“Quiet, hotel with outstanding service and location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #20 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Louis
“Quiet, hotel with outstanding service and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel Monaco for a weekend getaway. It was a wonderful hotel with great service and a great location. We took advantage of an off season price, making this a good value, throw in the complimentary wine happy hour and free wifi and it's a great deal! Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Bathroom is a little tight but it's a boutique hotel. My son has moved up to Chicago and I plan to visit him often. Hope to make Hotel Monaco, my go to hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear dmwtraveller -

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your stay at the Monaco. We're glad you got a chance to snag a great rate and that you took advantage of wine hour. We look forward to seeing you more often when you come to visit!

Marco Scherer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location via a company sponsored training. The location is great!! Downtown, where everything is within walking distance, so convenient. The room was clean, staff was very attentive
and hospitable. Complimentary coffee & tea was available each morning as was complimentary wine at the end of the day, which was greatly appreciated. I loved the robes provided and the umbrella, as it rained two days in a row. My stay was great! The only thing that I can complain about was the construction happening next door. I was not as lucky as my co-worker to get a view of the river, instead I had a view of the construction site. There was notification of the construction going on from 8-5, but on most days the construction started at 6'ish. I know they don't have much control of that. Overall my stay was fabulous! I'd certainly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Jnjiemtz -

We are so glad to hear that you made the most of your stay at the Monaco. From the robes, to the coffee & tea, even wine hour, you got it all! We're excited to get a new neighbor, but so sorry that you were disturbed by the construction next door. On your next visit, let us know when you're checking in that you'd love a view on Wabash or of the River and we'll do everything we can to accommodate it! Hope to see you soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

The Hotel Monaco is a solid choice in downtown Chicago whether you are visiting for business or for pleasure. It's an easy walk to anywhere in the Loop and also to the shopping on North Michigan Ave. The hotel has window seats with lovely views of the river, and the best part is that the view (at least from my room) excluded that new Trump monstrosity across the way. Instead I got to admire the classic Chicago structures of Marina City (the corn cob-looking buildings) and the Mies van der Rohe-designed IBM building next door.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erin_Carrying_On
Dear Erin_Carrying_On -

Thanks for your great review of the Monaco, and for giving a shout out to some of our favorite (and maybe not favorite) architecture you can see from our River View rooms. Definitely one of the perks of our location, and we're glad you were able to take advantage of it. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Chicago!

pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in early March. The location in the loop and across the river from the Magnificent Mile made it a great place to experience what Chicago has to offer. The room was very tastefully decorated. The wine hour was lovely and the hostess was very nice to chat with. The bar that is attached is also very nice. We stopped for a quick drink and appetizer. The service was good and the drinks even better. We always got a cab fast in front of the hotel.

Only complaint I would have is to train staff to not air their grievances to guests. I called the day before I checked in to see if I would receive an early check in that was offered through the Kimpton rewards program. The gentleman who answered the call literally sighed after I asked my question and proceeded for two minutes to tell me why the early check in was not honored and it shouldn't be offered. I couldn't believe I sat through this conversation to be honest. I was willing to pay to get in early after riding the train to the city all night, I just needed to know if it was available. Since we took it as we could not get early check in, we stopped to drop our bags after our arrival and found out they where able to get us in a room early! The service at this point made up for the conversation the day before.

We would stay here again, just wish the gentleman who answered the phone would be more professional in the future.

Room Tip: Elevators can be slow.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pghpgh20
Dear pghpgh20 -

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at the Monaco. We're glad you were able to enjoy not only the room, but also our restaurant and hosted wine reception. Please allow me to apologize most sincerely for the unfortunate interaction you had on the phone with a member of our team. I hope you were able to see while you were here that conversations like that are not in the Kimpton spirit, and should not be occurring. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival request regardless, and that you were able to get your stay started off on a good note. We will certainly address your feedback with the entire team to remind them how important it is to show the Kimpton love in all guest interactions.
We look forward to your next visit to Chicago, and hope to see you again at the Monaco!

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed for a weekend getaway with our children. The hotel staff were all wonderful and professional. My kids loved the goldfish that was brought to our room for the weekend. They also loved the cozy window seats in the room. The only downside to my husband and I was that we both felt that the bed mattress was a bit uncomfortable. Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear KCStephJ -

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your recent visit to the Monaco. We're so glad that you were able to enjoy the window seats and that the kids had a fish friend during your stay. We look forward to seeing you on your next weekend getaway!

Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

A group of friends and we made this a base for a fun night of St. Patrick's Day festivities. I've stayed at several downtown hotels and this one now leads the pack. It has a bit of a swanky feel but not over the top. Staff are attentive and friendly. Rooms are very uniquely decorated and inviting, some with amazing city & river views with window sill seating. The location is excellent, north side of the loop on the river and close to River North. Although we missed it, they have a complimentary wine reception every day as well as free bike rentals. Another bonus is the attached Sweetwater Tavern & Grille. It has a great vibe and where we enjoyed late night drinks as well as a delicious breakfast. The clincher was that we were able to get a great rate, one of the lowest of all the 4-5 star hotels in downtown. Stay here. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Some rooms have "window sill seating" with city and river views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear alv63 -

It sounds like you had a great time celebrating St. Patrick's Day here in Chicago, and we're glad you did it with us. We're happy to hear that the accommodations worked out well for you, you enjoyed the restaurant, and that the staff took great care of you. You'll have to come back again soon to catch the wine hour!

Woodbury, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The decoration of the room is really stylish. It's not just modern but with a nice touch of exotic flavor. I particularly like the huge bay window which you can sleep there for street (people) watching. The location is great and right in the heart of Chicago. The night I stayed not only had an evening wine tour but also accompanied with music and band. The bed is very comfy and the shower has great water pressure. The room is very clean and everything is in great condition. Compared to most of the other hotels, it has some unexpected touch of details. There is a Yoga mat for guest to practice Yoga. In their TV program there are free Yoga lessons you can follow. In the morning there are free coffees and tea. This is a great hotel that I recommend.

Room Tip: The street facing room may have more noise but compensated with great view of the city
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear NJmom_2kids -

We're happy to hear you were able to take part in some of the perks of the hotel, from the window seats, to the in-room yoga mats, to wine hour, it sounds like you made the most of your visit. We appreciate your thoughtful review, and look forward to getting the chance to enjoy the city with you again soon!