“Great Stay at the Monaco Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #16 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Had a great stay at the Monaco Hotel. Manager surprised us with a fruit tray compliments of the Harbor Court Hotel in San Francisco (we had stayed there several months ago). A big THANK YOU TO BOTH HOTELS (check out the attached picture). Great room . . . window seat was the best for relaxing, reading the New York Times and just looking out the window. Room was made up in a timely manner. Front desk staff very helpful and nice. Our room was on the 14th floor (the top) and we enjoyed every minute of staying at the Monaco. Give it a try . . . it won't disappoint.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in July, 2009. We have stayed at previous Kimpton hotels and have always been pleased. I am an Intouch member, so I was able to get a discounted rate for that weekend which was a big plus! The rooms are spacious and trendy. The free internet was a plus. I was concerned about no hotel parking (they have valet) but was able to find a parking garage around the corner from the hotel. The convenience to the "L" was a plus too.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Beautiful downtown hotel close to Millineum Park & Chicago Art Institute. The staff was friendly, professional, & very motivated to make sure our stay was comfortable. At arrival on marathon weekend there was a mix-up with our room requests. We ended up with even better rooms & a free bottle of wine, compliments of Mark at the front desk! The housekeeper left us a free Corona because she observed we liked it, & the door man personifies quintessential Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Monaco_Chicago, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2009

Dear Readteam,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hotel Monaco Chicago with the TripAdvisor community!

We're sorry to hear about the mix-up with your room requests. It is reassuring to know that our desk team was able to create a wonderful solution.

I'll be sure to let Mark know that his efforts are appreciated.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Monaco Chicago!

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed at Hotel Monaco, Chicago for 5 nights on business and I was very impressed. The staff was friendly from the time I checked in. The concierge was helpful with reservations for restaurants and even got us a reservation at a place that normally doesn't take them.
My room had a beautiful view of the Chicago river. There was some noise from neighbors slamming their doors late at night (2-3am),but that only lasted one night thankfully.
The location, within the Loop, makes it easy to get to various points of interest.
Overall I had a great stay at this hotel and would return again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Nice size room, very nice staff and great location!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We don't normally stay right in the city, but we were without the kids and got a great deal on the room. We had a wonderful time. The room was gorgeous, clean, and quiet. The staff were very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I had read such great reviews and gave up a hotel with a pool to stay here under the premise that there would be a fish in the room to entertain my child. I emailed the hotel well in advance and they assured me they'd put one in the room. Upon check in they again told me the fish would be coming. Nothing happened. I called again and was finally told, hours later, that they had no fish, much to my child's disappointment. The reason given was vague - either the fish dies or they ran out. The point is that they never bothered to tell me this - I had to find out after many attempts and I don't like that kind of treatment at what is supposed to be a four star hotel. The room was not that clean, either (hair, dust), and the wallpaper was coming off the walls in spots. If I were to make a choice again, I'd go with a hotel with a pool. There are many other choices.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family