“Beautiful hotel, great location, lovely service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago

The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago
Ranked #38 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful hotel, great location, lovely service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hi we enjoyed our stay very much in this hotel. Although I had planned to swim, didn't quite make it there since it was a brief stay - 3 nights. We enjoyed it so much we have already booked it for our daughter's graduation next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ThomasSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Crgybnk,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor!

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton next year for your daughter's graduation!

Tom Segesta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
West Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our first visit to Chicago. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton from 7-9-14 through 7-14-14. This hotel was wonderful!!! Room was very clean and up to date. Internet etc. Double sinks. Jazz band in the lobby Thurs-Sat. We had breakfast there every morning. Very good. The staff was very helpful and happy. But then we found the people of Chicago to have the same attitude. We don't think it was a "put on". It is located on the north end of the magnificent mile and was within walking distance of the sites we wanted to see.

The concierge was extremely helpful in suggesting restaurants and things to see (more on that later.) We worked with a gentleman named Dozzy. He was great and really made a great impact on our stay. He sent us emails before our arrival so we could research his suggestions and make our decisions.

Sight Seeing: We went on a architectural river/lake cruise. We booked through Wendella. I was expecting a so-so experience. It was fantastic!! The cruise guide was named Evan and he was great. So many great things he explained about Chicago, history, buildings, business and many facts that were very interesting. Great tour. 90 minutes.

Baseball Game: Went to see the Cubs vs. Braves. Really cool. Wrigley field was on our bucket list.

John Hancock Building: We went to the restaurant (Signature) on the 95th floor for lunch. Very reasonably priced. Rack of lamb $18. Roasted chicken $15. You get the idea. The observation deck charges $18 for admission. Why not get lunch included for the same price? Great service, excellent food, fantastic view. What's not to like?

Jazz Club: We went to a jazz club called the Green Mill. Performing that evening was Victor Goines. What a treat!!! He plays clarinet and saxophone. WOW what a performance. Really a fun night.

Restaurants: Over the years we have found that some restaurants owned by celebrity chefs are riding on the name of the chef and not the quality of the food. This is NOT the case with Rick Bayless. We went to two of his restaurants (Topolobompo and Frontera Grill). The food was excellent and the service was spot on. Can't say enough good about these restaurants.

We also went to a tapas restaurant called Cafe Iberico. Come to find out, it is the largest tapas restaurant in the world. Three floors seating 600 people. Don't let that scare you. Service was fast and friendly. Food was delivered timely and was delicious. Very authentic. Reminded us of Madrid and Barcelona. So much so, we went there twice.

We also went to two Italian restaurants: Ricardos and Coco Pazzo. Very authentic. They both felt like you had just arrived in Florence, Italy......without the red-eye flight over the Atlantic. Wonderful.

Last but not least. We had to try the deep dish Chicago pizza, hence we went to Pizzeria UNO. They were the first restaurant to serve/invent deep dish pizza. It was really good and a lot of fun.

Chicago is a great city!! We can't wait to go back.

Cleanliness
2 Thank Scott142
Dear Scott142,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful visit in Chicago! I am thrilled that Dozzy was so helpful to you and that you were able to visit the best of what Chicago had to offer!

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

With a name like Ritz-Carlton I walked in with high standards already. I was disappointed right away when I came to check in and found my room type had been changed from something I had guaranteed MONTHS AGO. I had even called a few days before and was reassured my room type was confirmed. The front desk agent who assisted me handed me my keys and I went to my room. Imagine my surprise when I found out not only did I have a city view room when I had requested and been confirmed in a lake view room but instead of one king bed, I had 2 queens. That is just unacceptable. I went back down to the front desk immediately to let them know and the front desk agent seemed very flustered and started typing and clicking things and it was several minutes before she told me there was nothing that could be done. I stood there in disbelief for a few moments before I told her I had been confirmed in that room type days ago. She said there was nothing she could do and apologized for the inconvenience. I told her I wanted a manager to speak to me and she said no one was available but she would have them call my room.

That never happened. I waited a few hours before I had a business dinner. When I came back I again asked to speak to a manager and was told no one was there. I packed up and left and I went to stay at a beautiful property down the street who were more than happy to give me a wonderful room and a king bed.

I never received any sort of follow up from a manager regarding this and I don't think I ever will. This is not a Four Seasons Hotel at all. Its almost an embarrassment to be associated with this brand.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ThomasSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear cland143,

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We truly appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to continue to learn and grow.

We are interested in speaking with you regarding your disappointment in your recent stay with us.

If you are interested in discussing your stay further, please contact my assistant at 312.573.5002 to set up a time to discuss the issues you encountered during your stay.

Thank you again for your honesty and feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence in our hotel.

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Room was average and service was poor. Glasses were not replaced when used from the mini bar. Pillow menu was limited if not unexistent. When I asked at the concierge to clean the room late, he said of course, and when i got to the hotel at midnight nothing was done.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elias F
Dear Elias F,

Thank you for sharing you recent experience with us on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback as we are always looking for ways to learn and grow.

I am sorry you were disappointed in the servicing of your room and the lack of a pillow menu. I have shared your comments with our team.

If you would like to further discuss your stay, please contact my assistant at 312.573.5002 to set up a time to speak about your experience with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence in our hotel.

Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

You will not be disappointed if you choose this hotel while visiting Chicago. I stayed in a suite and the room was comfortable, clean and very pleasing to the eye. The gym was probably the best equipped facility I've seen in any hotel. It was spacious, it had complementary bottled water and towels and offered many choices including cardio as well as weight training equipment. The most notable and memorable experience though was the quality of service from the staff at the Ritz Carlton. I'm including everyone, the culture at this hotel makes the stay a very pleasurable one. Lou

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LOU D
Dear Lou D,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor!

We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and were pleased with all aspects of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that your experience with our staff was so positive as I believe that is always what makes a hotel stay so memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is our absolute favorite hotel. From the moment we arrive until we leave it is a pleasure. The staff is always lovely, the rooms are a dream and we always feel very special. The experience exceeds our expectations. We have stayed there many times over the past 25 years and every time are sad when we have to leave. It is the perfect restorative oasis in a wonderful city.

Room Tip: I love high and facing south-east.
Dear Robyn S.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel) on TripAdvisor!

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share you feedback and I am thrilled that our hotel is your favorite!

Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Love this location! Close to the lake for romantic walks or running for exercise; right on Michigan for shopping, tons of food and drink establishments all around and easy to access the "L" for a Cubbie's game.
Room was large with amazing views! The front desk, room service, and house cleaning staff I interacted with were all super nice. John and Dozzy at concierge were perfect!! Rommell is a friendly and wonderful bartender at the Dece in the lobby.

Room Tip: Corner room facing lake.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear JPGTR,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback!

I am delighted that you had so many friendly interactions with our staff and were able to experience some of the many amenities that Chicago has to offer.