“excellent hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City, Missouri
“excellent hotel”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It was a very grand old style hotel. The lobby was a wonderful place to meet and visit. My room was spacious and comfortable. It was cleaned properly every day. The hotel staff were very helpful. The hotel is centrally located in downtown Chicago.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,791)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Warwick, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I called the hotel a few days before my arrival to ask if there was a coffee pot in the room. You would think I asked this woman to solve a linear equation. She put me on hold for at least 15 minutes, then advises me to call my travel agent and have them request a coffee pot. I decided I would not embarrass myself with such a call, but instead wait until I arrived to request one myself. Lo and behold I get the same woman (voice unmistakable). I requested a coffee pot at 2pm and 8pm still no coffee pot. I called down to front desk again, and finally got a wonderful woman who not only apologized but made a follow up call.
Now it's the morning of our departure, I begin packing, I go into the bathroom to collect my toiletries, as I open the light a roach runs across the floor. I called down and tell them what just happened, in which they were very apologetic. They advised me that a housekeeping manager would come to the room as soon as his meeting was over. An hour later I get a call from the manager saying he will take $30 off for two days of wifi. I was very dissatisfied and disappointed with their customer care. Other than that the lobby was beautiful the rooms appearance was very nice the bed was very comfortable. Anne Curry

Washington DC
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I lived in Chicago a long time and always wanted to stay at the Palmer House. Decided to on the spur of a moment recently and got a great deal on the room. The room itself was great, nice and quiet and pretty roomy. I love the lobby and the authentic feel of the place. The trouble started when I went to take a shower and there was no hot water. I ran it for over 5 minutes and it was still cold. I called to have someone look at it and of course it warmed up. It never got even close to hot but it was warm enough to take an almost okay shower. Even though I'd paid ahead for the room, I decided to stop at reception to let them know about the issue and to get validated for parking. There were only two people working and although there were maybe 4 of us in line, it took me 20 minutes to get to talk with someone. It was really unacceptable. Turns out in order to get the $2 off the parking (which was close to $40), you had to pay through the hotel. Since I already had paid for the room and by then was running late, I decided against that and so in reality waited 20 minutes for nothing. I at least hope they fixed the problem with the water so the next guest didn't have to deal with it. For these reasons, I was disappointed in my Palmer House experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank alliswell252
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I used to love the Palmer House, but it has gotten worse and worse. I reserved a king bed room on the executive floor. I was given a double bed room, across the hall from the service elevators. The automatic doors were so loud that I woke up continuously through the night. When I tried to leave my room the next morning, I had to push one of the carts in the photo out of the way so I could get out of my door. The maids were talking loudly around the corner about the ball game that was happening later in the day.

When I showed the photo to the desk manager, he moved me to another floor (not the executive floor that I had reserved) and did nothing to compensate me for the lost night of sleep. I don't recall if he even apologized. This is not the sort of service that I expect at a hotel that purports to be a "full service" Hilton.

I highly recommend other hotels in the area. I think this one has gotten so big that they just can't manage it with the staff they have on hand. The customer service is nowhere near other properties at this price point.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ugaindc
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 April 2014

In town recently for a show and my company put us up at the Palmer House. First time there, I had heard that it was very "dated". I was pleasantly surprised to walk into a very grand beautiful lobby. Older than others, but definitely not old/dated. Check in was efficient and friendly. Rooms were very nicely done. It's located on the loop with many restaurants and conveniences nearby. Overall - rooms were not drop dead OMG I have to come back - but overall a very good experience and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room near elevator...there are MANY rooms on each floor so unless you want a lot of exercis...
Wheaton, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The hotel has a great history and as you enter the lobby you feel it. A fun "step back in time" within the hotel while being located in the midst of all the great things Chicago has to offer. The staff is very courteous and the lobby is beautiful. The rooms are showing their age, but still enjoyable. Good family base for spending a few days exploring this awesome city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Palmer House is my favorite Chicago hotel. The historical property in the Loop has maintained the magnificent beauty of the original structure (the lobby is so grand it defies description) while incorporating modern comfort and convenience. It is well-located, with plenty of restaurants all around, as well as giving easy access to museums and theaters.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business