“A quieter experience in the heart of Chicago”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #19 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“A quieter experience in the heart of Chicago”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I've always stayed at the Hyatt when in Chicago, but my last time there was just too much--too many people, not enough fast service, etc. So I opted for the Hotel Monaco this time, and I was VERY pleased! First, I love dogs, so it was nice to see so many animals around. The decor was just beautiful, the staff very nice and helpful, and the room was clean and comfortable. Plus a wine happy hour every day doesn't hurt!

It was an easy walk to other places, easy to get a cab to McCormick, and the restaurant next door is top notch (Sweet Water). I will come back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Judy L -

Thanks so much for coming over to the Kimpton side and giving the Monaco a shot! I'm glad to hear that we were able to meet your needs and make you feel comfortable. Hopefully this is the beginning of a great relationship!

Marco Scherer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed 9 April 2014

stayed here for a conference. Room was nice and big. Liked the entryway into my room. Gave it a two room feel. Bathroom was off this foyer type area. Tall sink, great water pressure and plenty of hot water. The shower head was also well above my head. Always a plus. Room was very clean and decently stocked mini-bar. Not just food products but also some items you may have forgotten. Side note, some of those should have been free, I.e toothbrush, toothpaste, those are provided at other upscale hotels if a guest is forgetful. Conference room was comfortable and the lunches were your basic conference foods. Filling but just okay. Room 702 does face a parking garage and a wall so not much of a view on my side. Also, the wine tasting ends at 6 on the dot. the room was full and at 6 the wine was taken away. So dont linger if you want to get a glass.

When i am in town i may stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear mad155-

Thanks for your great review of your Monaco experience. We're glad to hear that the room was well appointed for you, and the conference amenities fit your needs. The mini bar does have some pretty great items in there, but just to note, we do have complimentary toothbrushes, toothpaste, and a whole crazy list of other freebies we offer at the front desk. The mini bar items are simply upgraded options in the event you wanted something to take home with you. Just ask us for a 'forgot it, we got it' list on your next visit to check out all our additional offerings.
We hope to see you again soon!

Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We've stayed at the Hotel Palomar, another Kimpton Hotel in Chicago, and loved it. Every staff member we met was very friendly, helpful and professional. When we left, we felt like we were leaving new friends, and we looked forward to seeing them again.

This was not the case at the Hotel Monaco. The only outstanding staff member was the day shift valet person (I wish I remembered his name). He was friendly and informative from our first greeting to our departure two days later. The front desk was aloof. Once we checked in, we passed the front desk numerous times and they didn't acknowledge, let alone greet us. The concierge was not very helpful. Upon departure we called the front desk and asked for our car from the valet. After quite some time in the lobby, it became obvious our car had not been called up. The only person that seemed concerned about this, was the aforementioned valet person.

I'm sure what makes such a dramatic difference in the level of service. It must either be hiring practices, training, management, or a combination. The Palomar is doing something very right and it makes us want to go gack. The Monaco is just another hotel in Chicago to us, and with the host of hotel options in Chicago, I doubt we will ever go back. We've stayed in Holiday Inn Expresses at half the price that had more enthusiastic, helpful and friendly staff than the Monaco. We've stayed at The Trump, Waldorf-Astoria and Ritz-Carlton for twice the price and the staff at the Palomar were every bit as good.

The highlight of the Monaco was the padded window ledges. Very nice to sit in, and a very unique feature for hotels in town. It may just be our perception, but the bathroom tile and shower seemed older than the rest of the room. The room was a nice size and it was clean. The beds were too hard for our tastes, and we like firm beds.

The location is fantastic. Everything we wanted to do seemed to be within a ten minute walk.

We wish we had better news, and as In Touch members we would like to love all Kimpton hotels.

