“Smart, comfortable hotel in the city centre”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #20 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Smart, comfortable hotel in the city centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

Although even "boutique" hotels in this part of the world are pretty big and high rise, this one has a lot more character than many of the larger chain offerings.
Rooms are very chic and comfortable. Service is friendly. Location is excellent for Downtown and the Loop.
Breakfasts are good, and ate lunch a couple of times which was well above average. The bar has a really nice buzzy atmosphere for a hotel, with a good range of local "craft" beers on draft (not the ubiquitous Bud Lite) if you like that sort of thing.

Overall, not cheap but definitely worth it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco over the July 4th weekend. We have previously stayed at the Monaco's sister hotel the Burnham and were very pleased, but wanted to check out someplace different. The hotel staff were among the most friendly I have encountered anywhere. They were extremely helpful and accomodating. We never entered or left the premises without an enthusiatic "welcome back" or "have a great day." I observed the staff helping guests unfamiliar with the area and giving great advice even to some guests who were being quite rude. The location is prime for pretty much anything you could want to do in Chicago. The hotel is extremely clean as is the restaurant downstairs. The rooms are not huge but are typical for some of the more historical hotels in Chicago, NYC or any other major urban location and were quite comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Southeastern United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

I was disappointed during my recent stay for a conference. Given the favorable reviews, I was anticipating a much happier experience. Several things were just "off". Although check-in time is posted at three, our room wasn't ready until 4:30. The desk staff appeared either overwhelmed or disinterested. For instance, as I was leaving one day, the counter person asked "Shall I call you a cab?". I responded that I would be taking the 'L'. The response? "I'll have X get you a cab." Also had a rather unpleasant experience with housekeeping. I returned (albeit early afternoon) to find that my room was being cleaned. I dropped off some material and said that I'd be back soon. I returned an hour later and while the room wasn't pristine (water glass still on the table) the beds were made, towels refreshed and I thought all was well enough. As I started to change clothes and relax, there was a knock on the door. It was housekeeping. A rather grumpy "I'm not done cleaning the room yet" came through the door. At that point I didn't want to be disturbed any longer, and said that everything was fine as it was.
Too, I realize that the rooms can't all face the river, but our alley facing window did give way to lots of noise (from the 'L' and trash removal). I visit Chicago every couple of years on business and thought I would give something besides the larger chains a try. I certainly will not be re-visiting this hotel, though.

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank 214book
New York, Ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

We stayed five nights at the Hotel Monaco, opting out of the better chains, primarily basing our decision to stay on the reputation of the Kimpton Hotel chain and the Travel Advisor ranking. Even though we stayed during a convention--understandably there's little choice in rooms--, we would have expected better. We arrived at 12:30 PM and were shown two rooms that we rejected. The first one was very dark and the second one though a bit less dark, had a funny smell (in fact the beds in all the rooms smelled funny--poor soap or old feather pillows). We were told that at 3 PM we would be offered a nicer room. At 3:20, we inquired and were told that our room was not ready. After discussing this (the manager said to me with veiled sarcasm: "I'm sure you have stayed at better hotels" when I said I was upset by this), we were finally given a room facing a wall on the 14th floor, which was otherwise fine. We did complain about the coldness in the room and were told to take off the fan and the temperature would be fine--it never went above 68. The hotel is in a good location, the rooms are tastefully decorated (though showing their age) the adjacent restaurant serves a great breakfast, but I will never come back here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

I had a wonderful time at the Hotel Monaco. Everything you would expect from a quality chain hotel with the feel of a small, boutique hotel. The rooms are richly decorated. Nothing bland. The window seats are fantastic. And check out their goldfish program. I've already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

Location is unbeatable! Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Hotel is beautifully decorated inside. Our room was showing a little bit of wear (wallpaper peeling in one place, floorboard scuffed in several places, shower made some annoying noise)

I would definitely stay here again!

(Hotel has valet parking...which they neglected to tell me was $40/day! That was a shocker on the bill!)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

The Monaco is friendly, stylish, clean and well located. Don't let the weird facade fool you- I was disappointed as we pulled up but inside is very well decorated and the staff could not have been nicer. The room was large with excellent furnishings, clean, and surprisingly quiet considering the hotel is located pretty much on a hectic corner in the Loop. Walking distance to the Art Institute, Millennium Park, Michigan Ave shopping, theaters, restaurants. The wine hour is pleasant and the 1 dollar upgrade for a continental breakfast is well worth it- large fresh fruit plate plus pastry-
The little window seats are very cool. Great beds and linen, nice big bathroom, fantastic robes in the large closet too.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends