“Housekeeping was lax on an otherwise good property”

The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago
Ranked #46 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“Housekeeping was lax on an otherwise good property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We check in to the Ritz, our third Four Seasons property in a month, and find a prior guest's used underwear on the floor or our room. What else did housekeeping miss? Well, turn down service the first of our two nights was missed. Then, to cap it off, the hypo allergenic pillows that we sought the first day? Gone. The housekeepers removed the pillows after the first night without any explanation!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear RicoAvocado,

I am sorry to hear of the challenges you experienced from the start of your stay with us. Our standards were clearly not being met and I trust when these unfortunate mishaps were brought to staff’s attention it was immediately brought back to the housekeeping department and investigated for future prevention. This is not the kind of experience we want you to walk out of the hotel with and if you do decide join us again please reach out to myself as it would be a pleasure to personally welcome you back to the hotel.

Tom Segesta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

When we arrived it was too early to check in. Said they could have a room ready for us in about an hour but would have to exchange our lake view for a city view. We said ok. Two and a half hours later they called to say room was ready but now it was pass regular check in time, so we could have had a lake view anyway. Concierge couldn't find info on line for a walk around beer tasting. I found it on line myself. Our room temp was set at 65 degrees but the actual temp was 75. Had to call twice to have someone come and look at it. The shower barely had any water coming out of it, so had to run my head under the tub faucet to make sure the shampoo was out of my hair. When I tried to order my omelet with part egg whites, the waiter didn't seem to understand what I wanted, like I was from another planet. The next day at a private breakfast I needed cream for my coffee so I took one off another table that had no one sitting at it, rather than take it away from someone who was clearly using it at our very large table across the way and after I sat down the waiter took the cream away from the other person and sat it in front of me like I did something wrong. I also had a cup that had a chip and crack in it and coffee leaked from it. That night we had cigarette smoke coming through our vents in our bathroom. This morning the bread was stale at breakfast and I found a hair in my fruit. When I privately told the waiter, he said he would tell the chef but no one took away the buffet fruit bowl and replaced it and there were at least five other people came after me for the breakfast. I know this sounds unbelievable for a five star hotel, but it's true. We are still here for one more night, wonder what tomorrow will bring?!? Oh yea, forget to mention that there were stains on our pillow cases and holes in our sheet.

Room Tip: Fairfield Inn down the street. 1/4 of the cost of the Ritz and it even serves breakfast for free. St...
Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Denise B
Dear Denise B,

On behalf of the hotel I first must extend my most sincere apologies for the lapses in service you received throughout your recent stay. These mishaps you encountered are an embarrassment to the service standards we hold ourselves to and are in no way reflective of the home we wish to create for our guests.

We would be honored at an opportunity to regain your trust and if you would kindly reach out to our Assistant Director of Rooms, Randy.Diamond@Fourseasons.com he would very much like to speak with you on how we can begin. If we do have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future it would be an honor to personally welcome you back to the hotel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

The Ritz did not disappoint. They went out of their way to make our family feel special. Kids got a tent in the room, kids bathrobes/slippers to match and had little gifts for each of them. My wife was treated with birthday amenities. Well worth the price of the room.

Stayed November 2013
Dear Michael B,

I am so happy to hear your Ritz-Carlton experience was fun for the whole family! Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton Chicago for your family vacation and we look forward to welcoming you all back soon!

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Despite a nice stay, the Ritz Carlton proved to be disappointing and not in line with my expectations from the brand. You're in a timewarp here, back to the 80s. Green marble, wall to wall carpeting, heavy drapes. Forget the design revolution that has wept through America. This is the 'old' version of new luxury. Neither classic antiques or modern. Stuck in time. The boxy bedroom was comfortable, although the bed smooshy and soft. A/C switching on and off every minute, making a racket. A bland bathroom, worthy of any other hotel. The non functional internet (300k download speed, worse than most countries in Africa) was a good opportunity to experience excellent service, with a friendly, diligent, and competent hotline, that didn't solve the problem. Food throughout the hotel, from the breakfast to the restaurants was decent, but nothing better. Your typical industrial foodservice stuff, prepared with no love and little skill. Not once did breakfast arrive with everything ordered. There is nothing seriously wrong here, just nothing really right or interesting. Mr & Mrs average Jo from out of Town going shopping at the decidedly mid-market Water Tower mall may be impressed. Others, less so.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank i-live-for-lunch
Dear i-live-for-lunch,

Thank you for your feedback, we certainly appreciate your honesty in your recent stay experience. I am sorry to hear you found your experience unfulfilling. We would be honored to have you back and it would be a personal pleasure to show you what makes The Ritz-Carlton Chicago a city staple. Please let me know if you find yourself back this way in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

There are so many reasons to love the Ritz-Carlton Chicago. The location is great, the service is wonderful, and the beds are comfortable. Deca, the restaurant in the hotel, is fantastic, and we ate their frequently on our trip. It's also nice to just have to travel on the elevator to get to shopping, such as Macy's, and other food establishments. It's the place I stay when I visit Chicago.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sparkle713,

It’s wonderful to hear The Ritz-Carlton is where you can call home when visiting Chicago. Thank you for your continued loyalty and support. We appreciate the shared feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were in the city for shopping and dining. From arrival to departure we found the staff cordial, accommodating, and very professional. Our suite was clean, comfortable, up to date, and convenient. We had a very pleasant Michigan Avenue view from both the bedroom and the living room, and a tasty treat of mixed fresh fruit was there for our arrival.
No complaints? Really, no. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
This is one of the truly great hotels in America.

Room Tip: If you will be in a room on the west side, ask for a room above the 20th floor. You'll see very...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank profofphil
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

No one does it better than the Ritz @ Water Tower in Chicago. We have stayed at this location 6-8 days per year since (at least) 1992. Spectacular staff & service, awesome rooms (Lakeside Suites have unmatched views of Navy Pier) and a perfect location for anything retail and every dining experience.

Room Tip: Lakeside suites are the best in town.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business