“Nice for family” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, United States
“Nice for family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Omni Chicago is good location, nice for families. Not a super big hotel so it's cozy. Could use some new bedding, window treatments & better TV in bedroom. Restaurant is great, breakfast buffet good for all ages. Hotel pool is too small. Staff is always great & dependable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in Chicago at the Omni and beleive me it was the best stay ever! The Omni truly knows how to treat their guests! The beds and all the linens are wonderful. The complimentary coffee delivered to our room every morning was the absolute best. The food in the hotel is just faboulous and you must try their restaurant esp for the breakfast buffet! The Omni will be our home when we go to Chicago or every place else that there is an Omni. Can't go wrong with this hotel!! The best ever!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed in the Omni for one night on a quick trip to Chicago, and the hotel lived up to expectations, with one really major problem. The bed barely reached the "okay" level. The mattress was soft and a bit lumpy, with no support. When we mentioned this to the front desk upon checkout they said the rooms were due for upgrading and the mattresses were on the list.

They had better get this corrected soon, as I certainly couldn't recommend anyone stay here given the current state of the beds. The rooms in general feel like they are in need of an update, nothing about them feels fresh, although they are well equipped. Oh, and the outlets built into the desk weren't working some devices didn't charge. That could have been a disaster if I hadn't noticed.

The staff was excellent, and fulfilled a couple odd requests quickly and easily. The location is great, and I would like to give this hotel a better rating, but until the place gets a freshening up, I would say there are better options, especially given the high price point.

Room Tip: 2216 is a small corner suite. Very nice views and two exposures. Very small bathroom, but serviceabl...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ManhattanTripper
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We’re sorry that our beds did not provide enough support. We use Serta double pillow top mattresses in our rooms and flip them after a certain number of stays to minimize wear. In the event that your bed isn’t comfortable, we’re happy to try to relocate you to a room with a better mattress. And when we undergo a renovation we will be replacing all the mattresses. We understand you may not return until we renovate, but we hope you will consider staying with us again after it is complete.
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I don't get the rave reviews of this place. I stayed for 5 nights on business and had a gloomy room with tired decor. The staff was smily and friendly, but what upmarket hotel staff isn't in the US? The room was on a high floor so was reasonbly quiet. However, it was very underlit, particularly the bathroom, and the fittings and wallcovering are 1980s brown/fawn which contribute to the gloom. The a/c was very noisy.

The bar was so noisy at busy times that it was unpleasant to be in and why on earth does every bar in the city think it needs to have several silent tv screens showing the same endless highlights of football/basketball/baseball games?

The other event that put me off this place was a 3.30am abusive phone call. I reported this to the staff, who said that phone records of calls to rooms couldn't tracked (I assume the phone call was internal) and there the matter rested.

Oh and it was very expensive, but I guess that was due to a massive conference taking place in Chicago that week.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room and go high.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
We would like to apologize for the phone call you received at 3:30 am. Had we had the ability to investigate the matter further, please know that we would have. We take matters like this very seriously and want to make sure all our guests have a peaceful, comfortable stay.
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I have stayed at the Omni hotel 3 times - twice in Chicago (awesome) and once in Pittsburgh (awesome as well). I have never really had one negative thing to say about the Omni in a review other than the extremely loud air cond. at the Omni in Pittsburgh............After my first stay at the Omni in Chicago I became a "Select Guest". Because Chicago is my favorite place and I love the Omni, I decided to continue to stay at the Omni again and again so that eventually I would get free nights. A few months ago, I looked at my Select Guest Account online and it stated that I could stay FOUR more nights and then get a free night. Just a couple of days ago, I looked at my account again and it stated that I had to stay TWENTY more nights to get a free stay.............I called the Select Guest line to clarify and discovered that they made "changes" to the Select Guest Program. When I politely told the lady on the phone that I was disappointed with this she stated that there are different kinds of Select Guests (platinum, gold, etc.) and that if I accumulated more points perhaps I could eventually get a free night AFTER staying ONLY TEN more nights. The only people that would stay at a hotel this many nights are those that travel for business - and I believe these people would not be paying their own way anyhow (because their company would cover the cost). I do not travel for business; I travel for pleasure..........

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Location to American Girl store is great, just a few blocks down Michigan ave. bell staff was very friendly and made us 'feel comfortable' the moment we stepped out of the car for valet parking. inside the wait staff was courteous and attentive. breakfast buffet at the 676 restaurant was fresh and tasty. cherry smoothie is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Wildwood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I decided to book the Omni because they were running a Memorial Day special for 30% off. Had I booked for anywhere near full price, I would be extremely disappointed.

Pros:
- The pool and fitness facility is pretty nice. My children enjoyed an evening swim each night and I was able to get in a good work out in the fitness center each morning. The equipment is up to date although many of treadmills were not working. Fortunately, this was not a problem since I was the only one in there every morning.

- The staff at front desk, valet and at the door were all very friendly.

- The breakfast we ordered each morning was anywhere from good to great depending on the day. A bit inconsistent, but always satisfying.

- The rooms are all suites so having a separate sitting area is nice to utilize after the kids have gone to sleep.

Cons:
- The rooms truly need to be updated. The bedrooms have the old tube TV's that I can't recall seeing anywhere for several years. The beds are average at best, and the pullout sofa was a nightmare. I have low expectations when it comes to pull out sofa beds, but this was hands down the worst I've ever experienced.

- The shower had an awful mildew smell.

- As I mentioned above, the food from room service was quite good overall, however, each morning I had to let it ring 25+ times before someone would pick up. Not a huge deal, but certainly out of the ordinary.

- As a member of their loyalty program, you receive free internet service. Be sure to check your bill because I was still charged despite the fact that I'm a member.

We travel to Chicago every year during Memorial Day. Unless the hotel is updated, I doubt I will be returning to this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We will work with our housekeeping department to make sure we don’t have any guests checking into a room with a mildew smell. We apologize for the time it took to get a hold of room service. We will pass along these comments so we focus on a quicker response time. And we focus on our billing so we don’t have issues like the internet charge at check-out with other guests.