“Favorite Hotel in Chicago”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #97 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Favorite Hotel in Chicago”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have stayed here MANY times over the years. The hotel was re-modeled a few years ago; overall experience, from rooms to service to dining, has improved, in my opinion. We booked two single rooms, but decided to upgrade for a nominal fee to the Club Floor. These rooms were on the 22nd floor, quiet, clean, comfy, not accessible to the general public (you will receive a special key to the elevator)--no view from the window, though. The Club Lounge (23rd floor) has improved--hot and cold buffet breakfast, same great wait staff. In the evening, the international hors d'oevre feature was sweet & sour chicken, vegetable stir-fry noodles, fortune cookies, plus basic snacks, like trail mix, non-alcoholic beverages. Cash bar. We didn't need to eat out that night.

Tried Lockwood restaurant for dinner one night. Very good food and wine. The scallop appetizer and the roast chicken entrée were superb. Excellent wine selection. Good value for the money re: wine. Lockwood has a bar in the lobby with a few tables there as well. The lobby is gorgeous and great for just relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. We enjoy having a cocktail and snack there to unwind, if we feel like it.

Hotel is centrally located to Millenium Park, the Art Institute, Orchestra Hall, Michigan Avenue. Love it. If you like history, check out the in-house TV channel that deals with the hotel's past. You'll appreciate your stay even more, I think.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Madison, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Best hotel experience we've ever had! Our upgrade to the executive floor was so worth it! Perfect downtown location, minutes to parks, museums, river tour and shopping! Make time to have a cocktail in the historic lobby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hi
I rarely write a bad review but 2 years in a row the Hilton Palmer house has disappointed so finally I need to review it. Last year they lost my reservation so they put me in a cot in the conference room for the first night and then moved me into another crappy room under construction. They did comp me first night which they should have as I slept on a cot in a hospitality room but I had up
Fight for that. This year was disappointing again. Booked a room for $229 and they put me Into the smallest room I have ever seen. No more than 80 sq ft. No where is it stated in their website. I have been a hilton honors award member for many years and when I brought it up
To the front desk she was very rude about it. Terrible customer service. I was stupid to give them another chance. Not what I would expect out of a true Chicago old school hotel. Definitely not what I expect In a hilton property. There are so many better places to stay in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Queendeb2121
npyles, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Queendeb2121,

We welcome all feedback from our guests as it helps others see what we do well and also provides us with opportunities to improve in areas where we may have dropped the ball or mismanaged a situation. Your response merits further follow up and research on our end. Your review points to two different occasions where what you thought you booked and what you actually received ended up being different. Because this seems like an abnormality rather than the norm at our property we would like to gather more information regarding your previous stays and see what happened on our end. Please reach out to us by phone or email us at commentsph@hilton.com.

In regards to the parlor room with the cot. It is very rare that when a hotel reservation confirmation is provided to our registration desk that we are unable to locate or retrieve a reservation. Often times on nights when we are fully committed and the Chicagoland area is sold out with a convention or because of a big event, we offer Parlor Suites with a cot, like the one you mentioned, for travelers that show up a day earlier or a day later than their original confirmed reservation. We do this as a courtesy and last resort, rather than making the guest find accommodations on their own in a city with limited to no room vacancies. Again not sure if this was the case when you stayed with us but we look forward to hearing from you to discuss your stays in more detail.
Alabama
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Palmer on my first trip to Chicago. I was lucky enough to get a good rate ($109) per night for a Sunday through Thursday. The staff were nice. The hotel is exquisite. The renovation and decor is stunning. If you are not used to city sounds, stay above 14. Ask for a corner room. Our bell hop recommended this. We had windows on both walls which allowed for much more light than usual. The bathroom was good. Great light for a hotel. Decor was very art deco which we love. Contemporary with a flair of the dramatic. Very clean. Ask for a coffee pot if you prefer coffee in your room. Otherwise, there is a Starbucks on the ground level. We did have a small fridge, but no microwave. Ask about that if it is important.

Room Tip: For a quiet sleep, above the 14th floor. Ask for a corner room. Very bright and cheery.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our stay was perfectly acceptable but the most outstanding member of staff was wonderful Tracey. She dealt patiently, efficiently and amiably with all our requests. At one point she even walked us through to one of the many hotel exits and pointed us in the right direction! She really contributed to a wonderful 24 hours in Chicago, all with such good humour.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antr0bus
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Extremely disappointed--at this price I expected so much better. My room was only okay: the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling and there were mold spots around the bathtub. Overall seemed like a hasty renovation job.

What really clinched my decision never to come back to this hotel (and indeed, spread the word about how terrible it is) was the service though. I had a couple of hours to kill after checkout so I brought my bags down to the bell desk. I didn't have any cash on me at the time of dropping off my bags, so I planned to tip extra upon coming back to pick them up. The bellhop was obviously displeased with this arrangement, and openly yelled sarcastic and hostile remarks as I walked away. I still tipped when I came back later to pick up the bags, but maybe I shouldn't have.

Plus, I found out shortly after my trip that the hotel had charged me twice for my stay. When I called to rectify this, I spoke to several people but none of them even so much as apologized. Instead they just nonchalantly told me that the refund would be processed in 7 business days.

Absolutely do not recommend this hotel. Don't be fooled by the lavish lobby. The service is absolutely horrendous.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Hanna C
Pamela D, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay on TripAdvisor.
I would like to apologize for the service failures you experienced during your recent stay and offer my assistance in regards to rectifying those issues. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be delighted to be of service. Once again my apologies that your stay with us was not enjoyable. We hope to be able to assist and accommodate you again in the future to show you the true spirit of hospitality we are known for.

Kind regards,
Pamela Domma
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2014

At first, The Palmer House struck me as an outdated hotel. After the first night it started to gain appeal. The large halls with pictures of celebrities that appeared at the Palmer House years ago did the trick. Milton Berle, George Burns, Liberace, Sid Caesar, Louis Armstrong....It is a large property a block from Michigan Avenue, near The Art Institute. The hotel is different, and for some reason, that has some appeal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business