“Beautiful hotel, good location, but LOUD”

Palmer House A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for a couple nights. The hotel lobby is beautiful and the facilities are excellent. It's just blocks from the Lake so the location is very central and near many attractions and the train system as well. The rooms themselves are quiet small but very clean and well maintained. The hotel staff that I interacted with was also very friendly and helpful. My big complaint about the place is how loud it gets. The walls are paper thin and I can hear people walking down the hallway as well as my neighbors talking. I stayed over a weekend with lots of party-goers so my room got quiet loud from all the people drunkenly talking loudly outside.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Ishawa S, Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for pointing out so many positive things about our hotel in you comment. We do take to heart your opinion of our property and I am pleased to hear that you like the hotel for multiple reasons. I do want to apologize for the noise that you were able to hear while trying to rest in your room.

Despite our best efforts, we don’t always get the floors as quite as we would like them, especially when it comes to drunken guests. Please forgive us wile we work on the noise levels.

Thank you again for your wonderful comment.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,538)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Check in staff rude, rooms extremely small for the price, valet expensive, should have had a king size bed instead got a double bed.....Check in staff wanted nothing to do with helping me when I made a reservation for a king bed. Bathroom very small and hotel is very noisy in hallways

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Ishawa S, Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Hello Valued Guest,

I am really bothered to read that one of my guests had an experience like this. I understand that although we try to make every stay perfect, there may be times when a guest stay doest not go as well as we may hope. I always want he opportunity to turn a guest stay around when it does not start off well. If things are not going to you're liking during your stay, please ask for the hotel night manger. I love to sit in a one on one conference with my guests to hear about what they are experiencing. It is my job to make sure that you get a wonderful experience and with my high confidence in the talents of our employees, I feel that we could have made a difference.

Thank you for your comments and I will address some of the issues that you have raised.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here 4 nights and it's a beautiful hotel and walking distance to everything. What I didn't like was not having a small frig. or a coffee in the room. If they'd add these 2 things it would be perfect! We really enjoyed our stay. Clean rooms and friendly staff!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Perfect location to access what Chicago has to offer. Be careful to pick the side of the hotel you walk out from or you are in the south side if that's not where you want to go. One thing I wasn't too happy about was the cleanliness of the room and the lack of concern or follow up from the front desk.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked myself into this one to try another brand in the Hilton chain, during my maiden visit to Chicago. Its bang in the middle of the city and very well suited for leisure travellers. The rooms are indeed old fashioned yet nice. It is very well connected by train lines and finding cabs are not an issue through the day. Ample restaurants in and around with a Starbucks just as you exit. Since my room rate did not include breakfast, I found this feature quite useful. The hotel has a beautiful lobby cum bar. I am making a mention of this as such interiors are rare today with the contemporary style hotels picking up. As for the service, the staff doesn't smile that much but they are helpful.

1  Thank HippieInHeels
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent two nights at the Palmer House. The lobby is worth a visit even if you are not staying there. The rooms were classic, and clean. As my wife and I were travelling with our 30 year old son, we paid a $25/night upgrade to get a room with a second bathroom. Well worth it. The beds were double beds, not the queens that we're used to, and that was OK. The location, just a few blocks from Millennium Park, was fantastic. Everything in the Loop is within walking distance. There is a subway stop, Red Line, just outside the door. Instead of using the Palmer House parking ($42/day) we used Spothero to find a garage a couple of blocks away for $53 for two days. We're looking forward to our next stay at the Palmer House.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After a rocky start to our vacation - my wallet was pick-pocketed as we were getting off train to go to hotel-the accommodations were lovely. We paid the extra $$ to get a room on higher floor and glad that we did. Even though we were on 15th floor, we could still hear the L train, albeit faintly, rumble by the hotel. A room on a lower floor would have been a nightmare.

Our only experience with the restaurants in the hotel left a poor impression. It was mid-afternoon and the dining room was not serving lunch so we opted for the seating area in the lobby where we were assured we would be able to get a sandwich or salad. The area was not at all busy. We waited, and waited and waited and were never greeted or given a menu. After approximately 10 minutes of no service, we left.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on higher level or you will be unhappy with train noise.