Stayed at the Palmer House Hilton for 5 days during a recent work assignment. The hotel is a classic 19th century hotel that has been continuously updated over time. In all the hotel was clean, modern and in good repair. Got the room through a booking agency for about 50% of the posted rack rate. In exchange for the discount, I got one of the smallest rooms on the floor (according to the hotel floor plan posted on the inside of the door). The room was *small*, about 140sq ft in size (I'm being generous). Had a twin bed (very comfortable), a desk, a dresser and a 3 piece washroom. No couch, chair, etc.
Hotel is quaint with lots of 1920's-1970's posters, performer portraits, etc. The hotel lobby is opulent. There is a bar, restaurant, etc. in the lobby and service was generally very good (although they will leave you alone if you like).
Internet was free in the lobby and about $16 in the room. The only way to get free Internet is to be a Hilton premier guest (frequent stay guest) or to go down to the hotel lobby. I did the latter and enjoyed very smooth Netflix service in the lobby over their wireless network.
What I liked:
- excellent housekeeping
- very comfortable bed with very nice linen, comforter, etc.
- lots of hot water
- room was quiet
- good shopping on State St. (H&M outlet, Nordstrom rack)
What I didn't like
- have to pay for Internet
- very small room
- Watch out for the raised subway line on South Wabash
- went to the business office on the 7th floor and (much to my surprise), you have to pay to print out anything but boarding passes. And, you can't print out boarding passes from Porter Airlines.
Rated the hotel 3* because they charge for Internet service. Would have been 4* otherwise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton