“Nice Hotel; close to everything”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #98 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice Hotel; close to everything”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was a charming hotel; the service was excellent; loved my time here. As a slight nit pic, the rooms did not have certain amenities that I appreciate (e.g., coffee maker, fridge, etc.) and the room servcie was slow (over an hour). But, the room was very nice. The location was close to everything--I walked to the magnificent mile (might be about a mile away), walked to the navy pier, a few blocks to Millenium Park, tons of restaurantes nearby. It was also really convenient to have CVS across the street and Target just a block away for all the little things you may have forgot to pack. Close to the subway--when it's working would be a good option--although as of summer 2014 the blue line was under construction and it was a hassle getting to the hotel from O'Hare (they made you detrain, get on a shuttle bus, and then get on another train)...A cab from O'Hare to the hotel is about $50 and an hour ride.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,736)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Once again, we choose Palmer House. If you go to Chicago and want to really experience the heart of the city - stay here. it's an icon of the hotels based on history - from the ballrooms and high ceilings to the pictures in the halls of celebrities who have stayed in the past. The location is great - only a few blocks from Michigan Ave & Art Institute and within a block of all the major downtown shopping.

likes - The key staff has been loyal to this hotel for years and make us feel like we're visiting family each time. and a shout out to Rasha and Ernest for remembering us EVERY time!
dislikes - true, one year, coffee pots no longer came in rooms by default.but if you know that, you plan around it. There's a StarBucks in the hotel and an exec lounge that has a great setup for breakfast, snacks and happy hour 7 days a week.

Room Tip: Try for a room with 2 bathrooms. There aren't as many, but the size difference of the room make...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for a couple nights. The hotel lobby is beautiful and the facilities are excellent. It's just blocks from the Lake so the location is very central and near many attractions and the train system as well. The rooms themselves are quiet small but very clean and well maintained. The hotel staff that I interacted with was also very friendly and helpful. My big complaint about the place is how loud it gets. The walls are paper thin and I can hear people walking down the hallway as well as my neighbors talking. I stayed over a weekend with lots of party-goers so my room got quiet loud from all the people drunkenly talking loudly outside.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for pointing out so many positive things about our hotel in you comment. We do take to heart your opinion of our property and I am pleased to hear that you like the hotel for multiple reasons. I do want to apologize for the noise that you were able to hear while trying to rest in your room.

Despite our best efforts, we don’t always get the floors as quite as we would like them, especially when it comes to drunken guests. Please forgive us wile we work on the noise levels.

Thank you again for your wonderful comment.
Bourbon, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Check in staff rude, rooms extremely small for the price, valet expensive, should have had a king size bed instead got a double bed.....Check in staff wanted nothing to do with helping me when I made a reservation for a king bed. Bathroom very small and hotel is very noisy in hallways

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hello Valued Guest,

I am really bothered to read that one of my guests had an experience like this. I understand that although we try to make every stay perfect, there may be times when a guest stay doest not go as well as we may hope. I always want he opportunity to turn a guest stay around when it does not start off well. If things are not going to you're liking during your stay, please ask for the hotel night manger. I love to sit in a one on one conference with my guests to hear about what they are experiencing. It is my job to make sure that you get a wonderful experience and with my high confidence in the talents of our employees, I feel that we could have made a difference.

Thank you for your comments and I will address some of the issues that you have raised.
Tennessee
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here 4 nights and it's a beautiful hotel and walking distance to everything. What I didn't like was not having a small frig. or a coffee in the room. If they'd add these 2 things it would be perfect! We really enjoyed our stay. Clean rooms and friendly staff!

NY
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Perfect location to access what Chicago has to offer. Be careful to pick the side of the hotel you walk out from or you are in the south side if that's not where you want to go. One thing I wasn't too happy about was the cleanliness of the room and the lack of concern or follow up from the front desk.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked myself into this one to try another brand in the Hilton chain, during my maiden visit to Chicago. Its bang in the middle of the city and very well suited for leisure travellers. The rooms are indeed old fashioned yet nice. It is very well connected by train lines and finding cabs are not an issue through the day. Ample restaurants in and around with a Starbucks just as you exit. Since my room rate did not include breakfast, I found this feature quite useful. The hotel has a beautiful lobby cum bar. I am making a mention of this as such interiors are rare today with the contemporary style hotels picking up. As for the service, the staff doesn't smile that much but they are helpful.

1 Thank HippieInHeels