“Convenient Spot”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Convenient Spot”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a very plush hotel with a fabulous lobby and in a very convenient location. But I found it not especially friendly (after 2 weeks on the SO friendly West Coast) and a bit stiff and corporate for our liking.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your comment. Im glad that you enjoyed the hotel while you were here. It has been and always will be a pleasure to serve you. We want to make sure that you feel valued, cared for and respected.

Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,791)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tumwater, Washington
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had the benefit to stay at the Palmer house for several days for a conference. I usually would not be able to afford such accommodations as the price is not cheap. However I have greatly enjoyed my stay at this beautiful historic property. The lobby, architecture, beautiful preserved historic touches, elegant details and craftsmanship, are coupled with exceptional customer service by all of the staff I encountered from the front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, and room service. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and linens were like new. All throughout the hotel are gorgeous black and white old photos of Chicago from the early 1900s on. The Empire room here used to host many big-name performers, unfortunately for some reason they choose not to do that anymore which is somewhat disappointing as this Hotel could really use some top-notch entertainment. The restaurants here are very expensive as far as I am concerned, however there are much more affordable options within easy walking distance and a wonderful bakery right on the corner. There is also a Starbucks that is very efficient on the street level as well as a restaurant called Freshii that offers wonderful smoothies and all sorts of very healthy options. This was a pleasant surprise. The room is beautiful. I love the colors and the designs and the old world charm coupled with the modern touches. The free Wi-Fi has been great and a strong signal throughout. It is disappointing that there is not a mini fridge nor a coffee maker in the room. Several other conference attendees were very upset about this. So my suggestion would be if you book a room here be sure to ask for a room that has these items if they are if importance to you. The conference facility has worked out very well for our needs. The acoustics and technology work great, the large meeting rooms are temperature controlled perfectly, and there are enough elevators and space to accommodate everyone comfortably. Housekeeping staff has been very attentive to detail and kept the rooms exceptionally clean, maintenance had to come up and unclog my shower drain, all of which was done very promptly and without any further problems. I ordered a cheeseburger for room service and it came very quickly and was juicy and delicious. The view outside of my room stares straight across into a complete brick wall full of other rooms and windows of an adjacent apartment building. I have the opportunity to use the fitness center and was pleased at the vast amount of elliptical machines, treadmills, weightlifting equipment, steam room, locker room, and small to medium size pool.

The location of this hotel is in what is called the Loop. One local told me this was a somewhat safe area and most of the crime in Chicago is happening in the neighborhoods. For the most part that is probably true however there is an element that hangs out within a block or two from the hotel and it would be advisable to travel in groups and be cognizant of your safety. There are many tourists and business people all over this area though which was comforting. With that, I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel. I would especially recommend the accommodations for anyone who really appreciates history and elegance. The Palmer House staff have done a remarkable and commendable job at preserving the beauty and history of this property while at the same time modernizing it for comfort and timeless elegance.

Room Tip: Be sure your room has a mini fridge and coffee maker if this is important to you. Not all rooms have...
1 Thank Tundra74
Hello Valued Customer.

I want to thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor.

We have heard our guest loud and clear and we are working on put mini fridges in every room. A few of the floors are already done and we will accomplish the entire hotel in the near future. Its comments like yours that help us get better in all areas that are important to our guests.

I also want to tell you about the partnership that our Security team has with the police department. We provide the police with free meals indie of our staff cafeteria. This provides us with a heavier than usual police presence in and around the building and ensures a very quick response time. We have not had any incidents in the sounding areas of the hotel in almost 7 years.

I want to thank you again for your wonderful comments. It has been a real pleasure reading what you had to say and even more of a pleasure serving you.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is my 2nd stay at this hotel in as many years. Both times they charged my credit card x2! Last year it took them over 3 months to address the issue - Thank goodness for AMEX helping me. I just checked out of the hotel on Friday and opened my AMEX statement "just to see" and there it was - the 'ole double charge. I have called the hotel and their finance director is on vacation until the 25th - and, according to CS team that will answer the phone, there is no one else to assist in her absence. I reached out to AMEX again, as I am sure they can address the issue on my behalf. it's a shame - the hotel is lovely (once you get past the quirky elevator issues) and the location is perfect. I had a room with elevated subway train noise this time, but even that was tolerable -It is a big city after all!

