“Super Fun”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntsville, Alabama
“Super Fun”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed an extra day after a business trip and booked a room to meet up with my college roomie. The room was so fun with awesome view, it snowed, we shopped, we ate and drank within walking distance at great places. Staff was super friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back and also try out other Kimpton Hotels whenever available in my travels.

Room Tip: Go high and get a great view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Kate M,

So happy to hear that you got to have an enjoyable snowy stay with us! Looking forward to having you as our guest again!

Marco Scherer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location, making it easy to walk to all of the main attractions as well the shopping on Magnificent Mile. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful and we particularly liked the window seat in the room which allowed you to enjoy the view.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Scotchick2,

Thank you for leaving us a review and I'm happy to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again and doing more shopping at the Magnificent Mile!

New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Monaco is a moderate sized boutique hotel. Everyone on the staff we encountered was not only helpful but friendly. They seemed genuinely interested in our stay in Chicago. The room was good sized, the bed was extremely comfortable. We had a refrigerator, a safe and other amenities that contribute to a good stay. Our favorite feature in the room was a large day bed arrangement in the bowed window. From that vantage point you could see the river and other sites while reading or relaxing. We found the hotel convenient to the things we enjoy in the heart of Chicago including theater and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ROBERT I
Robert,

Glad to see that you got to enjoyed our nice window seats overlooking Chicago! I completely agree that our location is one of the most centralized in the city as everything is just steps from our doors.

Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

First off, this hotel is located perfectly. We could walk to most tourist destinations with a 5 year old in tow.

The hotel itself appears newly renovated in the Kimpton style. It was beautiful and well designed, the rooms were updated and well appointed.

The experience started with an extremely outgoing front desk staff who checked me in 5 hours early. She saw that I had requested a high floor, quiet room and gave me exactly that. A room on the highest floor, off the main hallway, with a window facing a large brick wall. Usually, I like a view, but I have to say it was perfect for this trip since I only spent 10 hours a night, most of which I was asleep in the room.

I called down for room service with limited time before my next appointment. 45 minutes later a friendly staff from room service called to apologize they had forgotten my order and asked me to order anything I would like, complimentary. I just re-ordered my oatmeal which was brought up in 10 minutes or less.

Housekeeping here was fantastic. The room was immaculate and all the toiletries and amenities were stocked fully each time they cleaned.

The only caveat at this hotel is the restaurant. I had room service 3 times for breakfast and ate at the restaurant once. The restaurant itself is well decorated with fast and friendly service. The food was mediocre at best. And you may think that's fine because it's hotel food, but Kimpton's traditionally have much better food. Our table ordered various dishes and no one really enjoyed any of it. One day room service sent up a steak and eggs where the steak tasted like someone burned it horribly and told me they absolutely do not have any kind of steak sauce. Another day they sent up poached eggs that were poached too long they could've easily passed for hard boiled.

All of the service was friendly and fantastic. The only strange occurrence we kept having was with the doorman/bellhop. 9 out of 10 of the times we returned to the hotel via car, he would not come to help open the door of our car. I found this very strange since most of the time, he was just staring at us, or staring off into the distance. Also, we had to call our own taxi's for the most part. I've never had this problem at a Kimpton so I though it was worth mentioning it.

My cousins joined me on this trip. Neither of them have ever stayed at a Kimpton but thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

I need to stop saying "THIS is my favorite Kimpton" at each new Kimpton I visit. But so far, THIS is my favorite Kimpton.

Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: Tell them exactly what kind of room you are looking for before you arrive and they will try their ha...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank travellotus
Travellotus,

Thank you so much for leaving a nice review on Tripadvisor. I'm happy to see that our staff was friendly and was able to take good care of you and we were able to become your favorite Kimpton Restaurant.

I have shared your comments about the restaurant with the restaurant's General Manager and Chef as they are always striving for excellence with service and food quality.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is in a great location for exploring the centre of Chicago and positioned in the Loop. The hotel is a short walk from Clark/Lake giving a direct route from the airport using the Blue Line and then about walk of about 5 minute (4 blocks). The hotel was to the high standard that we expect from a Kimpton Hotel (although not a quirky as some of their West Coast Hotels). The rooms were a good size with a window seat overlooking the Chicago River, it was a great spot to people watch. With this as our based we happily used the public transport to get to Wrigley Field, US Cellular Field, John Shedd Aquarium, the Magnificent Mile, The John Hancock Tower & Navy Pier.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a window seat
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving us a nice review! We are definitely located in a very nice location, and in the middle of everything Chicago has to offer. How great was the feeling of sitting on the window seat and overlooking Chicago? It's one of the best!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Took my almost 7 year old daughter for a few days in the windy city. Was able to check in a bit early and had a spectacular room on 14th floor. Service was great, including the nightly wine reception which featured a small bite from the South Water Kitchen restaurant next door. This hotel is really in the heart of it all - we walked to Millennium Park, Water Tower Place, even the Navy Pier. Everything is within about 1 mile or so, which was just perfect for us. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank huskerjz
Huskerjz,

So happy to hear that your time with your daughter went so well. Trips like these, is what makes life truly special! I hope you get to come back with your family and enjoy everything Chicago has to offer. We even lend out nice bikes, so you can take a ride up and down the lake.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay at the Monaco. It's in a great location in the loop - about a block from the train station. Kimpton customer service is second to none. Room-wise, this is the least impressive Monaco I've stayed in but it's a great price for the Chicago Loop.

• Stayed May 2014
Krl2012,

Thank you for leaving the review and I'm glad to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us!