“I expected better...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Eugene, Oregon
“I expected better...”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

... than this. As a traveller on a short business trip, staying at the Palmer just two nights, I am pretty disappointed. Here's why:
1) Line of 12 people deep to check in at 10:00 PM on a Friday
2) No bottled water available for purchase in the room AND the hotel shop was closed (again, when I checked-in).
3) Tiny room - could have been cleaner, too.
4) $20 for highspeed internet and it's not even wireless
5) Limited gym hours and it costs $10 to use the gym per day
6) Overall, just a crowded place with no room to breath.

What I like? I like the location in the city.

Would I stay here again? Only if my work travel demanded that I do so (like for a conference). It's an old hotel, which is nice, but then again, it's seen better days.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lolawally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,791)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The location of the Palmer House is great. You can walk to Lake Michigan, Millennium Park, many shops, and museums. The building is beautiful and they have done a great job maintaining it. My room was small but nice and completely adequate. The staff was helpful and polite.

The gym is fabulous but the hours are very limited and they charge you extra to use it. I always feel abused when an expensive hotel charges for a basic amenity such as a gym.

I had free internet (Hilton Gold) and it was fast and easy to use.

I did not have any problems with my reservation or my stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Chose this hotel based on reviews.. I was taking my daughter to school(freshman year) and decided this would be the right place based on it's location. the room was small but clean the bed was comfy too.. Hilton does need to stop charging for every little thing such as the high priced internet(20 bucks) and the extremely high self parking I paid more for parking than the full sized rental I had (38 bucks a day) and on top of that the Starbucks in the hotel that normally offers free wi-fi didnt have it either.. the food was costly but thats ok We went to the cafe bakery on the corner and ate breakfast... (get the blueberry muffins but go early)And there are plenty of great restaurants to eat in, other than the hotel.... Otherwise the hotel is close to everything... good shopping on State and of couse Michigan Ave... lively people watching on Wabash... Close to public transportation because if I did not have to have a car to move my daughters stuff... I would definitely take public transportation.... the traffic in Chicago is RIDICULOUS!!! worst than D.C and NYC!! I love Chicago!!! Would I stay again? possibly (By the way the customer service was really accomodating) but I want to try a different hotel every time I come back to Chi town...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I spent several nights here enjoying the sights and sounds of our third largest city (We live in the fourth !) . Art institute so very close by. I lived here as a young man in the 1940's and while the city has changed greatly overall, I find the Loop area much the same.

As a HiltonHHonors member, I was upgraded to a suite and we were staggered at the size and luxury of our accommodations. We found everything in order and spotless. Greatly enjoyed an evening cocktail in the lobby area followed by an excellent supper in the dining room.

Hang on, Palmer House, we'll be back !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
United States
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I am a regular at the Palmer House. It is a great hotel. The rooms vary a lot in size and appointments. During our last stay, we were given a tiny room. It is a bit shotty for a Hilton Diamond member. We also only had three towels. After asking for four once, we continue to only get three towels. Something like that should not have needed daily calls. We also saw some cracker crumps on the carpet when we first checked in and had to flag down a maid to come in for it. Also, the mail service is a bit irregular. After I have picked up my Fed Ex envelope, I continue to have a message sent to me about having a package waiting for me. Whatever happened to having it delivered to me? Fed Ex is handled by the UPS store in the building and they are not open on weekends so picking up a package can be tricky. Delivery is the answer!!! Otherwise, the hotel is nice but my smaller complaints are signs of decline. The bath tub drain was very slow but they came and fixed it very quickly. As much as I love this hotel, these are the things that tarnish a great hotel. They must put these things to a halt before it loses its position as one of the grand dames of Chicago hotels. Service and amenities in the executive floor are still good. Keep up the good work and fix your problems, please!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Park Ridge
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Although I have stayed at Palmer House before and have had a nice stay, out of town friends that my family was hosting, recently had an experience that is worth sharing. This is the first time I have awarded a hotel 1-star in one of my reviews and I don't mean to suggest that this is a one-star hotel but rather that we had a terrible experience. I always have read one-star TA reviews with a bit of skepticism that the reviewers were just malcontents, I hope this is not taken the same way.

Friends from Chile were traveling to the U.S. and booked a room a month in advance at the Palmer House for their Chicago leg. Their credit card was charged for the room. Three days before they were to arrive in Chicago from Wisconsin, our friends received an e-mail that the hotel was not able to verify the foreign address on their credit card and therefore canceled the reservation three days before their arrival. This although the credit card had already been charged for the room. We called the hotel to straighten out the problem but were told there were no rooms available now and that they were unable to do anything about it except refund the amount already charged. The only room our friends could find in downtown Chicago on three days notice was a run-down Travel Lodge -- a far cry from a hotel like the Palmer House.

There were so many better ways for the Palmer House to handle the situation and they should be ashamed for their complete lack of customer service. As a Chicagoan, I am embarrassed as this reflects poorly on the city (country?) as a whole to a foreign visitor. Shame on Palmer House for not taking responsibility!

As a side note, I looked through other TA reviews of the hotel for similar problems and noticed that although there were numerous one- and two-star reviews, there was no response from management on any that I saw (perhaps there are responses to some I did not read?). On the other hand, for a number of the five-star reviews, Palmer House management responded, thanking the reviewers for their comments. As manager of a large hotel, wouldn't you be more interested in addressing poor experiences guests have had rather than thanking happy guests? I guess not.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank SciGuyMrD
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We have stayed at The Palmer House Hilton for many years and love the location, as we can walk everwhere.
The rooms have always been so spacious but this year, our room was very tiny. We could have put the bathroom in half of the room. We were quite surprised they had ANY rooms this small but other than that, it was awesome. We visit a family member and enjoy a stop at the room to rest from the traveling we do on foot and the room is very crowded with the extra person but if you have no more than 2 people, it's just fine.
For future reference, we will request they not give us the SMALLEST room.

Room Tip: Our room was beside an exit sign.....ask for a room with a sitting area and not so small.