The hotel has a lot going for it, if they can figure out how to bill appropriately. I don't think I will be back. I had a week booked in April 2015 for a work event - but no longer!

1 Thank Elizabeth S
Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello Valued Customer,

I want to start out by apologizing for the billing problems that you encountered. It is never our intentions to over bill a guest of the hotel but something as simple as a double click of a mouse can cause this mistake. I understand that seeing a double charge and trying to get it removed causes you to spend more of your precious time and attention on something that we should have gotten right the first time. I hope that we get another opportunity at giving you a perfect stay.

Thank you foe sharing.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The room was so spacious! The concierge team was very knowledgeable and made great recommendations. The location was in the middle of everything I wanted to see and all that I wanted to do. We could walk to great shopping, there was a city bus that was so convenient to get to the Magnificent Mile. I stayed here 4 days, but would love to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This Is An Old Fashioned Institution! Amazing Lobby Will Take Your Breath Away.Staff Is Friendly,Professional,Well Groomed And Efficient.We Rented (2)Rooms June24th/25th,Nice Rooms,Comfy Beds,Pay For WiFi.Would Highly Recommend.I Am Going Back Again Soon,Looking Forward to Our Stay.It Is Right Downtown.Just Take The Blue Line From O'Hare And For $2.50 per Person You've Arrived,Takes 45 Min Get Off On The18th Stop,(Monroe) Taxi Is $35-40.00

Room Tip: Go High,Just Go High,Its Beautiful
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing a review.

Im so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we can look to see you in the near future. Your tips about transportation are right on point. I will share your wonderful comments about the staff with the staff.

Thank you again.
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 August 2014

If you love beautiful old buildings and historic places, stay here! If you expect fancy newer hotels, search elsewhere. That being said, I enjoyed staying in this beautiful historic hotel. I loved everything about it. Everything seemed perfect to me and I slept great for the 3 nights I spent there. We stayed on the 17 floor and I could hear the subway pass by but it just sounded like an air conditioner kicking on. The hotel was conveniently located and the staff very friendly and helpful! I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Stay here for the history!!

Room Tip: Choose an upper level floor if you are concerned about noise from outside. I did hear my neighbor s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Luke S, Front Office Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello Scase,

We wanted to take a moment to thank you for the wonderful review of our property! We are very proud of Palmer House's history and it makes us extremely greatful to get feedback, such as yours, that our guests enjoy our History as much as we do. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Please feel free to reach out to us if we can assist in anyways on your next visit.

Thanks

Luke Sneddon
Front Office Manager
(312) 726-7500
Lodi, California
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This really is a special hotel, built at the turn of the century, it offers old world qualities modern hotels don't achieve. It's the little things, the weight and quality of the hardware used on the doors, to the spectacular ceilings. I've only stayed on the concierge levels so I can't speak to all rooms, but my stays have been wonderful. With public transportation, the Red line, right out on State Street, your minutes away from Wrigley field.

One nice perk for the concierge level is a private elevator providing access to the concierge level rooms. Did I mention it has a bench as well! Being an older hotel, the elevator service leaves something to be desired. On one stay, I was attending a large IT conference and on breaks the entire conference attempted to head to their rooms to check in via laptop at the office. The elevators where simply overwhelmed on breaks, but can you imagine the look of my fellow IT professionals when they realized I was using a private elevator, located around the corner, that only went to the concierge floors! It was hilarious, and became a running joke during our stay. The bench was the topping on the pie.

While I've been here on business multiple times, I've also stayed with my wife so she could experience this special property (I don't want to oversell it - it's not an upscale Ritz Carlton). We stay at resorts often, so upscale accommodations are not new, but there is something special about a well maintained property of this age. It doesn't feel tired, but rather classy. One of the few hotels I've stayed at where I've sent pictures home to show my wife the hotel. I travel a lot on business, and I'm used to staying in 'nice/upscale', full service hotels, but in reality they are usually 15 - 30 years old, and the furnishings are out of date modern. I'm sure you know what I mean.

You most likely won't get the price break you can obtain at other properties located between Michigan and State, but the stay is unique. You may not want to stay hear on every visit, but it's worth it to treat yourself at least once.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business