“Fantastic Luxury Boutique Hotel in a Convenient location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #14 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 June 2014

First off, this hotel is located perfectly. We could walk to most tourist destinations with a 5 year old in tow.

The hotel itself appears newly renovated in the Kimpton style. It was beautiful and well designed, the rooms were updated and well appointed.

The experience started with an extremely outgoing front desk staff who checked me in 5 hours early. She saw that I had requested a high floor, quiet room and gave me exactly that. A room on the highest floor, off the main hallway, with a window facing a large brick wall. Usually, I like a view, but I have to say it was perfect for this trip since I only spent 10 hours a night, most of which I was asleep in the room.

I called down for room service with limited time before my next appointment. 45 minutes later a friendly staff from room service called to apologize they had forgotten my order and asked me to order anything I would like, complimentary. I just re-ordered my oatmeal which was brought up in 10 minutes or less.

Housekeeping here was fantastic. The room was immaculate and all the toiletries and amenities were stocked fully each time they cleaned.

The only caveat at this hotel is the restaurant. I had room service 3 times for breakfast and ate at the restaurant once. The restaurant itself is well decorated with fast and friendly service. The food was mediocre at best. And you may think that's fine because it's hotel food, but Kimpton's traditionally have much better food. Our table ordered various dishes and no one really enjoyed any of it. One day room service sent up a steak and eggs where the steak tasted like someone burned it horribly and told me they absolutely do not have any kind of steak sauce. Another day they sent up poached eggs that were poached too long they could've easily passed for hard boiled.

All of the service was friendly and fantastic. The only strange occurrence we kept having was with the doorman/bellhop. 9 out of 10 of the times we returned to the hotel via car, he would not come to help open the door of our car. I found this very strange since most of the time, he was just staring at us, or staring off into the distance. Also, we had to call our own taxi's for the most part. I've never had this problem at a Kimpton so I though it was worth mentioning it.

My cousins joined me on this trip. Neither of them have ever stayed at a Kimpton but thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

I need to stop saying "THIS is my favorite Kimpton" at each new Kimpton I visit. But so far, THIS is my favorite Kimpton.

Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: Tell them exactly what kind of room you are looking for before you arrive and they will try their ha...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank travellotus
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Travellotus,

Thank you so much for leaving a nice review on Tripadvisor. I'm happy to see that our staff was friendly and was able to take good care of you and we were able to become your favorite Kimpton Restaurant.

I have shared your comments about the restaurant with the restaurant's General Manager and Chef as they are always striving for excellence with service and food quality.

Marco Scherer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,445)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is in a great location for exploring the centre of Chicago and positioned in the Loop. The hotel is a short walk from Clark/Lake giving a direct route from the airport using the Blue Line and then about walk of about 5 minute (4 blocks). The hotel was to the high standard that we expect from a Kimpton Hotel (although not a quirky as some of their West Coast Hotels). The rooms were a good size with a window seat overlooking the Chicago River, it was a great spot to people watch. With this as our based we happily used the public transport to get to Wrigley Field, US Cellular Field, John Shedd Aquarium, the Magnificent Mile, The John Hancock Tower & Navy Pier.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a window seat
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving us a nice review! We are definitely located in a very nice location, and in the middle of everything Chicago has to offer. How great was the feeling of sitting on the window seat and overlooking Chicago? It's one of the best!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Took my almost 7 year old daughter for a few days in the windy city. Was able to check in a bit early and had a spectacular room on 14th floor. Service was great, including the nightly wine reception which featured a small bite from the South Water Kitchen restaurant next door. This hotel is really in the heart of it all - we walked to Millennium Park, Water Tower Place, even the Navy Pier. Everything is within about 1 mile or so, which was just perfect for us. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank huskerjz

Huskerjz,

So happy to hear that your time with your daughter went so well. Trips like these, is what makes life truly special! I hope you get to come back with your family and enjoy everything Chicago has to offer. We even lend out nice bikes, so you can take a ride up and down the lake.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay at the Monaco. It's in a great location in the loop - about a block from the train station. Kimpton customer service is second to none. Room-wise, this is the least impressive Monaco I've stayed in but it's a great price for the Chicago Loop.

• Stayed: May 2014

Krl2012,

Thank you for leaving the review and I'm glad to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hotel Monaco Chicago is a delightful boutique accommodation in the heart of downtown Chicago. Pros: clean and comfortable rooms and tidy public areas, courteous staff, and lively decoration. We had let the hotel know at the point of making our reservation that we were in town for a birthday/anniversary weekend getaway, and were just delighted to find a surprise card (with actual staff signatures) and small fruit basket in our room upon arrival - very nice touch! We enjoyed the happy hour snacks and drinks, which is a nice feature of the hotel. The only con: we arrived via car and approached the hotel southbound on Wabash, and were confused as to where the valet parking was - Wabash is a two-way only on the block of the hotel, making a trip “around the block” to approach the hotel on the same side of the street a less than easy prospect. We eventually figured it out, so just be aware if that’s the direction you’re arrival will take you. Back to pros: Valet is courteous and efficient, and it was nice to park the car for the weekend and not worry about additional parking downtown. The Monaco is within easy walking distance to Millennium Park and the Art Institute, and a short bus ride to the Field Museum and Aquarium - hotel staff gave us great directions about bus routes and local restaurant suggestions. We will definitely stay at the Hotel Monaco again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Inge1854 -

Thank you so much for celebrating with us! We do our best to make everyone feel like they are staying with family when they're here, so we're happy you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel Monaco 22nd to 27th May and had a wonderful stay.
We were there for our honeymoon and they upgraded us to an even nicer room with a lovely view of the river.
The hotel was clean and staff friendly. Especially the concierge who wished us a nice day whenever we went out.
The hotel was in the best location in downtown, easy to get to from the CTA train traveling from airport and easy to walk to Lincoln park, magnificent mile, beach/lake shore trail and to soldier field, field museum.
Would definitely stay again. It was brilliant.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Rebecca W.,

We are so happy to hear that we were able to make your honeymoon special! I am glad our concierge took great care of you. We are hoping to see you back at the Monaco soon.

Cheers, Marco Scherer

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our four days at the Hotel Monaco were absolutely perfect. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly...we were given wonderful advice and recommendations from the concierge. We loved the cocktail hour in the late afternoon with free wine and treats. The location is brilliant with nearly all major sights (Michigan Avenue, Millenium Park, River North, etc.) within walking distance. My favorite aspect of the hotel however was the room. The beds were deliciously comfortable. The window seat was a perfect spot to read and watch boats float down the river. The decor was tasteful and unique. Plus, the goldfish was a great touch. Out of all the hotels I have stayed at in Chicago the Hotel Monaco is by far my favorite.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mollyms619

Dear Mollyms619,

Thank you for the lovely review! It is so great to hear that you were able to enjoy all the amenities the Monaco has to offer. I agree with you that it's the perfect time of year to cozy up in a window seat and watch the boats go by! I am so happy to hear our team was able to take care of you, and we are looking forward to your next stay!