Green Features: We appreciated the small can for recycling items. We used it for bottle, newspapers and magazines that would normally go in the trash.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MidwestFamily4
Dear MidwestFamily4 -

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at the Monaco was a disappointing one, that is certainly never the impression we hope to leave. As much of our guest feedback suggests, our staff is typically our greatest asset and what keeps people returning. I apologize if you felt that we weren't quite on our A-game during your visit. Please note that we have shared your experience with the team so that we can take the feedback and better ourselves from it.
We would love you to give the Monaco another chance in the future!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here March 22 - 26 on business, and we had such a great time! My office was hosting an event at their restaurant, South Water Kitchen, so we negotiated a deal on the rooms. Since we hosted an event here, the rooms were pretty affordable. My room had an amazing view of the city, and while my colleague's room did not, she got a nice couch to make up for it. I got new shampoos and soaps every single day, regardless of whether or not I was finished with the last one. Also, I asked for a lint roller from the front desk, and I got a huge, full-size one. Nice!

Onto the service. Before I even came to the hotel, I was contacted by someone in reservations to ask if we had any special occasion for being there. I mentioned that we were on business but a colleague of mine was retiring this year, and could they do something nice for her room. Upon check-in, my retiring colleague was met with a bottle of wine and some cake. Very nice! Also, I had asked if we could have some of our conference supplies shipped directly to the hotel since the conference storage fees were really excessive. They held on to our supplies for a few days prior to our arrival, no extra charge. Fantastic! Also, everyone I talked to at the front desk and at the wine hour (which was from 5 - 6PM daily) was really nice. They usually say "Welcome back!" or "Have a great day!" every time you come back or leave the hotel, which is sweet. Matthew at the front desk was our favorite. My colleagues and I had nice long chats with him about the city, places to go eat, life in general, etc. Nice guy.

We had a great time at the Hotel Monaco and will likely be back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view, because it's lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lacey J -

What an awesome review to read! From your great experience with SouthWater Kitchen to the amenity the front desk sent up, it sounds like our staff really worked to knock it out of the park for your visit. Matthew is fantastic, and I will be so happy to share your kind feedback with him. We hope to see you on your next visit to Chicago!

Mornington, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a business conference at the McCormick centre. Great location, close to the river and an easy walk to trains, restaurants and shopping. Cab fare to the conference was reasonable under $10. The hotel was well appointed and the beds were comfortable. Service was OK. The only downside was that they took a $900 reserve on my credit card at check in, and then charged a further $700 + on departure. The $900 isnt returned to the card until days later. Pretty hard to check in for 3 days without at least $2000 available on your card.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Dave864 -

We're happy to hear that you got a chance to enjoy the city, and your stay while in Chicago for a recent conference. We're sorry for any challenges that may have occurred with your credit card, it sounds like maybe the company hadn't released the authorization as quick as we did for you which is why the two holds were visible. It sounds like everything was straightened out, but if noy, please reach out to us! We hope to see you again on your next trip!

St. Louis
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel Monaco for a weekend getaway. It was a wonderful hotel with great service and a great location. We took advantage of an off season price, making this a good value, throw in the complimentary wine happy hour and free wifi and it's a great deal! Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Bathroom is a little tight but it's a boutique hotel. My son has moved up to Chicago and I plan to visit him often. Hope to make Hotel Monaco, my go to hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear dmwtraveller -

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your stay at the Monaco. We're glad you got a chance to snag a great rate and that you took advantage of wine hour. We look forward to seeing you more often when you come to visit!

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location via a company sponsored training. The location is great!! Downtown, where everything is within walking distance, so convenient. The room was clean, staff was very attentive
and hospitable. Complimentary coffee & tea was available each morning as was complimentary wine at the end of the day, which was greatly appreciated. I loved the robes provided and the umbrella, as it rained two days in a row. My stay was great! The only thing that I can complain about was the construction happening next door. I was not as lucky as my co-worker to get a view of the river, instead I had a view of the construction site. There was notification of the construction going on from 8-5, but on most days the construction started at 6'ish. I know they don't have much control of that. Overall my stay was fabulous! I'd certainly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Jnjiemtz -

We are so glad to hear that you made the most of your stay at the Monaco. From the robes, to the coffee & tea, even wine hour, you got it all! We're excited to get a new neighbor, but so sorry that you were disturbed by the construction next door. On your next visit, let us know when you're checking in that you'd love a view on Wabash or of the River and we'll do everything we can to accommodate it! Hope to see you soon.