive. On your next stay, just let us know at check-in and you'll be all set!

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at Monacos in Portland and Philadelphia, both probably my favorites among many other outstanding Kimpton properties, so my expectations were high - and I was not disappointed.

Great staff, comfortable and stylish rooms, convenient location, and all the little special touches the Kimpton brand offers make stays at these hotels something to look forward to - even to attend a conference you don't much enjoy in a frigid city in the middle of an arctic freeze.

I love getting my morning NY Times, having the option for a glass of wine at 5, and the generally lively (the mood is best expressed in Spanish: alegre) feeling the hotel (staff, decor, etc.) evokes.

Located pretty much at the foot of Chicago's miracle mile and near all kinds of attractions (better enjoyed in a month other than january).

The restaurant has a nice atmosphere but the food doesn't live up to that of the Monaco in Philadelphia (which is especially memorable). But it's pretty good - and a necessary amenity when going outside is an uninviting option.

Highly recommended place to stay in downtown Chicago.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear profegringo,

We're glad you added Chicago to your list of Monaco visits...and hopefully to your favorites! It sounds like you had the unfortunate luck of being here for a conference during the lovely weather spell we had just recently, but I'm glad to hear you still enjoyed your stay. True, our location is much better when walking the city is a viable option, but between wine hour & SouthWater Kitchen, you used your indoor time well! Hopefully you get a chance to come visit us again soon, hopefully with a little warmer weather!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I travel a lot for business meetings throughout the country. We tend to have a lot of our meetings (20 or less people) at Kimpton properties and they are all wonderful. The Hotel Monaco in Chicago was no exception. The service was impeccable and the rooms were wonderful. I will continue to use Kimpton properties when they are available to me.

Room Tip: Room with a river view
1  Thank Kyle D

Kyle D,

We appreciate your loyalty and are glad to hear that the Monaco was able to provide you with another great Kimpton experience. We certainly look forward to being able to host you and your group in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Recently on a New Years trip to Chicago I stayed at the Monaco in downtown Chicago. The location and the services of this hotel are exceptional. Especially the staff member Erica Strombeck, who helped me out AFTER I was back home in Minnesota. I had forgotten to give my gift card when I was checking out. After making one phone call they looked into how to accomplish it and called me back to inform me they had put through the credit for the gift card after the fact and sure enough the next day it was on my charge statement. WOW! Now that is efficient customer service. I highly recommend this hotel on your next visit to Chicago. I am a loyal Kimpton member for sure after this experience.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of the river, great way to see the city at night especially!
1  Thank Sheila M

Dear Sheila M -

Thank you so much for your great review of the Monaco. We're so glad that the team was able to help you use your Kimpton gift card, we do our best to make all our guest experiences positive, even after you've departed the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I booked a five day four night stay in Chicago with our credit card points. We picked the Hotel Monaco because to be honest…I had heard about the hotel in a romance novel. No joke! Not this particular one mind you…but…anyway…I looked up the hotel website and instantly fell in love. It is a smaller hotel but the reviews raved about its staff, animal print robes and wine hour…etc so we decided to give it a try. Arriving…even our driver complimented the hotel especially because of its location. He was not wrong. We were on the ninth floor with a room overlooking the river. I cannot even express to you how much we loved the window seat. Even after days of sightseeing, my husband and I both had to admit that it was our favorite spot on our trip. :) The staff is in one word: perfect. The concierge was incredibly helpful and went out of his way to list local pizza restaurants that we would enjoy. A toothbrush and toothpaste were provided because I had forgotten to pack mine. He also checked our bags on our last day because our check out was about an hour before our scheduled transport to the airport. What a sweetie! The cleaning staff totally conforms to your schedule with ease. The doorman greets you with a smile even in freezing temperatures. Poor guy. ;) I have read reviews that state that the rooms with the river view are smaller. I can honestly tell you that this did not affect us one bit. The view is worth all. I also read a review that spoke of booking from a third party site and being treated differently. However, we didn't book from their site and we were treated wonderfully. Although, next time we will book from their site in order to book our same room--Rm 912 was awesome. I will tell you to be prepared to walk. We had planned various modes of transportation but because of the central location of the hotel we preferred walking to most of our planned attractions or restaurants. Chicago was wonderful but the Hotel Monaco was perfect. My husband and I will definitely be back…This time during the summer. If you're in town alone or with a loved one this would be my recommendation for lodging. Oh, and check out their Facebook page. It will give you a heads up on a secret word that you can give when you check in for a special surprise. If you join their rewards program (It's free) then you can also sign in for free Wi-Fi.
Side Note: We used Go Airport Express to and from O'Hare--We purchased round trip tickets at the airport and just had to call 24 hours before our departure to ensure pick up for our flight. They even emailed a copy of the confirmation. I was nervous about this because I had read of difficulties with them but we had no trouble.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a river view room
2  Thank Nevarena
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Nevarena -

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at the Monaco, and I must say you've intrigued us with this romance novel talk!?
our location is great for exploring the city, and we're impressed to hear that you braved the cold and did it all on foot. Our doormen are the best, and we're so glad that they were there to welcome you with a smile each time you entered.
You did get an awesome room, and we're happy you took advantage of it, and of the great perks of being an InTouch member and using the secret password.
There's another secret password in the summer, so make sure to keep an eye out and we'll see you again soon!

PS, the river views only get better as the days get longer!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here in October and have nothing bad to say. Hotel is centrally located and walkable to all major attractions. Two blocks to multiple EL lines, Grant Park, the Architecture Tours, Michigan Ave and other top tourist spots. The staff was extremely helpful with directions and suggestions. We checked in at 9am after an extremely early flight and they were able to get us in a room immediately to freshen up. Starbucks coffee is served in the lobby free of charge each morning along with iced water. Free one hour happy hour of wine in the lobby accompanied with live music. We really enjoyed this. The room was clean and stylish. Nice window seat where we drank our morning office and looked out to the water. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was spacious. Gym was nice and had free bottles of water. Would definitely stay here again the next time we come to Chicago. Also - check for deals and sign up for their frequent stay program - you get free wifi and a credit to use at the bar!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoveToTravel0883

Dear LoveToTravel0883 -

We're glad your stay was started off right with an easy early check in and some coffee in the lobby. It's great to hear that your room accommodations were comfortable and that you got to enjoy our live music at wine hour courtesy of some local Chicago musicians. Our fitness facilities are recently upgraded, and we're happy you got the chance to take advantage of them during your stay. Thank you again for your positive feedback and we look forward to hosting you again soon!