“Beautiful rooms with amazing window seats.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #19 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ithaca, NY
“Beautiful rooms with amazing window seats.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed here for four nights in May. Its location, on Wabash at the Chicago River is, to me, perfect for walking all around Chicago. River North, Michigan Avenue, State Street, the Loop, Millenium Park, etc. are all within easy walking distance. The Blue Line direct from the airport drops nearby (at Clark and Lake), so it is convenient to get there using mass transit.

Once at the hotel, I was upgraded to a beautiful one-bedroom suite (I am a Kimpton Inner Circle member). The suite, overlooking the Chicago River, was beautifully decorated, quiet, and a serene place to reside while in Chicago. The views from the 4 (yes four, three large (they are about the size of a full-size bed (no lie), one smaller) window seats were amazing. A friend and I sat in them late every night and enjoyed wine and cheese.

The bath had a whirpool tub and stand-up shower. My own personal preference would be to have had a slightly larger shower in the room (and I prefer showers that also include a hand-held shower head as well), but it is an older building (like most Kimptons) that has been retrofitted for a new life (and beautifully done).

The staff, like almost all Kimptons, was welcoming and friendly. They all sought to make my stay memorable and enjoyable. This began with emails from Erica, the assistant manager (a big shout out to her!), prior to my arrival through every person at the hotel.

If you have not stayed at a Kimpton Hotel, you should. And if your trip takes you to Chicago, Hotel Monaco is a superb choice. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The corner suites on the Chicago River afford commanding views of the river.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TR45
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
TR45,

Thank you so much for leaving us a nice review and also thank you for being an Inner Circle Member! I'm glad to see that you got upgraded into one of our nicer suites and were able to enjoy the amazing views.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Marco Scherer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Foster is a really nice check-in person who made sure our first stay at a Kimpton Hotel was a pleasant experience. Our room has two bay windows overlooking the Chicago River. It keeps our boys (under 10) occupied. The decor is very mismatched. The bathroom definitely could use some extra storage for toiletries and a change of clothes. Rich, the concierge was irritated with our request for help with our dinner reservation. After spending 8 hours traveling, patience and a helpful attitude is most appreciated. Rich needs to work on this.

• Stayed May 2014
Ohana143,

Thank you for leaving us a review and having stayed with us! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the interior design of the hotel and the challenges you experienced with one of our staff member. I'm so sorry that it was not the smoothest encounter and this is something that I will be addressing with our management team. I do hope that you get to try us out again.

Kastav, Croatia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Kimpton Monaco is small and cosy interesting hotel on the river. You are in a minute from Michigan av. or State street and Union station is not far away. I enjoyed in spacious room inspite of not nice wiev. The bed was perfect.
Staff is excellent from bell boy to the concierge. I hope I'll be back soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GogiKastav,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We do offer several different room types and we even have a specific room type called Riverview, which does offer nice views of Chicago. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great staff here and the potential for excellence, however my first night was way below par. We hired a suite (not inexpensive) but in spite of assurances that the sofa-bed would be made up in readiness from my return from supper, we had to chase and chase to get this implemented. Have to say the quality of the sofa-bed was more budget hotel/motel than up-market boutique.
Shame, because, it's in a great location with great staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lex_McKee
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Lex_McKee -

Wow, we are so sorry to hear that the sofa bed challenges so negatively impacted your stay. We will most surely follow up with all of our teams on the importance of following through on all guest requests and ensuring comfort throughout your stay. We would welcome the opportunity to host you again. If so, please feel free to reach out to our hotel directly so that we can ensure a flawless stay.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Where do I began about this beautiful hotel. My husband and I found this hotel online just browsing hotels that had a jacuzzi tub. Read the reviews afterwards, then made reservations for the mediterranean spa.The room was everything we wanted, just beautiful. The staff the atmosphere the location the surroundings, nice overall. HIGHLY recommended and most definetly we'll be using this hotel again!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Virgo-Scorpio
Dear Virgo-Scorpio -

Your review was awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. WE're so happy that we were able to make your stay lovely, and that everything seemed to go perfectly for you both. We hope to see you more often!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is in the middle of everything and small enough to remember my name every time I walked in the door. I was in Chi town for a military graduation and my birthday, and the concierge and doorman were amazing. The room was beautiful and clean, and the complimentary HH each night made it feel like home! I absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the theater district or for Macys (formerly historic Marshall Fields) shopping.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a window seat facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Christa_Rocks -

Thanks so much for coming in to celebrate with us, we're glad you got to take advantage of our location & amenities. We're looking forward to your next visit!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our family just returned from a wonderful stay at Hotel Monaco. Charles the concierge was very helpful with our early check-in. The suite was beautiful, with great river views from the four cool window benches. Our daughters loved them. Loved the corner suite. The staff was fantastic with our kids. Thanks so much for sending the birthday surprise for Lily. She was delighted. The in room fish was a big hit with both of our daughters. My husband and I enjoyed the restaurant - a nice surprise.

Room Tip: Suite was very special. 14th floor location provided great views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JenHB02066
Dear JenHB02066 -

Thank you so much for letting us be a part of Lily's special celebration! We're glad you enjoyed the suite and your stay, and hopefully the Monaco is part of the family now!

Hope to see you all again soon.