“Great place for parents with kids going to Lollapalooza”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #98 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Evansville, Indiana
“Great place for parents with kids going to Lollapalooza”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We wanted a hotel near Grant Park since our kids (17 & 20) were going to Lollapalooza at Grant Park. We also wanted something centrally located where we wouldn't need to get our car or take a cab. I read all of the reviews and found that the Palmer fit all of our needs. I was a little worried since some of the reviews mentioned tiny rooms and/or being located near noisy elevators but there will always be a bad review or two. Our fears were solidified when, after check in, we entered an elevator with a disgruntled British woman who was clearly unhappy. She couldn't stop complaining for the entire ride on the elevator. When she got off of the elevator we all wondered what our experience would be like.

Let me back up...I booked through Priceline and called a few days later to put in a few requests. We were reserving 2 rooms for 4 nights and I wanted the rooms near each other and I wanted one of the rooms to have 2 double beds. When I booked through Priceline all they showed left were Kings. When I contacted the Palmer directly, they had no record of my reservations through Priceline. They stated I could book 2 rooms as insurance and cancel up to the day before our stay if need be once we worked out the problem with Priceline. I got everything worked out and the hotel was very helpful. The rooms were rather large, were not near the elevator, they accomodated my requests (the rooms were connected with one being a double and one a king).

We had a very nice stay. No problems - very comfortable beds. All hotel staff were friendly. The only downside is the parking. $51 per day - but you're in downtown Chicago where every square foot of real estate has a price. They also charge for internet - wireless or wired but with more and more hot spots popping up this may not be a problem much longer but if you're on the 10th floor you may be stuck.

Hotel is very close to The Art Institute. Within walking distance of Magificent Mile (a long walk - 1.4 miles). Near shopping on State Street. We walked to Navy Pier. There is a Cafe on the corner right next to the hotel (no access via hotel but cheaper than eating in the hotel). Starbucks within hotel. Willis Tower, Millenium and Grant Parks within walking distance. Hop on/Hop off double decker bus has a stop at Palmer. The El is directly outside the hotel. Water taxi from stop at Willis Tower is within walking distance.

I would return. I could not find anything to complain about.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,750)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We booked this hotel at a tour operator in Germany at a great rate. We liked it a lot. The room was small but clean and comfortable. We did not hear our neighbours or suffered from a small bathroom. Everything was fine. We had dinner at Potter's Lounge (a bar style restaurant) which was fine with good cocktails, burgers and salads. Ther lobby in art deco style is just amazing. The hotel is located within the loop and close to everything. It is just a short walk from the Art Institute and Millenium Park. We liked it a lot and will come again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I stayed at the Palmer Hotel 7/29/2010 - 8/2/2010. PLEASE DONT LISTEN THE BAD REVIEWS OF THIS PLACE!!! I almost stayed at another hotel because of the negative reviews. The hotel was perfect I arrived at 8:00am for early checkin and did not have any issues. I am a clean freak, to the point I was prepared to go across the street to CVS and by cleaning supplies if needed. The room was very clean , I doubled check the bath room drains and shower curtain and under the bed and it met my expections. I did turn down the comfortor because I dont trust that to be clean no matter where I stay. I had a room with two double beds and found it to be spacious. Yes, the bathroom counter could have been bigger - but at least it was clean with granite top and marble floors and more mirrors than I will ever need! Yes, the view outside my room was of the building next door but you are in downtown chicago what do you expect (room 14-264)! Also the train is near the hotel but I didnt hear it nor did I allow it to hender my stay! This Hotel is right in the middle of everthing, everything is within walking distance. Michigan Mile, Millineum park, restaurants, Filen's Basement and starbucks is INSIDE the hotel!!! We only took a taxi when we went to Gibsons steak house it 's further north by Ohio and Rush streets. $6 taxi ride.

Everytime we returned to the room it was clean with fresh towels - again no complaints. The concierge was very helpful but the line was very long. TIP B&B restaurant on state st. next door to the Hotel will deliver to your hotel room - we had breakfast in bed every morning and the food was sooo good!!

I have no complaints about the hotel other than they should add a dance club then it would be PERFECT.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank shushopin
sacramento, ca
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Nice hotel. Great downtown location. Had a room above the smoking floor. I basically had a smoking room. Pretty strong odor. Hotel staff switched my room the next day. Was pleased with the diamond floor. The other floors are very dated.

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bustraveler0000
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 August 2010

i arrived with 16 yr old daughter and her friend on Friday of Lollapalooza around 12:30. They went to concert, hotel was a zoo and rooms were not ready till 3. I had been up all night. I sat in the lobby for 2 hours where it was horribly loud, crowded and the muzak was screaming. Finally I went to a small room off the lobby, put down my 3 pieces of luggage and put my head down for 30 min. I was awakened by a security guard who told me I could not 'sleep on the floor" I explained that I was exhausted, waiting for a room, but he made me move.

Next, i checked in with my HHonors number. The clerk replied" you haven't used this in six months". That's all he said. not welcome, nada. I checked into the small dark room on 13th floor room 244 where I had a view of a brick wall. The room had no coffee maker, nor did it have a refrigerator.

The next day, the room attendants did not replace the dirty glasses, nor did they dust the furniture or vacuum beneath the bed., I went to the workout room where I was charged $10 to use a treadmill and bike. The pool was too short to do laps. The hotel also has no free internet, just free boarding pass.

The final straw was when I checked in my luggage the last day. The tall fellow said in a rude way "THANKS SO MUCH" when I didn't have a tip. i was out of cash and came back with money to tip on picking up the luggage. However, he was quite rude.

I stay in Chicago every year, sometimes twice. This hotel is no different than a Motel 6 for what it offers. The food and drinks are overpriced. The employees are rude. I will never ever recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank LLindaC
London
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This hotel is centrally located. We had a standard room which was very clean and spacious. You can print boarding passes for free in the ground floor business centre, but have to pay for wi fi connection for anything else - I always find this very strange in any hotel! For a plush city hotel I also felt that bath robes and coffee making facilities should have been provided in the room. For breakfast try the Corner House bakery on the corner outside the hotel - great food and prices.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 August 2010

This hotel has great amenities and is one block from the amazing Mullennium park. On two rail lines, including right on the Red Line, it's perfect to get to Wrigleyville. Some people have complained about iPhone coverage and mine is 100% everywhere in the hotel (even works in the city subway - something New York needs to get
on!). The room is smaller but adequate, with a desk and nice leather and wood swivel chair. The decorations in the room are tasteful and the hotel lobby is beautiful. There isn't really a view in the room but with the park next door, who needs that? Overall - great hotel! I am sure that being on the L line side would be miserable but request another area. It's not the Intercontinental Paris but it's pretty close.

• Stayed August 2010