“Nice historic hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice historic hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at the Palmer House for one night as I had to catch an early morning train and had a reasonable room although the soundproofing between the rooms could have been improved--suspect that this may not be fixable due to it having landmark status. Checkin was reasonably smooth--not a long wait due to the fact that I was able to use the Hhonors line. I did not eat in any of the hotel restaurants due to time constraints so can't assess these. I did find locating the room a bit of a rat maze as I was on the 9th floor on the Monroe St. side--not much of a view but this was not one of my primary concerns.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,697)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mundelein, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed at the Palmer House during Spring Break. My daughters loved how "fancy" the hotel was as soon as you walk in. It really is a very pretty hotel. The rooms were clean and very spacious, but there was some areas with peeling wall paper. The rooms only come with 2 doubles, not queens. This was a little disappointing, but nothing we couldn't live with. The rooms also do not have a coffee maker, but you can request that one be sent up to your room, which is what we did. The only other issue we had with our room was that on our day of check out, house keeping or possibly a utility man woke us up at 7:00 a.m. trying to get in to the room. They came twice more before 9:00 a.m., which was when we finally left to start our day. We probably would have slept a little later had it not been for this early interruption.
The pool has one side that is 4ft increasing to 5 ft, and the other is 8ft deep. This was unexpected for our family, but we were happy to see that they had noodles that our younger daughter could use to stay afloat. However, the pool was VERY COLD!! They had a hot tub but we didn't try it so we cannot comment on it.
The best part of this hotel was it's location!! You are within 1-2 blocks of every train and/or bus to take you to all the city attractions. The Art museum is 1 1/2 blocks away and Millennium Park is across the street from that. If you choose you can take the trains every where, but we walked to Willis Tower, The Daley Center, and the Cultural Center in 10 minutes or less. There is also a Target across the street.
Overall, we had a great time at this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is a great historic hotel. Nothing says Chicago like this hotel. Following the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, the Board of Inquiry into the conduct of Major Marcus A. Reno was held here. Famous generals and legions of reporters showed up for it. It was the center of high society in the 20’s. It is a Chicago icon.

We stayed here on a Friday night. There was a long line at registration at 4PM. Hotel staff rushed in and suddenly there were 6 clerks where the had been two and the line dissipated quickly. The lobby and public rooms here are just stunning.

We booked an ordinary room with two double beds. Nonetheless our room was twice as big as most American hotel rooms. It was beautifully appointed and had a seating area the size of a small living room with two overstuffed chairs, a side table and a desk and chair. There were two full sized enclosed closets. The bathroom was tiny, however, and there was only one sink. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub in the hotel. They were quite ordinary, however.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m happy to hear you had a delightful stay. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again.

Dardan Mehmeti
South Bend, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

The Palmer House is my favorite hotel in Chicago's Loop. But when I checked in yesterday, I did not receive my usual greeting nor did I receive a bottle of water. (A tiny perk for being a member of their loyalty program and always welcome.) Instead the clerk informed me that they now charge $25 to check in early. (It may have been $35; I was so taken aback that I may have heard wrong.) One of the many reasons that I love this hotel is that nine times out of ten, when I take the early train to Chicago, they have a room ready. And that means a lot to a woman traveling alone. It's comforting to be able to move in right away and unpack and have a home base from which to operate. It saves me having to hang around in public spaces waiting either for a room or my first activity to begin. I completely understand if no room is available that I will have to wait. But to charge extra for a couple of hours occupancy seems downright mean. The clerk gave me a little lecture about airlines charging extra for more leg room, trying to justify the charge. Why any company in the hospitality industry would want to align itself with airline service is beyond me. The hotel is still wonderful for all of the reasons that I've mentioned before. But that was a nasty way to "welcome" a repeat customer. (I know they like to call us guests, but I don't feel like one anymore.)

2 Thank SuzyQSB
Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Had a brilliant stay in Chicago and hotel was superbly placed and good value Had a comfortable room on the 13th away from the EL and elevators Hotel at lobby level is so splendid Room perfectly adequate Missed tea and coffee facility but overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a centrally based hotel with good rooms and outstanding character Staff were very helpful all the time

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from front and elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

My friend and I stayed on the 14th floor for three nights this past week. Is this a 5 star? No, not in my opinion, but it is a great hotel and overall we were pleased. I have stayed in plusher rooms, but for the most part the room was fine. We reported the one phone was not working and a seam in the wallpaper in the bathroom was coming apart. Those are small things. The bathroom was NOT small in our room. Our room was handicap accessible, which applies to my friend. He kept bumping his shoulder on the large towel hook on the inside of the bathroom door. ( Room14244)
The staff were wonderful folks all around and made us feel welcome. I think the highlight of our stay was having a light late night dinner following a concert in the grand lobby. Now this was class!
I made use of the fitness center ( for a fee-$10 ) and both of us visited the swimming pool twice. It was OK, but it seemed the plants had been removed and this pool area looked rather barren and rundown for such a nice hotel. The hotel is only two blocks from the CHicago Symphony, which was one of the reasons we were in town and we arrived in good time on the train from O'hare Airport, even making a concert at Orchestra Hall, for which we had not purchased tickets in advance due to the close timing, in time for a cup of coffee, by hotfooting it from the subway to the bellman's desk at the hotel to the concert hall and we heard Itzhak Perlman live! The joys of travel!

Berryville, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

We chose this hotel because it is close to the embassy we went to. It all started fine. We were so excited. Love the art on the ceiling. When we went to our room we loved it too, not much of a view but looks comfortable until we lie down trying to rest from our travel and just that i knew that was the MOST NIGHTMARE ROOM EVER! We can feel the shakes/vibration from the elevator going up and down. Called the front desk to try to switch to another room, the lady i talked to said there's no other room available. We had no time to argue because we had a scheduled visit to the embassy. When it's time to go to sleep, i almost cried I couldn't go to sleep though very tired. Called the front desk again and been told to call back in the morning for the morning shift. RIDICULOUS! We are checking out in the morning. So, we concluded maybe we don't look "executive" like most of the people in business attire, we were dumped in that so MOST UNCOMFORTABLE ROOM in the house.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Yari78
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I apologize for the trouble you experienced with the noise from the elevators. We strive to assure that our guests’ needs are accommodated, especially sleep quality. Our guests are always our top priority and we failed to demonstrate that. I hope you will give us an opportunity to make it right on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly for any additional questions or concerns. Again, thank you and we appreciate your feedback.

Dardan Mehmeti