“Beautiful hotel, unclear hotel package details, disappointing!!!”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #99 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a package for a one night stay with 2 adult VIP passes to the Field Museum. We arrived hot and tired after hours at the zoo and had to wait for the desk staff to find our museum tickets. He came back with only one ticket. He said the package only covered adults. I went online after rechecking the package and the Field Museum's age requirements for a child's ticket. Bottom line, after talking to 2 staff and the concierge, the hotel refused to give us a second pass since one pass was for my 13 year old daughter. I am a single Mom and knew the Field Museum's Child tickets ended at age 11, so I purposely bought the package that included 2 adult tickets. I advice to Watch packages if kids are under 18, Hilton says they "stay free" this means even though some museums end child's admission at age 11, Hilton will not give you an adult pass to museums! They finally said the room would have cost more to cover the ticket price if I registered as 2 adults. I asked how much more and if I could pay the increase if it was less than the second adult ticket I needed ( which is why I chose that package) , no price was offered. I had to pay for full admission for my daughter at the museum. They did have a student rate, but still $25.00, I was not counting on! Also it costs $41.00 to park.
I adore the Palmer House and its beauty and history, but I was so disappointed in how we were treated about the museum ticket that I doubt I will return.

The rooms were nice and seemed very clean, except the windows did not appear to be cleaned and had various size hand/ fingerprints on them. The hotel is historic and one of the plugs was loose from the wall and the bathrooms were very nice, but small.

Room Tip: The staff did upgrade our room, prior to knowing about the museum ticket issues, even though we did...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Palmer House Hilton

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The Palmer House by Hilton is where I always stay when I go to Chicago. It's a wonderful hotel that has a lot of history, as well as a lot of class. The bar in the hotel lobby offers delicious cocktails, using fresh ingredients.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here with a group attending a huge conference in the main Hilton on S Michigan, and although it is undeniably a magnificently restored building (especially the lobby), our experience was not altogether positive and in one aspect, extremely negative. The room was elegantly decorated but cramped, and had no refrigerator--a nuisance when you have a 5-night stay. The hotel restaurants were all absurdly overpriced, driving us all to Starbucks and Freshies (on ground floor, under the hotel) for breakfast, and anywhere else for dinner. Staff were barely courteous and did not make us feel welcome; more that we were annoying interruptions to their more important business. The worst thing was that two of my colleagues had their laptops stolen from their rooms while open for cleaning. They were never recovered and the management was at first defensive and reluctant to do anything. It took some legal persuasion to elicit a refund on the room, and no help on the theft. This is the first time in my long experience of travel on several continents (including some pretty sketchy places) that this has happened. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Probably don't pay a group rate. I think they reserve the least good rooms for these customers.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ahberes
Pamela D, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I apologize that your recent stay at the Palmer House was not enjoyable. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy the offerings in our outlets. We do offer a variety of options at different price points for all our guests between Starbucks, Freshii, Potter’s Lounge and Lockwood and I am truly sorry that none of these were favorable to you.
I would like to assure you that our leadership team will review your feedback in regards to the service we provide with our entire team as an opportunity for improvement. We take great pride in our tradition and reputation of delivering a high level of service and I am sorry your experience while staying with us did not reflect that.
We take any reported missing items very seriously. Our Security Department thoroughly investigates all claims. If your colleague has any questions please ask him to reach out to our Security Department for assistance.

Kind regards,

Pamela

Reviewed 28 May 2014

we've stayed here over a dozen times, and while the hotel is a little faded around the edges, it is still a great place to stay. but what makes it really great is the staff-- from the front desk, to the manager, to the concierge, to the cleaning crew, everyone is friendly and polite, but not in an affected way, rather like they love being a part of the Palmer House and want you to as well. case in point-- when we went to check in on a whim I asked if we could get one of the rooms with a fireplace (they're not working ones). when I explained it was my wife's birthday and that we had stayed in such a room for the Millennium, they went out of their way to make it happen. and they were as excited as me to keep it a surprise for my wife. just fantastic people.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSBrandt
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Palmer House four four nights in early May this year while touring in Chicago. The room we had was small but comfortable and being right downtown we had no view. The lobby is where you want to spend your time as it is truly spectacular. The employees go out of there way to be friendly and helpful. Cons, there are no coffee makers in the rooms but on request they will provide you with one. (free of charge) The one thing that really erks me is that they try to charge you for wifi but after much complaints they let me on free of charge. If I had known that they charge for wifi I might have looked for another hotel. Other than the wifi this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bluejforest
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Do not expect much in regards to room size at this hotel. When they tell you that you are getting a larger room keep in mind that a small room is hardly big enough to turn around in. However, the rooms are well furnished in the standard Hilton decor. This is my second visit to this property and I will come back again.

The lobby and lobby bar are the center attractions in this hotel. Make sure to spend some time admiring the ceiling over a nice cold beverage.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a larger room and preferably away from the train.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a visit to Chicago to see the Art Institute of Chicago. I picked the hotel because it was only a block away from the museum as I had not been to Chicago before and we were not renting a car. Unknowingly, I picked a gem of a hotel. We loved stepping back in time and staying in this gracious old hotel, perfectly restored to as it was when it was built in the 20's. The lobby is just drop dead gorgeous and even if you don't stay here, you should tour the building.

We had a great corner room on the 22 floor, which is an executive floor. It was a great value as we were able to have a leisurely breakfast in the executive lounge including in the nightly rate. We also enjoyed evening hors d'oeuvres and wine in a quiet setting. At some hotels, this is not worth the price, but at the Palmer House, it definitely was. The attendants in the executive lounge were extremely friendly and courteous and went the extra mile to get you anything you wanted. There was a great expresso machine that served delicious coffee. The fresh muffins and croissants were the best. This was not institutional food that some hotels serve.

Our room was very large and furnished tastefully. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linens were soft, definitely first rate. The shower had an adjustable dual head and was very relaxing. It fit both a short person, me, and a tall one, my husband.

I loved that this hotel maintained the historic air with modern amenities. The Concierge set us up with dinner reservations at the great Russian Tea Time, a block away (see my restaurant review). The valets were friendly and helpful and got us taxis when we needed them.

I have to congratulate Hilton, because they definitely have trained their people at the Palmer House well to make a guest feel welcome and special.

The price is what it is. All the hotels I researched in that area were expensive, but this is Chicago and I expected that. The Palmer House couldn't be a more convenient location for most anything you want to do in Chicago. We walked quite a bit to look at historic buildings all around us. It was so nice to come home to after a long day of sightseeing. Rarely have we stayed in such a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, if possible. The executive level is definitely worth the money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple